How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• jamiecoles
    jamiecoles Posts: 8
    Options
    A glass of water.

Or some berries/fruit. Psychologically, the sweetness gives you a fuller sensation. Plus, you can't go wrong with fruit :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. If you're full, why would you want to eat more? And if you DON'T want to, why would you?
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options
    I was raised in a "clean your plate" house too - I get real anxious not finishing.

Now I plan to EAT HALF AND SAVE HALF for lunch or dinner the next day. I live on a reservation and wild dogs are a problem, hungry emaciated ones, so the "doggie bag" rarely makes it home anyway... (And I feel great having helped a fellow creature.)

My boyfriend and I like to split meals too, it works out really well that way (and saves a lot of money!)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a "clean your plate" house too - I get real anxious not finishing.

Now I plan to EAT HALF AND SAVE HALF for lunch or dinner the next day. I live on a reservation and wild dogs are a problem, hungry emaciated ones, so the "doggie bag" rarely makes it home anyway... (And I feel great having helped a fellow creature.)

My boyfriend and I like to split meals too, it works out really well that way (and saves a lot of money!)

Great answer. And I just have to say it...you are an astoundingly beautiful woman.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

My mom would make me sit there for everrrrrrr trying to force me to eat something I hated. Her chicken pot pie for example. It looked like a sea of snot littered with peas and carrots. In the mornings she would pour a bowl of cereal for each of the 4 of us, pour in the milk, then come wake us up for school. By the time we got to the table the stuff was a nasty slimy mess. I couldn't even choke it down. If I didn't eat it she would get a spoon and shove it in my mouth and that would trigger my gag reflex. She would always say "Eat it or wear it!" then dump it over my head. Maybe this is still in my head somewhere at meal time.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

My mom would make me sit there for everrrrrrr trying to force me to eat something I hated. Her chicken pot pie for example. It looked like a sea of snot littered with peas and carrots. In the mornings she would pour a bowl of cereal for each of the 4 of us, pour in the milk, then come wake us up for school. By the time we got to the table the stuff was a nasty slimy mess. I couldn't even choke it down. If I didn't eat it she would get a spoon and shove it in my mouth and that would trigger my gag reflex. She would always say "Eat it or wear it!" then dump it over my head. Maybe this is still in my head somewhere at meal time.

I NEVER liked chicken pot pie either, even to this day. My hubby and children love it. Funny you described it as "a sea of snot littered with peas and carrots." :laugh: That's my feeling too. Word's can't describe how sorry I am that your mother would say/do "eat it or wear it" then dump it on your head---:cry: {{{{ Sorrowful Hugs }}}}--that's mean and traumatic. :cry:

I grew up in a home also where we had to "clean our plates" because children in (fill in the blank of countries that back when were starving and today are the next super powers of our world) are starving. I had a choice, to eat the junk I hated or else...I had to humble myself and eat it--I didn't like it, but like much in life, I learned then hard way that I can't always have my way and I must eat and do things I just don't like (like exercising and eating smaller portions and stuff like that). Funny thing is---6 months ago I HATED exercising with all of my heart, and hated eating certain things and smaller portions). Now I love (well really really like) exercising and many of the foods I thought were the most disgusting and portion sizes that seemed foolishly small.

Again, {{{{:heart: Hugs :heart: }}}} for the trauma you experienced and may all of our childhood traumas and dramas somehow make us all better instead of bitter!
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options
    [/quote]
    My mom would make me sit there for everrrrrrr trying to force me to eat something I hated. Her chicken pot pie for example. It looked like a sea of snot littered with peas and carrots.
    [/quote]

Lol how colorful! lol (gross!!)
    You know, I was sitting with my BF's daughter at lunch the other day and it makes me think about how we're training kids to eat.
    First off, we rush them, studies show if you eat slow you eat less, why are we rushing kids and un-training that naturally healthy approach?
    Secondly, why make them eat everything!? She is 5 and had an arby's sandwich and it was a bit big for her, I told her, if you want to just eat the meat and leave the bun thats fine (There is more "stuff" in the meat then the bun and probably the same calorie count anyway) so she ate the meat, only as much as she wanted, as slow as she wanted, and we moved on in life. Why is that such a big deal?

Edited: @MelsAuntie Thank you so much!! Haha I don't think I've had many compliments like that thank you :)
    Options

I NEVER liked chicken pot pie either, even to this day. My hubby and children love it. Funny you described it as "a sea of snot littered with peas and carrots." :laugh: That's my feeling too. Word's can't describe how sorry I am that your mother would say/do "eat it or wear it" then dump it on your head---:cry: {{{{ Sorrowful Hugs }}}}--that's mean and traumatic. :cry:

I grew up in a home also where we had to "clean our plates" because children in (fill in the blank of countries that back when were starving and today are the next super powers of our world) are starving. I had a choice, to eat the junk I hated or else...I had to humble myself and eat it--I didn't like it, but like much in life, I learned then hard way that I can't always have my way and I must eat and do things I just don't like (like exercising and eating smaller portions and stuff like that). Funny thing is---6 months ago I HATED exercising with all of my heart, and hated eating certain things and smaller portions). Now I love (well really really like) exercising and many of the foods I thought were the most disgusting and portion sizes that seemed foolishly small.

Again, {{{{:heart: Hugs :heart: }}}} for the trauma you experienced and may all of our childhood traumas and dramas somehow make us all better instead of bitter!

Thanks you! I think that with my own kids my personal experience has really influenced how I deal with them. I don't force them to eat things they don't want to eat, but I do encourage them to try just a bite. I also start them out with less than I think they will eat, and if they want more it's fine, if not, then that's fine too! Gotta use it for good instead of evil!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Thanks you! I think that with my own kids my personal experience has really influenced how I deal with them. I don't force them to eat things they don't want to eat, but I do encourage them to try just a bite. I also start them out with less than I think they will eat, and if they want more it's fine, if not, then that's fine too! Gotta use it for good instead of evil!

BOOM! That's shero talk and the stuff WINNERS are made of! I'm proud of you for taking the bad and turning it into good for yourself and your beloved children. You ROCK, period. Thank you so much for posting--so inspirational & powerful too--WOOT:drinker: :smooched: :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This thread has really helped me understand that counseling for people with eating issues (such as binge eating, and eating when already full) is important.

I used to think it was hogwash. This thread has helped me understand I was being closed minded.

Wow. If I were to eat after I was full, it would literally hurt me. So I wouldn't do it, I feel for people who can't stop there. That sucks.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Do most people REALLY eat faster than that?!?!?!?! That is INSANE. I like to relax and enjoy the meal. I'll work til 6pm every night, just so I can have a leisurely 90 min lunch. I know I'm not that typical, but under 20 mins? Really?

My husband eats SUPER fast. We can be having pizza and I'll still be working on my ONLY slice and he's eaten 4 or 5 and possibly even be done eating.

I am a stay at home mom, who had 3 kids; 3 yrs old and under. Then when they were school ages finally, i homeschooled them all. I had to speed eat if I wanted to get any food at all in me. It became a habit. I am just now relearning how to eat slowly. ( they are 16,18,19 now)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    If I am full, I will eat until I am extra full. If I am extra full, I will eat until I am stuffed. No amount of fiber, protein, water, carbs, fat or whatever else can take my endless hunger away. I never felt this way until I quit smoking. I used to binge daily. I removed wheat from my diet and I no longer felt like I had to stuff in as much as possible as fast as possible, but still I do tend to want to keep eating even though it is on a smaller scale. It's turned from binging, into extended nibbling. It could be mental. It could be an oral thing. Smoking turned into eating perhaps. But believe it, there are some of us who just can't stop. The longer I avoid eating, the better I am at not eating when I am full. If I eat several times a day, I tend to want to eat endlessly. I have considered getting help for this. I would like to see an end to this urge.

Yes, this...OMG this.... if you figure out what it takes to end it PLEASEEEEE let me know.

God what it would feel like to just 'know' that you are done, full. To say the words "Yep, I'm done." and REALLY feel it, and not continue to want to graze/nibble or binge.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Myself I try to eat untill I am no longer hungry full to me means I overate. Lateley ive been fairly successful in that like others I eat fruits and veggies they tend to fill me up.
    My issue is those cravings I have when im not even hungry can you say ICE CREAM. Those are the ones I have difficulty with redirecting.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This thread has really helped me understand that counseling for people with eating issues (such as binge eating, and eating when already full) is important.

I used to think it was hogwash. This thread has helped me understand I was being closed minded.

Wow. If I were to eat after I was full, it would literally hurt me. So I wouldn't do it, I feel for people who can't stop there. That sucks.

Thank you for being open minded about this topic. It's a real issue. Not because people want to inflict pain upon themselves but almost like this feeling that there is something to be found in that last bite (which doesn't happen) so they try one more. Maybe I am just speaking for myself here but why else would one do it? Yes it tastes good, but no better than that first bite did when you were actually hungry. I think people have great ideas here (except for smoking). Getting to go boxes, splitting the food in half, keeping busy right away, redirecting thinking. I would love to know why some people seem to get it though and stop eating whereas other people truly struggle. Although, that's probably a question that no one can answer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't always stop eating after I'm full. In fact I often eat very light throughout the day so I can one meal where I can eat after I'm full. I don't know why but sometimes I really like to feel stuffed. I prefer to work with my quirks instead of trying to change them.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. If you're full, why would you want to eat more? And if you DON'T want to, why would you?

Say low self-esteem. You thereby block everything out perceived to be connected with it.

Or who knows, some might stuff themselves to loosen up stubborn constipation, lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Because the food is delicious. Being an awesome cook can be both a blessing and a curse.
    Options

Thank you for being open minded about this topic. It's a real issue. Not because people want to inflict pain upon themselves but almost like this feeling that there is something to be found in that last bite (which doesn't happen) so they try one more. Maybe I am just speaking for myself here but why else would one do it? Yes it tastes good, but no better than that first bite did when you were actually hungry. I think people have great ideas here (except for smoking). Getting to go boxes, splitting the food in half, keeping busy right away, redirecting thinking. I would love to know why some people seem to get it though and stop eating whereas other people truly struggle. Although, that's probably a question that no one can answer.

What's funny is, I have rarely felt uncomfortable after eating my weight in whatever. It's strange. I never really thought about it before.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i put the fork down.