Ketogenic Diet

Options

Replies

• RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You don't taste ketones, and if you just started last night, you certainly aren't ketogenic. Sorry. Like I said, 5-7 days. And it will be hellacious as a beginner.

Took me 3 tries to get it right. I'd always fold and binge-eat some carbs, the cravings were so strong. There is a possibility you will do the same.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    And it will be hellacious as a beginner.

The keto flu is hellacious! It seemed I slept for 3 days straight, which was cool because I couldn't think straight during it.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Outstanding find.

This excerpt is fascinating:

"It was further shown that a ketogenic diet could act as a mood stabilizer in bipolar illness (28). Beneficial changes in the brain energy profile have been observed in subjects who are on a ketogenic diet (28). This is a significant observation because cerebral hypometabolism is a characteristic feature of those who suffer from depression or mania (28)."
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

And there's dozens more where that came from...

It seems all the old paradigms and beliefs about diet and metabolism are being blown to smithereens. :smile:
  • locaoca
    locaoca Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am currently on keto diet and have done it before for 2 years. I stick to a 65-30-5, 1300 calories diet. Once you get used to it you can actually smell the ketones in the urine. The sticks help but it is best to test once a day in the morning before you exercise or eat. It gives you a true reading. And the more purple it goes the more ketones. The sticks are only kind of expensive ($12 for 30 sticks) but it is usually worth the cost. I don't eat bread, potatoes, corn, pasta (well occasionally dreamfields and watch the portions), or sugar. I decide I actually eat better and get fuller with proteins and veggies. My only cheat is is Slim Jims and Peanut butter. My net carbs are under 16 most days.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Stumbled upon? Kid I told you about it haha.
    Was it a coach meeting?

Hee hee!
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    I am currently on keto diet and have done it before for 2 years. I stick to a 65-30-5, 1300 calories diet. Once you get used to it you can actually smell the ketones in the urine. The sticks help but it is best to test once a day in the morning before you exercise or eat. It gives you a true reading. And the more purple it goes the more ketones. The sticks are only kind of expensive ($12 for 30 sticks) but it is usually worth the cost. I don't eat bread, potatoes, corn, pasta (well occasionally dreamfields and watch the portions), or sugar. I decide I actually eat better and get fuller with proteins and veggies. My only cheat is is Slim Jims and Peanut butter. My net carbs are under 16 most days.

The problem with sticks (I'm told), is that as you progress in keto adaptation your body becomes more efficient in utilizing ketones. So if you've become super-efficient in using up your ketones instead of pissing them out, the sticks would show a lack (or a minimal amount) of ketones. This can lead the inexperienced to believe they aren't in ketosis.

This causing some to freak out and make a post saying something like "I'm not in ketosis, what do?" :grumble:
  • locaoca
    locaoca Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I only use the sticks as a guide.

"As a result of the continued conversion of acetoacetate to beta-hydroxybutyrate, the serum and urine volume of acetoacetate (the only ketone detected by ketostix) is significantly reduced. Your takeaway point is this: If you stay on your keto diet for long enough, the primary ketone circulating in your serum (and consequentially, present in your urine) is not detected by your ketostix." http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

But you are actually still in ketosis. You are just releasing ketones that the stick doesn't measure. first time on the diet after 6 mths and 40lbs lost, I stopped showing ketones in urine. But I was still losing weight albeit more slowly but I was close to goal and didn't worry about it much because I could still smell them.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You may friend me if you'd like. :) I strive to go ketogenic, and I usually hit that mark. Feel free to look in my diary. I'll bet albertabeefy will show up and give you loads of information, you should friend him too. :)

I noticed you eat bread...I didn't think grains were allowed?

Like others have stated (sorry, I just saw your response :) ) it is okay if it's within your carb allowance. While I do deliberately try to cut down on bread, I'm still a bad girl sometimes and nab a slice - especially if I'm at a friend's house. I do buy a specific type of Ezekiel bread made by a local baker and I'll eat one slice a day with breakfast. It's my exception, because having one small slice that is high in protein and general quality is an acceptable tradeoff and satisfies any craving I might have.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated (sorry, I just saw your response :) ) it is okay if it's within your carb allowance. While I do deliberately try to cut down on bread, I'm still a bad girl sometimes and nab a slice - especially if I'm at a friend's house. I do buy a specific type of Ezekiel bread made by a local baker and I'll eat one slice a day with breakfast. It's my exception, because having one small slice that is high in protein and general quality is an acceptable tradeoff and satisfies any craving I might have.
    I even eat bread, and I'm probably one of the most glucose-intolerant people on the forum. For me I eat sprouted-grain (like gryfonclaw's Ezekial) bread (though only occasionally) , but I have to limit myself to 1/2 piece at a time.

I usually have that half-piece toasted, with butter, peanut-butter and some no-sugar-added jam. If I'm eating toast I'm usually having it as part of a pre-workout breakfast.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I even eat bread, and I'm probably one of the most glucose-intolerant people on the forum. For me I eat sprouted-grain (like gryfonclaw's Ezekial) bread (though only occasionally) , but I have to limit myself to 1/2 piece at a time.

I usually have that half-piece toasted, with butter, peanut-butter and some no-sugar-added jam. If I'm eating toast I'm usually having it as part of a pre-workout breakfast.

For anyone who's interested, here's a direct link to the ingredients in the bread I buy. http://www.fatladybaker.com/ezekiel_bread.htm It's very dense and small for a loaf.

I also toast mine and put butter on it. Sometimes I'll make a tamagoyaki (Japanese one-egg omelet without the sugar) and lay it on top of the slice and eat it that way.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

Outstanding find.

"It was further shown that a ketogenic diet could act as a mood stabilizer in bipolar illness (28). Beneficial changes in the brain energy profile have been observed in subjects who are on a ketogenic diet (28). This is a significant observation because cerebral hypometabolism is a characteristic feature of those who suffer from depression or mania (28)."

I'm going to come clean, fwiw, or if anyone cares. :tongue: This applies to me. I've spoken with my doc about getting me off, or at least tapering down my meds. Yeah, I'm bipolar 2 hypomanic/depressive. I'm on Wellbutrin, Lamictal and Valium. I've done keto before but I never kept a journal to see how my moods were. Besides, I was medicated then too. I'm also insulin resistant and I have a horrible time gastro-intestinally with wheat. I've been off wheat for two weeks, and nary a fart, mad dash to the bathroom, mud butt or bloating (tmi? :bigsmile: ). So I'm considering adjusting my macros to keto again. That said, those of you who do keto, do you log your post-workout shake, if you have one? And do you do a weekly carb refeed? That's the part I hated and made me feel like crap because I'd overdose on carbs.
  • RiesigJay
    Options
    Jainarayan,

I personally don't account for calories burned during weight lifting. Thus I wouldn't account my post work out calories (I figure my workout calories negate the PWO shake calories). If you log one, you gotta log the other. Individual preference.

As for weekly carb-ups, try looking into a TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet). A few grams of carbs (50-75) pre- and post-workout and no weekly carb-ups.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options

Outstanding find.

I'm going to come clean, fwiw, or if anyone cares. :tongue: This applies to me. I've spoken with my doc about getting me off, or at least tapering down my meds. Yeah, I'm bipolar 2 hypomanic/depressive. I'm on Wellbutrin, Lamictal and Valium. I've done keto before but I never kept a journal to see how my moods were. Besides, I was medicated then too. I'm also insulin resistant and I have a horrible time gastro-intestinally with wheat. I've been off wheat for two weeks, and nary a fart, mad dash to the bathroom, mud butt or bloating (tmi? :bigsmile: ). So I'm considering adjusting my macros to keto again. That said, those of you who do keto, do you log your post-workout shake, if you have one? And do you do a weekly carb refeed? That's the part I hated and made me feel like crap because I'd overdose on carbs.
    TMI? I don't think so this site was made for sharing and opening up. I just want to hit the post workout shake, if its high in carbs like some are i don't think you can. However some protien shakes like dymatise 100 have only 1 carb, and it tasts AMAIZING!!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Outstanding find.

I'm also bipolar 2 and insulin resistant. (Also got PCOS, but I strongly doubt you've got that as well! :wink: ) I've found that the keto diet has greatly improved my moods and mood swings, although it's not perfect. I also take medication, but it's been harder and harder to afford.

I can relate to the, uh, digestive problems that wheat brings me. LOL
  • OkieTink
    Options
    I don't eat back calories from exercising. I rarely do protein shakes, after my workout I eat, I don't drink my calories. When I do drink a protein shake I use Isopure, zero carbs.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options
    I don't eat back calories from exercising. I rarely do protein shakes, after my workout I eat, I don't drink my calories. When I do drink a protein shake I use Isopure, zero carbs.

I don't eat back calories either. I thought someone said because they may not be accurate, especially if you're cutting it close. I think that's a good idea to eat instead of using a pwo shake. Maybe the pwo shake comes from the ckd (cyclic ketogenic diet) method, which is the one that does a weekly carb re-feed.
  • OkieTink
    Options
    I don't carb re-feed. Just more stuff to keep track of. I try to keep this simple, food prep on Sunday. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch M-F, dinner varies. Breakfast is the same on the weekends, lunch and dinner varies. Less complications lessens the chance I'll screw it up :) I hope!
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    I don't carb re-feed. Just more stuff to keep track of. I try to keep this simple, food prep on Sunday. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch M-F, dinner varies. Breakfast is the same on the weekends, lunch and dinner varies. Less complications lessens the chance I'll screw it up :) I hope!
    I have been doing that too. What is a typical dinner for you?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I don't eat back calories either. I thought someone said because they may not be accurate, especially if you're cutting it close. I think that's a good idea to eat instead of using a pwo shake. Maybe the pwo shake comes from the ckd (cyclic ketogenic diet) method, which is the one that does a weekly carb re-feed.

A PWO doesn't need to be included/excluded from any of the methods really. I've taken PWO shakes when I was doing SKD and never had problems.

A TKD is a specific carb intake food/meal right around workout time. CKD is where you do a carb refeed over X amount of hours per week.

Personally my workouts never suffered on SKD, and that's the reason most people go for either a TKD or CKD (not having good energy levels while working out, from glycogen depletion). I spent most of my keto time in SKD, but (only relatively recently) read about the hormonal benefits of actually adding carbs back in a limited basis.