How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This is gross but... When was I was overeating and night binging I use to imagine myself getting sick and throwing it up(not purging). I hate throwing up and imagining it all coming up helped :indifferent: . Now I don't have to anymore :smile:
  • LittleMommaThatCould
    LittleMommaThatCould Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I push my plate over to my teenage son (high metabolism calorie burning machine). He finishes it off so I have no problem. :laugh:

No need for him to be teenage! My 7 year old son does this as well. He'll ask for it if I stop eating it. I swear he is ALWAYS hungry!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I know someone who would shake a lot of salt on it when she was full. It would keep her from picking at it while talking to others.

I've been known to dump dish soap on my food when I'm done, then dump the whole thing in the compost bin. If you wanna be grossed out, imagine trying to pull dish soap-laden food where mould has been growing.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel satisfied when I'm done eating what I've portioned for myself. For some reason, it takes a long time for the food to "hit my stomach". So I get up from the table and go do something enjoyable for a while. I actually took up knitting for this reason. I chill after dinner, knit a little and before I know it, I'm no longer hungry. It keeps my hands and mind busy and breaks the chew/swallow cycle. This idea won't help when eating out, but it works when eating at home.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No.....not everyone.

ETA: this was my response to a couple of people who said they just stop when they are full. Isn't that what everyone does? I just love the sarcasm that comes from someone's dilemma. I wouldn't have posted a topic if it weren't an issue it I am so very glad you don't struggle with this issue.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel satisfied when I'm done eating what I've portioned for myself. For some reason, it takes a long time for the food to "hit my stomach". So I get up from the table and go do something enjoyable for a while. I actually took up knitting for this reason.

I confess to having no idea what people using the term satisfied are talking about. Do they all mean the same thing, or do the various individuals have their own different take on it? Could it be that when people can't explain why they are doing something, they infer that they are doing it because it's the only thing to do. Maybe you could tell me what is going on. And please, speak as you might to a young child. Or a golden retriever.
  • IstinaNicole
    Options
    I was also raised with the "clean your plate" family. I was watching my niece and told her the same thing. I could have hit myself. I tried to do damage control but when her "cool" aunt told her to clean her plate she felt obligated. I felt horrible. Even worse is the "i paid good money so I'm gonna eat it all even if it's horrible" mentality. Both rather difficult to over come...still working on it. One day :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    umm when I am full I stop eating..isn't that what everyone does...?

No. Sometimes I eat after I'm full for no other reason than it's near bedtime and MFP thinks I haven't had enough calories for the day. :grumble:
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My zumba instructor asked this question one time and I thought it was interesting. One of the ways she would stop herself from eating when she was full was to picture something gross (like a hair) in her food. She said it would gross her out and she would stop eating. I noticed that if I go out to eat (and can't really take the leftovers home) that instead of picking at my food when full I cover it with a napkin and push the napkin down a little bit so I CAN'T eat anymore. Sometimes the waiter isn't around to get the plate so I need a little trick. If I don't do this kind of stuff then most likely I will consume the whole meal even though I was filled up after about half. What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeve. It doesn't necessarily have to be going out to eat because I realize some people just don't do that.
    To help curb the cravings of something sweet after a meal, always wait for 20 minutes or so but also have soemthing like a herbal tea with a spoon of honey.