Ketogenic Diet

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    3qj9fs.jpg

Dude, YOU don't have any muscle, and you look to be around 6% bodyfat.

1) i'm about 9% body fat

2) we have different definitions of "having muscle"
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Post up your stats then.

EDIT: It's obvious you're an ectomorph. You have a hard time putting on muscle mass naturally, and you stay lean easily.

I'm an metso/endo so I have an easier time putting on mass and a harder time taking off fat. This is why I am not worried about my muscle. I know with proper dieting and exercise I know I can put on mass with reduced fat gain. You, as an ectomorph, do not have that luxury. You have to worry about preserving muscle mass because for you, it is easy to lose it and hard to keep/gain.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Post up your stats then

what stats? i'm not sure what you're looking for... or why you're looking for it.

I just wanted to point out that you don't believe a person can build muscle on keto yet you're trying to get to 6% body fat, which can only happen if you build muscle or starve yourself.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Post up your stats then

what stats? i'm not sure what you're looking for... or why you're looking for it.

I just wanted to point out that you don't believe a person can build muscle on keto yet you're trying to get to 6% body fat, which can only happen if you build muscle or starve yourself.

That's not true...build muscle or starve yourself? How about, shed fat with a sensible caloric deficit and maintain the muscle mass you already have?
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    Again with the jackie chan meme.

Muscle mass has NOTHING to do with being able to get to 6% bodyfat.

You must be a professional troll or a completely misguided.

By the way, "stats" mean your measurements:
    Weight
    Height
    Neck, arm, chest, waist, thigh measurements.

Christian Bale - The Machinist. No muscle mass, really low bodyfat.

The_Machinist_06.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Post up your stats then

That's not true...build muscle or starve yourself? How about, shed fat with a sensible caloric deficit and maintain the muscle mass you already have?

obviously. i don't know if you read the whole conversation. dude is eating 1500 cal while his BMR is 1800. that won't maintain the muscle he already has.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Again with the jackie chan meme.

Muscle mass has NOTHING to do with being able to get to 6% bodyfat.

You must be a professional troll or a completely misguided.

By the way, "stats" mean your measurements:
    Weight
    Height
    Neck, arm, chest, waist, thigh measurements.

Christian Bale - The Machinist. No muscle mass, really low bodyfat.

The_Machinist_06.jpg

muscle mass has everything to do with getting to 6% body fat in a healthful manner. because guess what? the only way to have low body fat is to have high lean body mass. you can increase lbm by growing muscle through exercise and - wait for it - eating more.

you can eat at your TDEE and drop body fat simply by building muscle and eating a high fat diet.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Post up your stats then

obviously. i don't know if you read the whole conversation. dude is eating 1500 cal while his BMR is 1800. that won't maintain the muscle he already has.

well, I wasn't responding to the misguided and completely illogical approach of a man eating 1500 calories in an attempt to get down to 6% bodyfat. I was responding to your post.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Post up your stats then

well, I wasn't responding to the misguided and completely illogical approach of a man eating 1500 calories in an attempt to get down to 6% bodyfat. I was responding to your post.

haha in a vacuum you were absolutely right. in this case, not so much.
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    muscle mass has everything to do with getting to 6% body fat in a healthful manner. because guess what? the only way to have low body fat is to have high lean body mass. you can increase lbm by growing muscle through exercise and - wait for it - eating more.

you can eat at your TDEE and drop body fat simply by building muscle and eating a high fat diet.

Again, like our previous argument, post a legit source. Show me some correlation between muscle mass and fat loss.

Maybe you think muscle helps burn fat because muscle uses calories. From the website in your own profile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-many-calories-does-muscle-really-burn-and-why-its-not-about-calories-anyway/
    a pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories per day

6 calories. So even if I used steroids, HGH, insulin, IGF-1, et. al. and put on 100 pounds of muscle, I'm only burning 600 extra calories in a 24 hour period. Many people can burn that in a 90 minutes or less doing cardio.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Again, like our previous argument, post a legit source. Show me some correlation between muscle mass and fat loss.

Maybe you think muscle helps burn fat because muscle uses calories. From the website in your own profile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-many-calories-does-muscle-really-burn-and-why-its-not-about-calories-anyway/
    a pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories per day

6 calories. So even if I used steroids, HGH, insulin, IGF-1, et. al. and put on 100 pounds of muscle, I'm only burning 600 extra calories in a 24 hour period. Many people can burn that in a 90 minutes or less doing cardio.
    um, i'm not saying increasing muscle mass encourages fat loss (though it does - just wasn't the point i was making), i'm saying that if you increase muscle mass, you will have a lower body fat by default because your lean body mass will be higher.

clear?
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    um, i'm not saying increasing muscle mass encourages fat loss (though it does - just wasn't the point i was making), i'm saying that if you increase muscle mass, you will have a lower body fat by default because your lean body mass will be higher.

clear?

Your concept is backwards, you don't gain muscle to lose body fat.

Tell me how you gain lean muscle mass. Caloric surplus. What happens when you have a caloric surplus with exercise? Muscle and fat gain.

Even if a genie could magically pack on 50 pounds of fat-free muscle mass, I'm still carrying around 57 pounds of fat. You still need a caloric deficit to lose fat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    possibly the worst of the worst!! do NOT DO IT:) terrible unhealthy and just plain STUPID!
    hope this helps:_)
    Kristian Rocco nyc

Yea, cuz' ICE CREAM PIZZA PASTA BEER WINE AND CHOCOLATE is uber healthy.

For something that is the worst of the worst and terribly unhealthy I have never felt better <shrug>

Because the opposite of keto is eating ice cream, pizza, pasta, beer, wine and chocolate for every meal?

The way people on keto talk about keto REALLY puts me off ever trying it. When you say you are skeptical about it and dont think it's sustainable they go CRAZY on you and start sounding like a cult member, it's awful.

LMAO. It is equally ridiculous for you to say that it's unhealthy, unsustainable, etc when YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

That's the kind of talk that drives me CCCRRRAAAAAAAZZZZZYYYYYY.

Do you see any kind of problem with forming an opinion about something that you have no experience with? No, you probably don't, and you'll be in the majority of people in the general forum. :grumble:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

clear?

Tell me how you gain lean muscle mass. Caloric surplus. What happens when you have a caloric surplus with exercise? Muscle and fat gain.

Even if a genie could magically pack on 50 pounds of fat-free muscle mass, I'm still carrying around 57 pounds of fat. You still need a caloric deficit to lose fat.

you can build muscle at a deficit bro. lol you don't understand how any of this actually works.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

clear?

you can build muscle at a deficit bro. lol you don't understand how any of this actually works.

Steroids, noobs to lifting, coming back after a long lay off from lifting or if you're obese. Otherwise it's unlikely muscle will be built during a deficit
  • Acg67
    Options

Do you see any kind of problem with forming an opinion about something that you have no experience with? No, you probably don't, and you'll be in the majority of people in the general forum. :grumble:

LOLLERCOASTER

Do you have to be gay to have an opinion on gay marriage? Do you have to have worked in national government to have an opinion on national politics? Do you have to have fought in a war to have an opinion on war?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

clear?

Steroids, noobs to lifting, coming back after a long lay off from lifting or if you're obese. Otherwise it's unlikely muscle will be built during a deficit

you just gave a lot of scenarios where muscle is build while in a deficit.

if you eat right around your TDEE, eat a high fat diet (so your body gets all its fat needs through diet), and lift heavy, you can build muscle WHILE dropping body fat % simultaneously. this is not because you're lowering the amount of fat in your body, but because you're increasing your LBM, which will offset your body fat %.

it's really simple actually.
  • Acg67
    Options

clear?

if you eat right around your TDEE, eat a high fat diet (so your body gets all its fat needs through diet), and lift heavy, you can build muscle WHILE dropping body fat simultaneously. this is not because you're lowering the amount of fat in your body, but because you're increasing your LBM, which will offset your body fat %.

Contradicting yourself as always. You're either lowering the amount of body fat or you're not. bf% =/= bf
  • CoachReddy
    Options

clear?

if you eat right around your TDEE, eat a high fat diet (so your body gets all its fat needs through diet), and lift heavy, you can build muscle WHILE dropping body fat simultaneously. this is not because you're lowering the amount of fat in your body, but because you're increasing your LBM, which will offset your body fat %.

Contradicting yourself as always. You're either lowering the amount of body fat or you're not. bf% =/= bf

jesus man i didn't include the word "percentage" or use "%" but I assumed you knew what I meant. i know i shouldn't do that. I'll edit.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

LOLLERCOASTER

Do you have to be gay to have an opinion on gay marriage? Do you have to have worked in national government to have an opinion on national politics? Do you have to have fought in a war to have an opinion on war?

Yup, you are always here to imply that personal experience doesn't matter when forming an opinion. You are absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

Yes, to understand something fully, experience is necessary. No, I don't have an opinion on gay marriage because I'm not gay. No I don't understand war because I've never been there. Pretty logical to me to avoid forming strong opinions when I don't know what I'm talking about. But not so for everyone. Too bad.