Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't run, and will never understand how people can enjoy it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Me? Yea, I'm a parent. Or did you not bother reading my post? Part of being a parent is pushing your kids. I realize the vast majority of western civilization has forgotten this, but it's good to remember once in a while. And yes, my 3 year old can run 2 miles now. The first mile is easy and I pretty much tickle her so she keeps running for the second mile. Then she goes in my kiddo backpack and my wife and I hike for several miles. When my knee is feeling okay, I take my 7 year old running with me. She mostly does intervals these days, but she runs. She's done 5 km with me a few times. Back when she was younger, and I was doing longer distances, she'd do 15 km on her scooter.

OMG, I remember you! Can't recall your old account name, but damn all this about being military with your toddler is spot on.

OT: I don't run, either outside or on a treadmill, but I have no problem with people who do. I'm just not a runner.

It's not military at all. I think someone missed the comment about me tickling her to keep her running. It's a game! Honestly, kids are made for activity, not being sedentary. It's when you expect then to sit still all day that you have problems.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run (well, in spurts) on the treadmill at 2.5-3% incline as well as outside. I don't have a car so if I had to take a bus or train for 20 minutes to run somewhere safe (I don't, my neighbourhood has decent paths) yeah no, that wouldn't be happening on the regular :noway:

Running outside kicks my *kitten* more than the treadmill and while I enjoy it, I'm a ***** and when the elements aren't satisfactory, you will find me on the dreadmill, where there's no blowing wind giving me a splitting earache (I STILL haven't found a solution to this, headbands don't help and it hurts like hell)

I'm not crazy about running on wet/icy/snowy surfaces, even with ice cleats, because running on wet terrain is how I broke my leg years ago and it's the kind of life experience that sticks with you.

And there's my take which no one wanted :tongue:

If you ever find a solution to the ear aches, let me know! It's my biggest issue when running outside, even in mild weather. I hate it! The only solution I've come up with is move to a less windy place, but I can't do that yet due to that whole college thing lol. I also agree with the issue of running on ice and snow. I live in a pretty rural area and the roads I use are not heavily traveled. Most of the traffic is tractors around here lol. They barely get plowed when we get snow and they just aren't safe. I've fallen numerous times just walking to class, so trying to run on that stuff is just asking for an injury, and your story makes me even more inclined to avoid it. I feel like if the options are severely injure myself or go get what some people apparently think is a less useful workout, I think I'll cut my losses and go to the gym. I'd rather work my muscles less one day than break something and not use them for weeks!

Back when I did non-treadmill running, I would wear a dorky fleece headband I got at a sports store--it just covers the ears so your head still has a chance to cool off, but it really helps with the cold ears thing.

I've fallen on my *kitten* on ice in a poorly plowed town. No solutions to that one, except to suggest Nordic skiing or snowshoeing instead. Those are endurance sports that are meant to be done in the winter on snow.

I have a headband, but I always forget it or think I don't need it and then totally do. Mine is also fleece and dorky lol. I prefer to not use it even when I do remember because I'm weird about my hearing being impaired even slightly, but usually regret my weirdness when my ears start freezing off. I should probably just wear the damn thing lol. The big issue is in spring when it's too hot for a headband but super windy as per usual. I swear the wind never stops here. I'm almost willing to deal with the humidity that's on its way if it means no more cold winds!

I had a friend who snowshoed, but I never got the chance to go with him. It seems really fun though. We have some good mountains and stuff for it from what he's told me. Skiing on the other hand, no thanks. I'm terrified of skis after a particularly awful day about two years ago. Snowshoes are more my speed lol.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Also for everyone saying they can't run in there neighborhood because it's dangerous who's to say the treadmill is safer?

I don't know about how nice some of your guys' neighborhoods are but theres people selling drugs in mine and lots of registered sex offenders and gang grafitti.

We must live in the same place :P. I'm a treadmiller for that reason. If I'm visiting family out the city I'd go for a run outside. Otherwise I prefer being alive, and the idea of keeping my kidneys off the black market.
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise is good. I have a personal trainer, she does all different workouts on a treadmill. Incline by 2's is great 3 minutes a piece right up to the top then back down. Before and after this i run for 15 minutes. Spend 1 hour a day on it as running outside is harder on the knees. I find the treadmill much more of a workout and burn than the eleptical.

Everyone has their own preferences, and at the end of the day what is important is that you do what works for you, so that you are more likely to actually do it. (Not speaking about you, specifically, but the wider you.) Research shows that the elliptical and treadmill or more or less equivalent in terms of calories burned. It's an issue of personal preference and the condition of your joints.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20453685

For those who are placing big judgments on people for not running with their kids, please knock it off. In real life, kids don't always want to go running with mom and if they do they can't keep up, or they pick a fight with their sibling, or they otherwise make life impossible for a parent who is just trying to maintain a regular daily exercise routine. It's great when it works out but it's not something you can count on doing every day at any significant intensity. Real children don't just do difficult things happily because you say "do this." If you for some reason have some magical perfectly behaved super star robot athlete child who aspires to nothing more than impressing dad with his/her ability to exercise, fantastic for you. I look forward to cheering your kid on at the 2020 Olympics.

If you don't live in someone else's shoes, don't judge. If people are out there exercising in a way that works for them, this is a good thing.

Thank you. So agree.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This thread cracks me up. Sorry fair weather folks, it still sucks here in Wisconsin. We are talking about snow last week.

What I hate most about running outside is carrying my water and phone. So basically extra weight, although it cancels out. Also, stopping and waiting for traffic ruins your rhythm.

Most people also like to lift right after, so unless you are running from your gym, don't see an easy way to run with your protein, car keys, etc.

These days when its nice, ill check into the gym throw everything into a locker and go outside. I notice though I run slower outside then inside. Treadmill is easy to pace yourself, the machine is doing it for you. Also heartbeat measurements are nice, since I am doing LISS to fat burn.
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I kind of ran out of steam reading this thread on page 3. So sorry if this has already been addressed.

The author of that xojane article lives in New York City. You can tell from her Twitter account.

Climate has nothing to do with New York City being an unpleasant place to run outside. In Manhattan, there are three places that somewhat approach pleasant runs: the West Side Hwy/Hudson Park path, Central Park, and certain parts of the East River pier. For most people, getting to those parks requires either taking the subway or covering 15 blocks through traffic and hitting a red light every time. If you want to deal with that on your run, more power to you. You win the "tough outside runner" awards. Me, I'll walk a block to my gym and hop on the treadmill. Just like the xojane gal.

I also want to comment on the evidence that has been marshaled so far in support of the claim that treadmills make butts flat. We have a snapshot of a Yahoo questions page (seriously?), a snapshot couple of comments from who knows where, and a trainer's opinion. Do these sound like credible sources to anyone?

Until I see an, ahem, controlled study that shows the amount of fat and muscle mass to be different on outside and treadmill runners, I am not prepared to accept this on faith.

So agree on the sources.

Also, bloggers are out there to blabber. Two weeks on treadmill to count as case close. What if she is losing weight in other areas that she isn't mentioning as well.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

Running on concrete and other hard surfaces is extremely damaging to joints over time.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    So. Much. Crazy. Ohmy.
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I run on the treadmill. And it's not to punish myself. I do it because I'm in school and I'm very busy and I have my TV programs (I call it junk TV) that I like to watch. However, I don't like to watch TV and just lay on the couch. So I reward myself by watching my junk TV...but only if I'm on my treadmill. I wouldn't be able to watch my programs if I was running outside!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

You, sir, do not live in Canada. It is not always possible to run outside.

Don't use Canada as an excuse - I ran out side all winter.

If you prefer a treadmill - fine. I would quit running if a treadmill was my only option.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    SQUAT!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Popcorn-04-Buffy.gif

I'm so just waiting for this thread to get locked.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak from a lot of experience here as I have been blessed with a fantastic *kitten*. But then, since figuring that out, I tend t do a lt of exercise that targets the glutes.

I'm not a huge fan of treadmills, I much prefer the track or running outdoors. But I do all kinds of different workouts. I run, do the elliptical, go swimming, take step classes, Zumba, etc. I'm not a fan of being bored.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Your all wrong get real and strap a treadmill to your back and go Alaskan ice running or don't even bother running at all.
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't run, and will never understand how people can enjoy it.

I don't enjoy it. I hate every soul crushing minute of it.*

I enjoy how I feel afterward though.

*starting to get to various points in running where I'm thinking "Hey, this is pretty cool!" though so.

so yeah, my motivation is that it keeps flooding my brain with endorphins and gets me highed up in a perfectly legal way, and then seeing myself get closer and closer to my cardio goals activates the pleasure centers in my brain too
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I run (well, in spurts) on the treadmill at 2.5-3% incline as well as outside. I don't have a car so if I had to take a bus or train for 20 minutes to run somewhere safe (I don't, my neighbourhood has decent paths) yeah no, that wouldn't be happening on the regular :noway:

Running outside kicks my *kitten* more than the treadmill and while I enjoy it, I'm a ***** and when the elements aren't satisfactory, you will find me on the dreadmill, where there's no blowing wind giving me a splitting earache (I STILL haven't found a solution to this, headbands don't help and it hurts like hell)

I'm not crazy about running on wet/icy/snowy surfaces, even with ice cleats, because running on wet terrain is how I broke my leg years ago and it's the kind of life experience that sticks with you.

And there's my take which no one wanted :tongue:

If you ever find a solution to the ear aches, let me know! It's my biggest issue when running outside, even in mild weather. I hate it! The only solution I've come up with is move to a less windy place, but I can't do that yet due to that whole college thing lol. I also agree with the issue of running on ice and snow. I live in a pretty rural area and the roads I use are not heavily traveled. Most of the traffic is tractors around here lol. They barely get plowed when we get snow and they just aren't safe. I've fallen numerous times just walking to class, so trying to run on that stuff is just asking for an injury, and your story makes me even more inclined to avoid it. I feel like if the options are severely injure myself or go get what some people apparently think is a less useful workout, I think I'll cut my losses and go to the gym. I'd rather work my muscles less one day than break something and not use them for weeks!

Yeah it really sucks, hey? I'll have my noise-cancelling headphones in, fleece headband on and the wind will still get to them. There must be some sort of wind-resistant head gear to solve this problem. And try MONTHS as far as a break was concerned. I was in an over-the-knee plaster cast for 3 weeks (which was so heavy to lug around), and then changed to a regular leg cast for another 4 weeks. Granted, I was also 12 years old, but I probably healed a lot faster then than if it were to happen now. So it's just not worth the risk to me, no biggie.
    Back when I did non-treadmill running, I would wear a dorky fleece headband I got at a sports store--it just covers the ears so your head still has a chance to cool off, but it really helps with the cold ears thing.

I've fallen on my *kitten* on ice in a poorly plowed town. No solutions to that one, except to suggest Nordic skiing or snowshoeing instead. Those are endurance sports that are meant to be done in the winter on snow.

I can take cold ears, but if it's at all windy, even if the wind isn't cold, I get this intense headache in my ear area. I haven't tried a special running headband, maybe that would be an improvement over a regular fleecy headband?

And yeah, I stick to the snowshoeing and snowboarding for my outdoor winter sports. I'd rather book it into soft powder snow with a helmet on my head, than on an icy sidewalk.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

Running on concrete and other hard surfaces is extremely damaging to joints over time.

So go to a park or other non-concrete based terrain in your vicinity.....

All I hear about treadmills is excuses. If people want to make excuses and get all butt-hurt about their precious treadmills, fine.

Real running outside engages more of the kinetic chain due to variable surface textures, turns, uneven surfaces, etc.

It also provides a mental toughness to run in driving rain, howling wind, snow, high summer heat that a treadmill in a climate controlled building cannot provide.

Unless you have a treadmill in your building, then you have to go somewhere to use it. This exposes you to the outside world and also provides the chance that someone will murder/mug/rape/run you over/sell you crack/etc.... at some point you have to deal with the world outside. Don't cower in fear behind your sofa!

See the whole thing with me and some of the posts in this thread is this: It's not about how fat someones *kitten* is. That's bf% and sensible diet and exercise will deal with that in short order. It's about mental attitude. You're afraid you'll fall over and break something. There's a serial killer lurking around the next corner. There's a whole gang of snakeheads ready to sell your organs. You might get cold and wet. Someone will have to mind your child for 20-30 minutes. Or, you might have to take little Jonny or Alice with you (Jesus, they may even get some fresh air!). And so on and so on, ad infinitum...... if you want to make your fears make you choose an inferior exercise, that's your lookout. But understand that fear drives you and perhaps you can get out from under it and that's my point.

Now, I've gotta get back to curling in the squat rack.......
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree.

So go to a park or other non-concrete based terrain in your vicinity.....

All I hear about treadmills is excuses. If people want to make excuses and get all butt-hurt about their precious treadmills, fine.

Real running outside engages more of the kinetic chain due to variable surface textures, turns, uneven surfaces, etc.

It also provides a mental toughness to run in driving rain, howling wind, snow, high summer heat that a treadmill in a climate controlled building cannot provide.

Unless you have a treadmill in your building, then you have to go somewhere to use it. This exposes you to the outside world and also provides the chance that someone will murder/mug/rape/run you over/sell you crack/etc.... at some point you have to deal with the world outside. Don't cower in fear behind your sofa!

See the whole thing with me and some of the posts in this thread is this: It's not about how fat someones *kitten* is. That's bf% and sensible diet and exercise will deal with that in short order. It's about mental attitude. You're afraid you'll fall over and break something. There's a serial killer lurking around the next corner. There's a whole gang of snakeheads ready to sell your organs. You might get cold and wet. Someone will have to mind your child for 20-30 minutes. Or, you might have to take little Jonny or Alice with you (Jesus, they may even get some fresh air!). And so on and so on, ad infinitum...... if you want to make your fears make you choose an inferior exercise, that's your lookout. But understand that fear drives you and perhaps you can get out from under it and that's my point.

Now, I've gotta get back to curling in the squat rack.......

LOVE THIS! WELL SAID!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Some of the outdoor runners make it sound like running on a treadmill is a character flaw. It's a choice and, for some people, it's the only viable choice. The choice to run on a treadmill doesn't mean someone is weak, afraid or self-loathing. Just like the choice to run outdoors doesn't mean you're tough, brave or self-confident.