HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just wanted to remind some women who are reading this and who may not be lifting yet-the way we look when we are flexed is not how we walk around looking all the time. Unless you walk around flexed all the time but that would just be weird. Someone might not like the "look" of my flexed picture here, fine, but there's no way you can call me bulky.

You are one of the ladies on here that inspired me to start lifting. Will never look back.

+1 to this! :)

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @ngaliyin - I will try to help best I can. Does seem like you should be able to lose on 1500-1700 instead of gaining as I'm 4'11.5" and losing on eating that much.

As for activity level, it depends on what you do throughout the day. Other than days like today, when I get day off from work, I work 6-8 hour shifts on my feet. Freight day is a bit more action/lifting. Any day not as cashier is more moving around and taking care of things but even cashiering can be over 10,000 steps cause we don't have customers the whole time. I have mine set at lightly active on MFP because I'm more active than desk jobs but I have rest times where I'm stuck standing at a computer fixing photo orders, making canvases, or cashiering, which keeps it from being just active or very active. If you spend a portion of your day at a computer or not moving around, even if you go to the gym 4-5 days a week, then maybe it'd be the lower levels. I don't count my gym time for MFP but that gets added. If going for Total Daily Expenditure, I'd count the hours with everything else as laid out in the forms.

If you are consistent and weigh your foods, I'd wonder how come you are gaining instead of losing at 1700 calories or less. As for still losing, technically if in a deficit then it should work the amount of deficit just means how slow it might be. Towards the end, the last 20-ish is when many often recommend moving to a goal of .5 loss per week instead of 1 or 2 lbs a week. It's slower but still comes off over time and involves a smaller deficit. Helps with transition towards maintenance along with other things.

Still following ICF? Just curious. I considered it and know a few that are on that one.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    @ngaliyin - I will try to help best I can. Does seem like you should be able to lose on 1500-1700 instead of gaining as I'm 4'11.5" and losing on eating that much.

As for activity level, it depends on what you do throughout the day. Other than days like today, when I get day off from work, I work 6-8 hour shifts on my feet. Freight day is a bit more action/lifting. Any day not as cashier is more moving around and taking care of things but even cashiering can be over 10,000 steps cause we don't have customers the whole time. I have mine set at lightly active on MFP because I'm more active than desk jobs but I have rest times where I'm stuck standing at a computer fixing photo orders, making canvases, or cashiering, which keeps it from being just active or very active. If you spend a portion of your day at a computer or not moving around, even if you go to the gym 4-5 days a week, then maybe it'd be the lower levels. I don't count my gym time for MFP but that gets added. If going for Total Daily Expenditure, I'd count the hours with everything else as laid out in the forms.

If you are consistent and weigh your foods, I'd wonder how come you are gaining instead of losing at 1700 calories or less. As for still losing, technically if in a deficit then it should work the amount of deficit just means how slow it might be. Towards the end, the last 20-ish is when many often recommend moving to a goal of .5 loss per week instead of 1 or 2 lbs a week. It's slower but still comes off over time and involves a smaller deficit. Helps with transition towards maintenance along with other things.

Still following ICF? Just curious. I considered it and know a few that are on that one.

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

Yes, I'm still lifting ICF 5x5 3 times per week plus 1 other lifting day with my fitness trainer.

I don't have a physical job and I count my 4 days of weight lifting as my only activity.

Since I didn't lose this time around on 1200 to 1500 calories per day, I'm increasing calories to see if that makes a difference.

Today I've eaten 1863 calories - ha ha ha - I shall get to the bottom of this :smiley:

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I didn't read whole thread SOMEONE TELL WHAT "heavy lifting" is

is it benching 100lbs or 225?? deadlifting 135 or 315? squats the bar or 300??

seriously would like to know what you "heavy lifters " call heavy
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Ngaliyin You are probably building muscle due to 6 months off and retaining water. I gained weight for 3 months but lost 24 inches. Have you loss any inches?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

Heavy is a general term as what is heavy will vary on the individual. When you first start lifting, even benching the bar can be heavy for many people. You progress from there and what once was heavy becomes light and you get the fun of discovering new max weights and such. When I started the bar felt heavy for bench and I had never done squats or deadlifts before. Less than a year later, what is heavy to me is way different.

There is a site that shows general standards for untrained, beginner, intermediate and advanced but there isn't necessarily a standard of what is heavy. Also, some standard goals are things like bench body weight, squat 1.5 times body weight and deadlift 2 times body weight. But goals will vary on the individual as well.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options

Heavy is a general term as what is heavy will vary on the individual. When you first start lifting, even benching the bar can be heavy for many people. You progress from there and what once was heavy becomes light and you get the fun of discovering new max weights and such. When I started the bar felt heavy for bench and I had never done squats or deadlifts before. Less than a year later, what is heavy to me is way different.

There is a site that shows general standards for untrained, beginner, intermediate and advanced but there isn't necessarily a standard of what is heavy. Also, some standard goals are things like bench body weight, squat 1.5 times body weight and deadlift 2 times body weight. But goals will vary on the individual as well.

so how much are you lifting now??
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Working weights? I'm doing PHUL right now so on the power days I am at 95 for bench press, 175 for squats, 190 for deadlift, 95 for rows and 70 for overhead press. My max deadlift is 205 for 3 reps and I'm hoping to get that to 225 in the future along with bumping squat up to 185.

I started stronglifts back beginning of November with just the bar on most of the lifts, dropped lower for overhead press cause that lift is challenging, and took a little time to learn deadlift before moving up as I couldn't start with the 135 recommended amount.

Oh and my body weight currently is 140.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!
    That's good weight.. what is PHUL
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    NM I googled it
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    It's an upper/lower split. Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower (PHUL)

As fun as squatting every day was, I decided to change things up since I was already straying from the program even when I went from 5x5 to 3x5 by adding some accessories. I considered Wendler's and ICF as well but this is the one I decided to try. The plan is to stick to it for several months, hopefully at least 6 before assessing from there. Though I don't go to the gym 4 days a week yet as my gym is not close to where I live along with working my running times into the mix as I'm training for a 10k. However, if I change to a closer gym I'll probably switch my lifting days more to what fits the program better. I'm also still in a deficit so not really working on gaining muscle, but more maintaing at this time while I lose weight. After I get down closer to a healthier weight for my height, then I may consider what to do beyond that.
  • Ilovelucythebeagle
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Ngaliyin You are probably building muscle due to 6 months off and retaining water. I gained weight for 3 months but lost 24 inches. Have you loss any inches?

Ah sorry but you don't build muscle on 1200-1500 calories a day typically...esp a woman. It takes surplus of calories and a progressive load lifting calories to do that or recomp where you eat at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program and burn fat while build small amounts of muscle...and women have a hard time building muscle due to our low testosterone...

There are other times when there are noob gains but those are short lived as well as someone who is obese new to lifting who will build muscle

If the poster is gaining it's probably due to incorrect logging or water weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    It's an upper/lower split. Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower (PHUL)

As fun as squatting every day was, I decided to change things up since I was already straying from the program even when I went from 5x5 to 3x5 by adding some accessories. I considered Wendler's and ICF as well but this is the one I decided to try. The plan is to stick to it for several months, hopefully at least 6 before assessing from there. Though I don't go to the gym 4 days a week yet as my gym is not close to where I live along with working my running times into the mix as I'm training for a 10k. However, if I change to a closer gym I'll probably switch my lifting days more to what fits the program better. I'm also still in a deficit so not really working on gaining muscle, but more maintaing at this time while I lose weight. After I get down closer to a healthier weight for my height, then I may consider what to do beyond that.

I've been looking for a new program myself...will have to check this one out.

I did 5x5 for 9 months, then moved to 3x5 then to Wendlers which I've done for over a year now...need to switch it up.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Thank you, Fanncy0626!!!

I never did keep track of my inches so I don't know. My clothes fit the same.

BUT..... I ate 1863 calories yesterday and this morning I weigh 1.2lbs LESS than yesterday!!!!!

I am thrilled!!!

I shall keep this level of eating with my current lifting activities and see how it goes the next few weeks.

I have a feeling I'very found a happy medium for my body between my tdee and bmr :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Ah sorry but you don't build muscle on 1200-1500 calories a day typically...esp a woman. It takes surplus of calories and a progressive load lifting calories to do that or recomp where you eat at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program and burn fat while build small amounts of muscle...and women have a hard time building muscle due to our low testosterone...

There are other times when there are noob gains but those are short lived as well as someone who is obese new to lifting who will build muscle

If the poster is gaining it's probably due to incorrect logging or water weight.

Not true! If she is lifting she is injuring muscle and muscle repair is taking place. Therefore, muscle repair and water retention happens. Muscle can be built even at 1200 cal. If you really want to build muscle and strength it is highly suggested to eat protein because protein is the major building block of all cells. The higher calorie count of 1400 to 1700 cal with 80% of her bodyweight being protein in grams would be recommended.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just wanted to remind some women who are reading this and who may not be lifting yet-the way we look when we are flexed is not how we walk around looking all the time. Unless you walk around flexed all the time but that would just be weird. Someone might not like the "look" of my flexed picture here, fine, but there's no way you can call me bulky.

1) I say this all the time. Flexing is what we do (obsessively) during our "alone time" in front of the bathroom mirror.

2) You look stunning in both photos.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Finally decided it was time to post here. Lifting for just under a year that included stronglifts and new rules of lifting for women. Now doing PHUL. First picture was taken beginning of September 2014 and second picture was taken Sunday (the 20th). Just supah bulky... or maybe that's the before picture. :wink:

2sagn6p.jpg

Wait, so you're not actually a mouse that lifts a teeny-tiny barbell? You look amazing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Not true! If she is lifting she is injuring muscle and muscle repair is taking place. Therefore, muscle repair and water retention happens. Muscle can be built even at 1200 cal. If you really want to build muscle and strength it is highly suggested to eat protein because protein is the major building block of all cells. The higher calorie count of 1400 to 1700 cal with 80% of her bodyweight being protein in grams would be recommended.

you are wrong. Protein will help repair the muscles yes but in order to build muscle you have to be in a surplus unless the other factors are there such as noob gains or being obese and lifting...

repairs don't equal building.

you eat protein while in a deficit to help keep the current muscle you have and it's calculated at 0.8 grams of protein for each 1lb of weight or 1gram per pound of LBM.

I personally need about 2500 calories to start building muscles as my maintenance is anywhere between 2200-2400...or recomp which is what I prefer to a bulk.

Don't confuse building strength with building muscle or losing fat and uncovering muscle as building.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

You cannot build muscle at 1200 calories. The energy needed simply isn't there. That's why people do bulk and cut cycles. You can strengthen your existing muscles, but you can't build new mass.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!