HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a question about deadlifts, I'm hoping some of you strong lasses might help. The last few times I have tried deadlifts I have found my grip on the bar isn't strong enough. I was trying to lift 40kg/88 lbs and although my hamstrings, back, shoulders felt fine at this weight, I was only able to do six lifts before I could feel the bar slipping out of my grasp and had to stop. Similar problem with squats in that I can squat 35kg/77 lbs but struggle to clean and press this weight to get the bar onto my shoulders. I have tried a smiths machine but didn't like the angle of travel. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    I have a question about deadlifts, I'm hoping some of you strong lasses might help. The last few times I have tried deadlifts I have found my grip on the bar isn't strong enough. I was trying to lift 40kg/88 lbs and although my hamstrings, back, shoulders felt fine at this weight, I was only able to do six lifts before I could feel the bar slipping out of my grasp and had to stop. Similar problem with squats in that I can squat 35kg/77 lbs but struggle to clean and press this weight to get the bar onto my shoulders. I have tried a smiths machine but didn't like the angle of travel. Any suggestions? Thanks

Yes that is a common problem.
    I have the same.
    Keep at it and do some separate wrist exercises when you can.

Good luck!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    for dead lifts you can use wrist straps (loop over your wrists and then wrap round the bar - helps my rubbish little tendonitis-prone arms a lot!)
  • 39flavours
    Options
    for dead lifts you can use wrist straps (loop over your wrists and then wrap round the bar - helps my rubbish little tendonitis-prone arms a lot!)

Brilliant thanks, I have just ordered some straps!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Are you holding the bar with a double over hand grip? My grip is much stronger when my right hand is over
    hand and my left hand is underhand.

t1kvcvktmbia.jpg

This is how I deadlift(highest for me is only 250lbs but working on it). I don’t like straps as they just make the bar more bulky and harder to hang onto. You may or may not have the same issue but I could not get used to it. I felt the same about gloves. I prefer to alter my grip, am getting used to hook grip as well, and do things like farmer carry’s for distance to help with my grip on alternate days.

• 39flavours
    Options

Are you holding the bar with a double over hand grip? My grip is much stronger when my right hand is over

t1kvcvktmbia.jpg

Thanks, I've seen this grip on a few sites but they always seem to say that it's a bad grip due to uneven strain put on the shoulders by the over/under placement of the hands. But if you find it effective then that's a good endorsement as from what I gather you're quite experienced with free weight exercises, so I'll give it a go!
    I also saw the hook grip described (where the thumbs press against the underside of the fingers?) but it was said to be only effective with larger (man's) hands.
  • 39flavours
    Options

t1kvcvktmbia.jpg

This is how I deadlift(highest for me is only 250lbs but working on it). I don’t like straps as they just make the bar more bulky and harder to hang onto. You may or may not have the same issue but I could not get used to it. I felt the same about gloves. I prefer to alter my grip, am getting used to hook grip as well, and do things like farmer carry’s for distance to help with my grip on alternate days.

Bloody ek! 250 pounds! That's massive! I've got some working to do!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

t1kvcvktmbia.jpg

Thanks, I've seen this grip on a few sites but they always seem to say that it's a bad grip due to uneven strain put on the shoulders by the over/under placement of the hands. But if you find it effective then that's a good endorsement as from what I gather you're quite experienced with free weight exercises, so I'll give it a go!
    I also saw the hook grip described (where the thumbs press against the underside of the fingers?) but it was said to be only effective with larger (man's) hands.

I can (moderately comfortably) hook grip about 1.5x my bodyweight right now. I use alternating grip for weights heavier than that, switching hands each set. I do things like one arm dead hangs and farmers carries to build grip strength.
  • 39flavours
    Options

t1kvcvktmbia.jpg

I can (moderately comfortably) hook grip about 1.5x my bodyweight right now. I use alternating grip for weights heavier than that, switching hands each set. I do things like one arm dead hangs and farmers carries to build grip strength.

Good idea to switch hands each set, I'll try that. I saw someone doing farmer's carrys at the gym yesterday. I thought it looked good for obliques, didn't think of how it could help with grip too, thank you!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I second (or third) mixed/alternating grip.

Use double overhand as much as you can. Warm ups, lighter sets, and as many of your working sets as you can. What is happening is that the bar is rolling out of your hands. Using a mixed grip will stop the roll because as it rolls out of one hand it rolls more into the other hand.

I had to switched at 135/140, but I continue to use double overhand for all warm ups and any lighter sets. I can now do double overhand up to about 160. Doing other things that use your grip will help as well, farmer's carries and what not. I also alternate the hands, so they both get the even strain.

Your grip is often the limiting factor on deadlifts, especially for women. The posterior chain can handle much more.

Do you have access to a squat rack or the ability to purchase one? It will be hard to continue to progress on squats without a rack. I figure if you have access to a Smith machine, you probably could access a rack, but I may be wrong.

I've never tried straps, but I figured I could go with my grip (using mixed grip when needed) as long as possible.

I wear gloves, little bitty ones that just cover the base of my fingers and the very top of my palms. Keeps my skin from ripping on deadlift day. I've tried chalk and I just prefer the gloves for now, but I may try chalk again in the future.
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hope it's OK to bump this (again)! Getting much more into lifting and this thread is amazing, there are some incredible transformations and it's super inspirational
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    n5tfmhtdl50a.jpeg

I had a boyfriend tell me I was getting ‘man arms’ and should do yoga.
    I headed straight to the gym and used it for fuel.
    Years later, I still do.
    I dropped a kitten-ton of bulk when I unloaded his sorry kitten.

I’m currently a bit shrunken, dealing with dualing crappy injuries and surgeries.

Finally posting here to remind myself that I’ll be back. I’ll be dominating gravity. I’ll be feeling strong as all get-out. I’ll have my fun veins back. (No, not everyone gets them or likes them. I do and I do.)

Meantime, I’m doing yoga. Not for sleek arms, for mobility and flexibility. So I can return from injury and pick up the heavy stuff that makes my heart sing.

Daaaaang!!! I want those arms!!! 🙌
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    n5tfmhtdl50a.jpeg

Years later, I still do.

I’m currently a bit shrunken, dealing with dualing crappy injuries and surgeries.

Finally posting here to remind myself that I’ll be back. I’ll be dominating gravity. I’ll be feeling strong as all get-out. I’ll have my fun veins back. (No, not everyone gets them or likes them. I do and I do.)

Meantime, I’m doing yoga. Not for sleek arms, for mobility and flexibility. So I can return from injury and pick up the heavy stuff that makes my heart sing.

Daaaaang!!! I want those arms!!! 🙌

Trade you for those gorgeous quads of yours :)
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wish I had those arms!!! Beautiful!!!!
    n5tfmhtdl50a.jpeg

Years later, I still do.

• rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wish I had those arms!!! Beautiful!!!!

Yeah that's basically my goal as well, I'd love to be that strong!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!