Women and Men... Who would you approach?

Options

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you didn't mean just at the gym, then that's what I have OKCupid for. I get to know people in cyberspace first so it's not (as) awkward when we finally meet in meatspace.

Also, I would totally try to pick up a girl reading Game of Thrones at a bar on Saturday night. I'd introduce myself as Jaime and ask what hers is and say it's like looking in a mirror. Even funnier if she was blond.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    OK I see a lot of "I'll talk to anyones." That's a feel good answer. That's kind of getting away from the spirit of the original question. Sure, you might talk to anyone but you won't APPROACH just anyone. Let's put it this way. You're out somewhere, grocery store, gym, bar, wherever. You see someone across the room you want to talk to. What gets you to walk over? All I'm saying is, for women it is that the guy is super good looking. Men have a wider standard. As far as who you'll talk to or even go out with it might not be as narrow but women don't approach average/below average guys.

and all MANY of us are saying is NOT THE SUPER GOOD LOOKING ONES.

Yes, I am yelling.

If I were to approach anyone... it would be the average guy.

IT
    WOULD
    BE
    THE
    AVERAGE
    GUY

Hey gurl, how YOU doin?

I've already told you I think you're handsome. If you came up to me and struck up a convo... I'd totally stick around.

Now I am entertaining the possibility of a girl just flat out walking away from me. :laugh:

Oh man, my butthurt would be pretty strong.

LMAO.. that TOTALLY came out wrong. (Lost point for social graces).
    That was my attempt at telling you I like ya, wheird.

I am usually on a mission... point a to point b, walking fast, head down... and no pausing in between. (partly why people don't approach me). So, sometimes someone will say hi, and I'll say hi back and then continue on.

That's what I meant by sticking around. I'd hang out and chat a while.
    :blushing:
    boy my foot tastes gud

:laugh:

If we were somewhere like an airport and you were next to me, I would likely try to strike up a conversation. Though I am bad at small talk, so I would hope that you are chatty. :tongue:

Though I think it is easy to mistake shyness for a "**** off" vibe. I think that, more than anything, prevents me from putting myself out there more.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you were going to walk up to someone and strike up a conversation... who would you approach?

Someone who looks like a model?
    Someone who is of average looks?
    Someone with less than average looks?
    Someone who smiles at you, regardless of their looks?

Please explain why.

Note: the end goal is not necessarily to get into their pants, but maybe start a dialog that could be the start of something.

Someone who smiles at me, but then again I have had some relationship problems so IDK.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZVlKFKmmUWCDTJxRjH2Mppl6QyqRrxGJ7L12mc43SzXhve38c
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you were going to walk up to someone and strike up a conversation... who would you approach?

Someone who looks like a model?
    Someone who is of average looks?
    Someone with less than average looks?
    Someone who smiles at you, regardless of their looks?

Please explain why.

Note: the end goal is not necessarily to get into their pants, but maybe start a dialog that could be the start of something.

Not sure I can really answer the OP based on the specific categories cited. In my case, connecting with someone is based on a certain "vibe" I get/don't get (and this doesn't necessarily mean in a sexual way). It's not really dependent on somone's appearance, but more on the individual/given set of circumstances. If there's that subtle connection, great.....if not, I won't waste either of our time. I make many acquaintenances, but only a small number of folks I consider "close"....that's the difference between "the vibe" and lack thereof.

THIS, I understand. Sometimes you just "click" with people and those are hard to walk away from. Looks don't really play into this at all. However at some point after being friends/or dating awhile, I get a pavlov like response and they start to actually look better looking to me each time I see them, just because I like them.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would approach anyone, I am not shy, looks, wealth, status has no affect on me. I spark up conversations all the time almost anywhere I go.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't strike up conversations. I don't like people.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

OK I see a lot of "I'll talk to anyone." That's a feel good answer. That's kind of getting away from the spirit of the original question. Sure, you might talk to anyone but you won't APPROACH just anyone. Let's put it this way. You're out somewhere, grocery store, gym, bar, wherever. You see someone across the room you want to talk to. What gets you to walk over? All I'm saying is, for women is that the guy has to be super good looking. Men have a wider standard and are more flexible. As far as who you'll talk to or even go out with it might not be as narrow but women don't approach average/below average guys.

Its not your looks preventing you from being approached, it's this ^ crappy attitude. Most people can sense this immediately and it is a huge turn off.

But you are not going to listen, so this is how people are feeling trying to explain it to you.

DOPqg6H.gif

Attitude is kind of a generic cop out excuse. To say I project an attitude of any kind shopping at the grocery store or lifting at the gym is a little silly. OK, put me in a club where I'm not comfortable (not a big dance guy) sure, maybe I'll appear self conscious or out of my element. At the store though shopping for chicken? Not buying it.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

OK I see a lot of "I'll talk to anyone." That's a feel good answer. That's kind of getting away from the spirit of the original question. Sure, you might talk to anyone but you won't APPROACH just anyone. Let's put it this way. You're out somewhere, grocery store, gym, bar, wherever. You see someone across the room you want to talk to. What gets you to walk over? All I'm saying is, for women is that the guy has to be super good looking. Men have a wider standard and are more flexible. As far as who you'll talk to or even go out with it might not be as narrow but women don't approach average/below average guys.

Its not your looks preventing you from being approached, it's this ^ crappy attitude. Most people can sense this immediately and it is a huge turn off.

But you are not going to listen, so this is how people are feeling trying to explain it to you.

DOPqg6H.gif

Attitude is kind of a generic cop out excuse. To say I project an attitude of any kind shopping at the grocery store or lifting at the gym is a little silly. OK, put me in a club where I'm not comfortable (not a big dance guy) sure, maybe I'll appear self conscious or out of my element. At the store though shopping for chicken? Not buying it.

I would be willing to bet that you have your hatred of women all over your face, all the time...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Do you talk to people at your gym? No?

Lots of people do. They'll sit and bs with folks and check if people need spots and talk with the trainers and flirt with people or talk to people about the progress they've made or the weather or whatever the heck ever.

Attitude does matter.
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

Do you talk to people at your gym? No?

Lots of people do. They'll sit and bs with folks and check if people need spots and talk with the trainers and flirt with people or talk to people about the progress they've made or the weather or whatever the heck ever.

Attitude does matter.

If I was doing the flirting that wouldn't be someone approaching me would it? That would be me flirting with them. Again, missing the entire point of the the original question.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't approach peopl, I'm super shy however if someone talks to me I will chat back, I enjoy meeting new people but I'm just that shy
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Can we all just agree that generally men are expected to do the approaching? That said, for the ladies, what did the last guy you approached with the intention of asking out look like?

Lies, women do the approaching :laugh:

Exactly the point. For guys that look like your pic yes. For guys that look like my pic no chance. Why women are afraid to admit this is beyond me.

What's on the outside isn't why women won't have anything to do with you. It's what's on the inside. They have a sixth sense about that stuff.
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

DOPqg6H.gif

I would be willing to bet that you have your hatred of women all over your face, all the time...

That's a huge leap. Seriously? I mean I'm seeing someone. She obviously doesn't think I hate women. Consider I don't. I just know people. I know how they work. I see the obvious. Maybe it makes everyone else feel better to sugar coat things but I'm more of a realist. If women approached guys like me they would, guess what, approach guys like me. Not a tough concept. Can a guy that looks like me make up for it with personality? Yes. And I do. Does that matter to women who see me at the grocery store and know nothing about me? No. Same at the gym. Probably worse. The gym is an abs for forget it zone as far as meeting women.
  • drchimpanzee
    Options
    Can we all just agree that generally men are expected to do the approaching? That said, for the ladies, what did the last guy you approached with the intention of asking out look like?

Exactly the point. For guys that look like your pic yes. For guys that look like my pic no chance. Why women are afraid to admit this is beyond me.

What's on the outside isn't why women won't have anything to do with you. It's what's on the inside. They have a sixth sense about that stuff.

LOL not they don't? Haven't ever met women who say stuff like, "he seemed so nice but then he cheated on me" or "he seemed so great but turned out to be a jerk?" Shouldn't women use that six sense of theirs to weed out those guys?
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    I would approach the person that has the most clothes on.

The most satisfying and exciting way of undressing another person is to do it with your eyes while leaving their clothes on. The actual flesh, when revealed, is usually horrifying, fragmented, disproportional, too pale or too dark, and full of regret, anger, disappointment.

The imaginary body, on the other hand, is idealizes, stylized and much more charming... I know this because when I saw my ex girlfriend naked for the first time in the shower, I noticed that her nipple placement was way off - they were too far apart by a few centimeters. It was awful.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

LOL not they don't? Haven't ever met women who say stuff like, "he seemed so nice but then he cheated on me" or "he seemed so great but turned out to be a jerk?" Shouldn't women use that six sense of theirs to weed out those guys?

much better to say.. "he seemed like such a jerk, but I figured I'd try anyways and I was right."
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

DOPqg6H.gif

That's a huge leap. Seriously? I mean I'm seeing someone. She obviously doesn't think I hate women. Consider I don't. I just know people. I know how they work. I see the obvious. Maybe it makes everyone else feel better to sugar coat things but I'm more of a realist. If women approached guys like me they would, guess what, approach guys like me. Not a tough concept. Can a guy that looks like me make up for it with personality? Yes. And I do. Does that matter to women who see me at the grocery store and know nothing about me? No. Same at the gym. Probably worse. The gym is an abs for forget it zone as far as meeting women.

Realist? I'm not gorgeous or anything, but when I was single I got lots of attention from the ladies. It's not all about how hot you are.
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

much better to say.. "he seemed like such a jerk, but I figured I'd try anyways and I was right."

much better to say.. "he seemed like such a jerk, but he was soo good looking I figured I'd try anyways and I was right."
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Generally, regardless of looks, I am more likely to approach someone who I can tell by something about their appearance or the way they are dressed that we have a common interest to speak about.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The smart women do. It's why you rarely date and women don't like you.

You might want to ask your GF what's wrong with her sixth sense.