Ketogenic Diet

Options

Replies

• RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Like a slightly modified Atkin's diet...doesn't sound healthy nor sustainable for long term (just my opinion)

article-1032715-0080F28500000258-851_224x423.jpg

Yo, iz you high?
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i gotta admit when i was first told about this i had my reservations as we are always taught that fat is "bad"

Yea, had a hard time wrapping my brain around using butter and whatnot when cooking but the chocolate/peanut butter fat bomb I just ate was *heavenly* =)

Love the fat bombs to me they taste like a peanut butter cup :) and just made some wonderful oopsie bread yummy !!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Like a slightly modified Atkin's diet...doesn't sound healthy nor sustainable for long term (just my opinion)

its obvious you have no idea what a ketogenic diet is.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

How are those DQ's Peanut Blaster Parfait and Houlihan's stuffed chicken on a heaping side of mashed potatoes working out for you? ;)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

How are those DQ's Peanut Blaster Parfait and Houlihan's stuffed chicken on a heaping side of mashed potatoes working out for you? ;)

Works quite well for me as well as my poptarts and icecream that i consume.
  • RiesigJay
    Options

Yeah, you can get away with a lot of stuff when you're chemically enhanced.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    ^Haha This guy bringing back Ali G! Love it!
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    Honestly though, I'm glad I started this thread. I've learned so much about the topic and the great stories that people are sharing of their success has been insperational. Love it
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Yeah, you can get away with a lot of stuff when you're chemically enhanced.

lmao chemically enhanced at 175 lbs?
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    If this guy's chemically enhanced...

lance-armstrong.jpg

Hey, if you aren't chemically enhanced then take it as a compliment.

You aren't from Canada by chance, are ya?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    No I'm not Canadian, nor am I a world reknown athelete. I was eluding to the fact that anyone can consume ice cream and sweets etc. as long as it fits into your macro goals. Nutrition in not that complicated.

Things such as Keto, and other restrictive diets aren't really a necessity to elevate fat loss.

BTW why are you only eating 1,500 cals a day? You have a slow metabolism?
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    OK my bad. I thought you were a well known troll from the Bodybuilding.com forums who is vehemently anti-keto.

The reason for posting Lance is that he did take steroids but doesn't look like the typical user (though he did take catabolic steroids).

I know keto isn't a "magic solution" for fat loss. I prefer it for several side-benefits. I don't wake up feeling all groggy as I normally do when consuming carbs. I feel more energetic (ordinarily I'd feel like a sloth) and a **** load of other reasons you've no doubt heard.

My question to you: have you tried it before you knocked it down? For the longest time I did 40/30/30 before I found keto and liked it more. Try both spectrums of the issue in question before you make a judgement call.

Why 1500 calories? BMR is 1800. Those "activity factor" multipliers are grossly overestimated. I'm largely inactive except for about 20-30 minutes of kettlebell workouts with bodyweight workouts. I don't need more than 1500. "Metabolism rate" is largely bull**** too. It's just an excuse to validify why a person is fat.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    [lmao chemically enhanced at 175 lbs?

I wish someone *would* accuse me of being chemically enhanced. :tongue:
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    OK my bad. I thought you were a well known troll from the Bodybuilding.com forums who is vehemently anti-keto.

The reason for posting Lance is that he did take steroids but doesn't look like the typical user (though he did take catabolic steroids).

I know keto isn't a "magic solution" for fat loss. I prefer it for several side-benefits. I don't wake up feeling all groggy as I normally do when consuming carbs. I feel more energetic (ordinarily I'd feel like a sloth) and a **** load of other reasons you've no doubt heard.

My question to you: have you tried it before you knocked it down? For the longest time I did 40/30/30 before I found keto and liked it more. Try both spectrums of the issue in question before you make a judgement call.

Why 1500 calories? BMR is 1800. Those "activity factor" multipliers are grossly overestimated. I'm largely inactive except for about 20-30 minutes of kettlebell workouts with bodyweight workouts. I don't need more than 1500. "Metabolism rate" is largely bull**** too. It's just an excuse to validify why a person is fat.

I have tried Keto and about every other thing out there. If you look at your diary you severly lack many nutrients, your fiber is at 0 everyday....I'm also going to assume your're lacking in the areas of potassium and other vitamins as well judging by the food choices.

If your BMR is 1800 that means you burn 1,800 calories doing absolutely nothing... you are not supposed to be eating below your BMR... that is how damage occurs to your metabolism if done for a long enough period of time. Eventually, you are going to reach a point where it'll become difficult to lose on 1500 cals. What then? Drop it even further....? You are supposed to be eating below your TDEE. The calculators themselves are not grosely overestimated.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is not putting his supplements on the calculator? I know I dont include mine.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

dude if your BMR is 1800 you should be eating at least that much, probably more.

can you explain why you think BMR is bull****?
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    I have tried Keto and about every other thing out there. If you look at your diary you severly lack many nutrients, your fiber is at 0 everyday....I'm also going to assume your're lacking in the areas of potassium and other vitamins as well judging by the food choices.

If your BMR is 1800 that means you burn 1,800 calories doing absolutely nothing... you are not supposed to be eating below your BMR... that is how damage occurs to your metabolism if done for a long enough period of time. Eventually, you are going to reach a point where it'll become difficult to lose on 1500 cals. What then? Drop it even further....? You are supposed to be eating below your TDEE. The calculators themselves are not grosely overestimated.
    Were you sucessful at keto, did you actually get into the ketosis state? Many people "think" they're in keto, when they're not. Then they give up.

Not supposed to eat below BMR? Seriously? So you're telling me an obese, bed-ridden hospital patient (for example) shouldn't eat below BMR?

See my next comment about activity calculators being overestimated.
    dude if your BMR is 1800 you should be eating at least that much, probably more.

can you explain why you think BMR is bull****?
    Re read my post. I did not say BMR is BS. What I said was the activity multiplier is grossly overestimated. Please see: http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/ a trainer/dietician who has multiple clients with positive results.

Specifically:
    If you’re planning on sticking to just 3 workouts a week, and have a desk job, and you are going to use my simplified counting rules then experience tells me you might want to be careful when doing this and make appropriate adjustments accordingly.

Activity multipliers usually screw people into setting calories way too high. I see it everyday on forums. People often over estimate their category.

Most people over-estimate the calories burned for exercise.
    Scientific study links: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21178922

Before you throw out any more broscience, come back with links from actual medical studies.
    Maybe he is not putting his supplements on the calculator? I know I dont include mine.
    Ding ding ding!

I'm eating about 500 grams of leafy green vegs (spinach, kale) as well as broccoli and brussel sprouts. As proof I'm eating enough vegs, I have firm, green colored poo.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    none of that explains why you eat below your BMR...
  • RiesigJay
    Options

Then you are too dense to be helped.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Then you are too dense to be helped.

lol really? you said you believe the activity calculators over-estimate, however that has nothing to do with your base metabolic rate, and does not answer why you eat below your BMR, which is how much you would burn in a comatose state.