When people ask for advice, stop being rude and degrading!

Options

Replies

• turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

That's the thing about the internet - it's pretty representative of real life. You won't like everyone and you won't like what everyone has to say, but we're all entitled to our own personalities and means of expression.
    No, the internet is nothing like real life. It does give someone a chance to talk crap and be degrading towards others out of cruelness without being face to face confronted or with little to no repercussions of their actions.
    This! Be encouraging, not a jerk.
  • tubbytwilek
    tubbytwilek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can't say I agree that non-fit people get offended when told they are doing something wrong...I for one love getting tips and advise to better lose weight and whatnot...however it depends on the approach

approach 1 --- "Hey fatass you are doing that wrong"
    vs
    approach 2 --- "Hey would you like me to show you how to do that better"

so it's not that us unfit people get "butthurt", we are just expecting people to be decent human beings and realize we are trying to do what's best for ourselves
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit. I befriend people who are fit and who listen to fit people. They've got to be doing something right and hopefully I can soak up some of that knowledge and if it is delivered frankly without qualifiers to cushion the blow, even better.

It's non-fit people who get butthurt when fit people say, 'hey there, you're doing that wrong, do this instead' that are the issue. It's like some people don't want to help themselves or let others help them.
    One of the first comments is from a guy saying, "Well if you're struggling to eat that many now, then how did you get to big to begin with?? Only saying what people are thinking"

This is not constructive criticism. Whoever this guy was wasn't trying to be helpful. He was being a being a douche.

I fail to see how this was douche-y. Honestly, I don't.

It really is mind-boggling to see someone say they can't manage to eat 1200 cals but yet they are significantly overweight. Maybe that comment set off a light bulb for someone.

As I stated previously, significantly overweight people at a higher quantity of unhealthy food. Personally, I've found that in my 10 weeks on here, eating foods that are healthy for you and actually fill you up consist of less calories... which for me makes it a bit harder to reach my calorie goal.

Foods aren't healthy or unhealthy without context and dosage taken into consideration, with the exception of possibly synthetic trans fats.

And it's pretty rude for people not to follow standard forum procedure of first searching to see if a question has been asked before prior to creating another thread on it. I wonder if anyone has ever asked if they can't get all their cals in what they should eat :/
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    "Well if you're struggling to eat that many now, then how did you get to big to begin with?"

That is a valid observation, it's not hostile, and it doesn't merit you telling that other user, who is also a person with feelings, to "shut the **** up".

Yup. Uncalled for, and a good way to discredit herself with her own words.
  • mzfitntrim
    mzfitntrim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved your post! It was totally on point!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit. I befriend people who are fit and who listen to fit people. They've got to be doing something right and hopefully I can soak up some of that knowledge and if it is delivered frankly without qualifiers to cushion the blow, even better.

It's non-fit people who get butthurt when fit people say, 'hey there, you're doing that wrong, do this instead' that are the issue. It's like some people don't want to help themselves or let others help them.
    One of the first comments is from a guy saying, "Well if you're struggling to eat that many now, then how did you get to big to begin with?? Only saying what people are thinking"

This is not constructive criticism. Whoever this guy was wasn't trying to be helpful. He was being a being a douche.

I fail to see how this was douche-y. Honestly, I don't.

It really is mind-boggling to see someone say they can't manage to eat 1200 cals but yet they are significantly overweight. Maybe that comment set off a light bulb for someone.

^^^ I agree!!
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options

That's the thing about the internet - it's pretty representative of real life. You won't like everyone and you won't like what everyone has to say, but we're all entitled to our own personalities and means of expression.
    No, the internet is nothing like real life. It does give someone a chance to talk crap and be degrading towards others out of cruelness without being face to face confronted or with little to no repercussions of their actions.

You've never met my sister- I love her, but she's mean, even in real life... :sad:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've only had one person say something directed towards me. But I've been noticing it a lot more lately in the threads that I am reading.
    Ever hear of Sarcasm? Your personal interpretation of what you read is effected by your current emotional state AND your expectations. Grow some skin, maybe? After all, you truly have no clue what the poster(s) are meaning at the time they posted.

SHUT THE *kitten* UP.
    In my opinion, you should heed your own advice. Negativity breeds negativity. You reap what you sow....and so forth
    The point is, they're here and they're trying to change their former habits. ENCOURAGE them and BE SUPPORTIVE. No one needs or wants your negativity. If you lack that decency, then find somewhere ELSE to be with other vain people like yourself. This is a place of support.
    Vanity is defined by those who place it in others.
    Well, that's my rant for today.
    (Edited for a spelling error)
    Rants give no support for improving health and fitness.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    i dont get why more people just dont google things....read up on things then try out different things

instead of asking strangers what works all the time

Who wants to do all that work? They're already starving and doing 2 hours of cardio a day! Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    ENCOURAGE them and BE SUPPORTIVE.

But....why should I encourage and support something that isn't healthy, and that will probably end up harming them in the long run? I won't do that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Are most posters here women?

I have been using MFP for years and don't usually come for the forums. Just made that observation looking at a couple threads including the replies to this one.

I'd venture to guess the most annoying questions are from women. Men rarely post about not being able to eat enough, set some ridiculous low calorie goal, and complain when their spouse is losing more weight then them (despite differing genetics).

Oh and there are probably more women on here.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me that even on a FITNESS website designed to help people LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE, the ones who are in prime physical condition are extremely rude and degrading toward the people who aren't all the way there yet. But at least they're doing something about it rather than just sitting at home!! Those people need to find another way to feel better about themselves rather than putting people down.

Personally, I've only had one person say something directed towards me. But I've been noticing it a lot more lately in the threads that I am reading.

For example the one I just read, the girl was asking if she could be concerned about dramatic weight loss because she was only eating 1200-1300 calories a day rather than the recommended 1700 some odd calories. One of the first comments is from a guy saying, "Well if you're struggling to eat that many now, then how did you get to big to begin with?? Only saying what people are thinking"

SHUT THE *kitten* UP. Yeah, people that were bigger ate a bigger quantity of unhealthy food. GET OVER IT. They're trying to change and be healthy. I know from my 10 weeks of being on here that when I eat healthier foods that are good for me and fill me up, I find it difficult to even get to the 1200 calorie goal and end up around 800-900/day.

The point is, they're here and they're trying to change their former habits. ENCOURAGE them and BE SUPPORTIVE. No one needs or wants your negativity. If you lack that decency, then find somewhere ELSE to be with other vain people like yourself. This is a place of support.

Well, that's my rant for today.
    (Edited for a spelling error)

Apparently some that are not in prime physical condition can be rude and degrading also.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    ENCOURAGE them and BE SUPPORTIVE.

But....why should I encourage and support something that isn't healthy, and that will probably end up harming them in the long run? I won't do that.

Exactly. I will not support someone who is intent on harming themselves. That's complicity - and morally reprehensible at best to do so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

When I was on vacation a couple of years ago, my daughter accidentally bumped into a smaller child in the pool. His father grabbed my daughter by her elbow and began to publicly berate her for her weight, when I tried to discuss the problem with him, he referred to me as 'big mama'. You're right. The Internet is not like real life. I find total strangers on the Internet to be FAR more respectful than bullies in real life.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I think the world just needs better parents. If there were, their kids wouldn't be such arrogant, entitled, rude, (insert numerous other names here)... brats. :)

I'm not saying I'm perfect. Far from it, actually.

(I found out why I'm ranting this morning. I forgot to have my coffee!)

Reading your OP, yes, perhaps better parenting would resolve that.
    It isn't the coffee.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you.

Alot of negative from people on here and everyone seems to be an "expert"

Just stick with what works for you. I would never judge.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    People just don't seem to understand the difference between being helpful and being rude. Helpful is giving advice or contributing something that is actually going to help the person asking a question.

And yeah, there is a lot of sarcasm. But for those of you who don't know... there is actually a difference between sarcastic comments and witty comments.

And yes, telling the rude people to shut the *kitten* up was rude on my part. I do actually apologize for that. I'm not usually that way. I'm one of the people who just wants to see everyone succeed. I understand people have different ways of learning, but I have NEVER met anyone who learns from people being rude.

I definitely understand the difference between sarcasm and wit. I appreciate both, respectively.

And you just don't seem to understand that not every views "being helpful" in the same way that you do. That's ok - we don't all have to share the same outlook and opinion as you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There's a fine line between someone who is simply straightforward/blunt/disagreeing with you and someone who is being rude.

Often, it's a misunderstanding on both sides.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    i agree with you 100% on this . If I were a mod I would ban those kinds of members who act rudely like that. we can all act like mature adults here when someone needs help suggest something in a polite manner without being mean to someone acting like that sounds like someone who is a toddler just saying.......
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    i dont get why more people just dont google things....read up on things then try out different things

instead of asking strangers what works all the time

Who wants to do all that work? They're already starving and doing 2 hours of cardio a day! Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

OMG, that made me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.