Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill because I am legally blind, and can't go running outside by myself. I have no other option. I would much rather go outside in the fresh air, but it is a safety factor for me.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You're full of it. Either your kids are scared to death to disappoint daddy, or you just happened to be blessed with the world's most compliant kids. I''m sure you're getting a real good run at the speed and distance of a 3 year old. *rolls eyes* FWIW I workout with my 13 year old, and it's never as intense when you have to stop to correct form ... etc. If someone prefers to workout without kids, it's really none of your business.

If you don't want to involve your kids, fine. Just don't make excuses, or challenge the veracity of my statements because you can't keep up.

ps I see reading isn't one of your strong suits. You quoted me saying I work out with my 13 year old. Maybe you shouldn't multitask there bub. Your 3 year old might get lost along those long stretches of highway over which you and the Brady Bunch run.

OK now I'm really laughing. Have a good night Alice.

Trolls. lol
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Add Squats and Deadlifts.
    Lunges also work, along with climbing stairs/ box jumps, and other such exercises.

Definitely this!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I kind of ran out of steam reading this thread on page 3. So sorry if this has already been addressed.

The author of that xojane article lives in New York City. You can tell from her Twitter account.

Climate has nothing to do with New York City being an unpleasant place to run outside. In Manhattan, there are three places that somewhat approach pleasant runs: the West Side Hwy/Hudson Park path, Central Park, and certain parts of the East River pier. For most people, getting to those parks requires either taking the subway or covering 15 blocks through traffic and hitting a red light every time. If you want to deal with that on your run, more power to you. You win the "tough outside runner" awards. Me, I'll walk a block to my gym and hop on the treadmill. Just like the xojane gal.

I also want to comment on the evidence that has been marshaled so far in support of the claim that treadmills make butts flat. We have a snapshot of a Yahoo questions page (seriously?), a snapshot couple of comments from who knows where, and a trainer's opinion. Do these sound like credible sources to anyone?

Until I see an, ahem, controlled study that shows the amount of fat and muscle mass to be different on outside and treadmill runners, I am not prepared to accept this on faith.

YOU! STOP WITH THAT LOGIC AND START TALKING ABOUT DRAGGING YOUR CHILDREN FOR A RUN IN ANTARCTICA!

:):):)
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

ffs. that's all.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You're full of it. Either your kids are scared to death to disappoint daddy, or you just happened to be blessed with the world's most compliant kids. I''m sure you're getting a real good run at the speed and distance of a 3 year old. *rolls eyes* FWIW I workout with my 13 year old, and it's never as intense when you have to stop to correct form ... etc. If someone prefers to workout without kids, it's really none of your business.

If you don't want to involve your kids, fine. Just don't make excuses, or challenge the veracity of my statements because you can't keep up.

kids love what they learn. if they are regularly seeing mom and dad eat veggies, they are much more likely to do so too.
    when mom and dad are always excited to workout, emphasizing how much fun it can be, the kids want to do the same,
    in their own way.

sometimes i prefer to workout alone. sometimes i want to workout with one or all of my kids. sometimes we go on hikes or walks suck as my friend above describes, all of us enjoying being outside, and pushing ourselves.

This summer we're taking our kids to the show- me- state games, it's an amateur track and field competition.
    this will be our 4th year going to this so the kids can compete. Last year we all competed in events, and this year
    we'll do the same. it's all in fun. we aren't on any track teams or anything, we just exercise and home,
    then when july comes, we do our best. they give out medals, but it's a great experience even when a medal isn't won,
    and we don't make them feel they have to win. we just want them to try their best. we all look forward to it, and
    it gives us a specific deadline and specific events to train for.

This morning i started a routine with my 12 yr old son. of doing a lifting workout with me.
    we worked on the basics for him, but he already knows many of the strength training moves,
    and we have a home gym, the kids sometimes use, or light dumb bells.
    while he was practicing his form, learning compound exercises,often using just the bar,
    I did my medium lifting routine, just as i would have done if I was alone.
    if anything, sometimes he can make the process faster by changing a song
    or helping me load the bar, or adding/subtracting weights needed, bc he's so
    much faster at math in his head than I am.

by teaching them early to make fitness and eating healthy a priority and just part of their natural habits,
    they will be happier and healthier now, and into adulthood. I wish i had started exercising daily
    as a child, and many mfp's would agree with me.

and i'm not blessed with the most compliant kids, my son has autistic tendencies, it sometimes makes
    it' really difficult to home school him.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

I hate the "dreadmill" but there was a time in my life when running outside in my neighborhood was simply asking for trouble, especially after dark (when it was the only time that I could run). I have long since moved away from the crime-ridden neighborhood and now run outside 100% of the time, but I have nothing but empathy for people who have to run on a treadmill due to safety issues.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I run (well, in spurts) on the treadmill at 2.5-3% incline as well as outside. I don't have a car so if I had to take a bus or train for 20 minutes to run somewhere safe (I don't, my neighbourhood has decent paths) yeah no, that wouldn't be happening on the regular :noway:

Running outside kicks my *kitten* more than the treadmill and while I enjoy it, I'm a ***** and when the elements aren't satisfactory, you will find me on the dreadmill, where there's no blowing wind giving me a splitting earache (I STILL haven't found a solution to this, headbands don't help and it hurts like hell)

I'm not crazy about running on wet/icy/snowy surfaces, even with ice cleats, because running on wet terrain is how I broke my leg years ago and it's the kind of life experience that sticks with you.

And there's my take which no one wanted :tongue:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I kind of ran out of steam reading this thread on page 3. So sorry if this has already been addressed.

The author of that xojane article lives in New York City. You can tell from her Twitter account.

Climate has nothing to do with New York City being an unpleasant place to run outside. In Manhattan, there are three places that somewhat approach pleasant runs: the West Side Hwy/Hudson Park path, Central Park, and certain parts of the East River pier. For most people, getting to those parks requires either taking the subway or covering 15 blocks through traffic and hitting a red light every time. If you want to deal with that on your run, more power to you. You win the "tough outside runner" awards. Me, I'll walk a block to my gym and hop on the treadmill. Just like the xojane gal.

I also want to comment on the evidence that has been marshaled so far in support of the claim that treadmills make butts flat. We have a snapshot of a Yahoo questions page (seriously?), a snapshot couple of comments from who knows where, and a trainer's opinion. Do these sound like credible sources to anyone?

Until I see an, ahem, controlled study that shows the amount of fat and muscle mass to be different on outside and treadmill runners, I am not prepared to accept this on faith.

this. oh, and my first thought upon reading the blog...sometimes age will no longer defy gravity. just sayin'?
    respectfully:blushing:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Your wife (or baby mama) must love your attitude. For your info Einstein, I don't even use a treadmill. I just didnt like the HTT attitude you had with that young mother. See chivalry isn't dead. Women just have brushed by and taken up the torch for you. So while you're out there running with a toddler and insulting women along the way, think about exercising your mouth a little less. ;-)

Running with a 3 year old. rofl

track events start at 3 or 4 years old. they can run the 50,100,200,400 meter races or do most of the field events.
    there is nothing wrong with taking the energy that most young kids have and challenging it,
    teaching them to use it, while having fun.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Dear cracked.com: I've found your 7th topic that's guaranteed to start a flame war.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-innocent-sounding-topics-that-are-guaranteed-flame-wars/
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Are you nuts? I live in a climate which is a frozen, icy hellhole 6-8 months of the year, and I don't really want to break a leg on icy streets or give myself severe frostbite in -50 windchill. What's more, I live in a highrise in the heart of downtown, and it's nearly impossible to run a full block without having to stop for traffic etc. Finally, sometimes I have to exercise after dark, and it's not safe for me to do so alone at night outdoors. For all these reasons, I choose the treadmill.

Do stair runs in your highrise. 20 minutes of interval running on stairs will do more for you than a crappy treadmill any day of the week!

I fail to see how stairs would be less "self-loathing" than the treadmill. At least I can read a book and enjoy myself on the treadmill rather than looking at concrete stairs and concrete walls and worrying about running into some random creep in a dimly lit, almost deserted, soundproof stairwell.

Nice try, but I enjoy my varied-incline runs on a treadmill, reading a good book and listening to music in my nice, sunny gym.

What kind of high rise do you live in if creeps are always lurking in your stairwells????? Or are you just that paranoid?
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run (well, in spurts) on the treadmill at 2.5-3% incline as well as outside. I don't have a car so if I had to take a bus or train for 20 minutes to run somewhere safe (I don't, my neighbourhood has decent paths) yeah no, that wouldn't be happening on the regular :noway:

Running outside kicks my *kitten* more than the treadmill and while I enjoy it, I'm a ***** and when the elements aren't satisfactory, you will find me on the dreadmill, where there's no blowing wind giving me a splitting earache (I STILL haven't found a solution to this, headbands don't help and it hurts like hell)

I'm not crazy about running on wet/icy/snowy surfaces, even with ice cleats, because running on wet terrain is how I broke my leg years ago and it's the kind of life experience that sticks with you.

If you ever find a solution to the ear aches, let me know! It's my biggest issue when running outside, even in mild weather. I hate it! The only solution I've come up with is move to a less windy place, but I can't do that yet due to that whole college thing lol. I also agree with the issue of running on ice and snow. I live in a pretty rural area and the roads I use are not heavily traveled. Most of the traffic is tractors around here lol. They barely get plowed when we get snow and they just aren't safe. I've fallen numerous times just walking to class, so trying to run on that stuff is just asking for an injury, and your story makes me even more inclined to avoid it. I feel like if the options are severely injure myself or go get what some people apparently think is a less useful workout, I think I'll cut my losses and go to the gym. I'd rather work my muscles less one day than break something and not use them for weeks!
  • bumblebums
    Options

If you ever find a solution to the ear aches, let me know! It's my biggest issue when running outside, even in mild weather. I hate it! The only solution I've come up with is move to a less windy place, but I can't do that yet due to that whole college thing lol. I also agree with the issue of running on ice and snow. I live in a pretty rural area and the roads I use are not heavily traveled. Most of the traffic is tractors around here lol. They barely get plowed when we get snow and they just aren't safe. I've fallen numerous times just walking to class, so trying to run on that stuff is just asking for an injury, and your story makes me even more inclined to avoid it. I feel like if the options are severely injure myself or go get what some people apparently think is a less useful workout, I think I'll cut my losses and go to the gym. I'd rather work my muscles less one day than break something and not use them for weeks!

Back when I did non-treadmill running, I would wear a dorky fleece headband I got at a sports store--it just covers the ears so your head still has a chance to cool off, but it really helps with the cold ears thing.

I've fallen on my *kitten* on ice in a poorly plowed town. No solutions to that one, except to suggest Nordic skiing or snowshoeing instead. Those are endurance sports that are meant to be done in the winter on snow.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Me? Yea, I'm a parent. Or did you not bother reading my post? Part of being a parent is pushing your kids. I realize the vast majority of western civilization has forgotten this, but it's good to remember once in a while. And yes, my 3 year old can run 2 miles now. The first mile is easy and I pretty much tickle her so she keeps running for the second mile. Then she goes in my kiddo backpack and my wife and I hike for several miles. When my knee is feeling okay, I take my 7 year old running with me. She mostly does intervals these days, but she runs. She's done 5 km with me a few times. Back when she was younger, and I was doing longer distances, she'd do 15 km on her scooter.

OMG, I remember you! Can't recall your old account name, but damn all this about being military with your toddler is spot on.

OT: I don't run, either outside or on a treadmill, but I have no problem with people who do. I'm just not a runner.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I would only run if there was a reason to. Like a clown waving a bloody knife behind me.

^^So. Much. This.^^ :laugh:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Yes, a treadmill can lift and tone your butt

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/384975-can-i-tone-and-lift-my-butt-using-a-treadmill/#ixzz2RQkd4R6u
    there for e atread mill would make your *kitten* look even better toned and lifted
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh so thats what happened to me *kitten*!!!! :noway:

I know right? I thought my ex ate it.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

You, sir, do not live in Canada. It is not always possible to run outside.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill, because I live in a ****ty neighbor hood, I have 2 kids and no stroller and NO ONE to watch my kids. My *kitten* is STILL round and rather large but I also do squats, lunges and yoga. :flowerforyou:

And I don't run on it to "punish" myself I would LOVE to be able to go for a run outside, that just isnt an option where I am at.
    (Literally a 18 year old boy got shot on my street and you think im going to run it? No)