How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Pop a mint, don't want to eat after that.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I leave the table and go log the meal. It's my reality check. This also tells me if I should walk the dog for 20 minutes or 40.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).

seriously???....there is no benefit to smoking....
  • bagelc
    bagelc Posts: 3
    Options
    My advice is to make sure the portions on your plate are reasonable
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When i'm full, I get up and walk away. I don't care how much is left. I have it boxed up and sometimes, "forget" it at the restaurant. If i'm stuck at the table, I physically move the plate out of my face.

I have no issues whatsoever with leaving food. But, if it's good food i'll take it home for leftovers or for the dogs.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.

Holy smokes!!!! Great job!
  • CJsoon
    CJsoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    THIS BY FAR WASNMY FAVORITE!!!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).

Sorry to say this but I don't see smoking as a "benefit" in any context.
  • CJsoon
    CJsoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If it's a restaurant meal I get the box ahead of time and portion my leftovers before I start eating. That way I have before me what I intended to eat. I eat slowly so I can recognize being full. If I'm tempted to dip into my leftovers I think about the fact that I'm denying myself the treat of the leftovers the next day (I love leftovers with an egg on them for a big brunch-style breakfast).

If it's a home meal, I do pretty much the same thing--portion out my amount for myself and whoever else I'm cooking for, and then pack the leftovers away (if there are any--I try to just cook what we're eating most of the time) before I sit down.

DEFINITELY GONNA USE THIS ONE THANKS
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I'm full, I no longer have the desire to eat. Is this a common issue? Do people, besides those who binge, have issues eating after they're full?

A lot of us were raised in a "clean your plate" household (there are starving children in Africa!). Depending on the specifics of how this was done, it can result in actual anxiety over leaving food "go to waste" (especially if it's at that weird amount where there's not really enough for another meal).

It might sound dumb to those who didn't grow up that way, but it's one of those things that gets trained into you on a Pavlovian level and requires a tremendous amount of time and effort to untrain.

To those that grew up that way, or anyone that ends up facing it again, I think you'll appreciate my mom's response when my grandmother pulled the line on her one too many times - "if there are starving kids in Africa, then send my leftovers to them!"
  • lindsaymayer121
    Options
    It's easy, it takes 20 minutes usually to feel full. Most people eat faster than that, so they can finish their plate before they realize that they are full.

Do most people REALLY eat faster than that?!?!?!?! That is INSANE. I like to relax and enjoy the meal. I'll work til 6pm every night, just so I can have a leisurely 90 min lunch. I know I'm not that typical, but under 20 mins? Really?

It usually takes me 5-10 tops.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have started eating of a small plate, If I'm still "hungry" after my dinner I will have a drink (usually coke zero i love the stuff) and that usually settles my cravings for anything else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    umm when I am full I stop eating..isn't that what everyone does...?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just walk away and never look back, lol! :tongue:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You could brush your teeth, but honestly I remind myself that even if I go beast mode in the gym aesthetically speaking food/nutrition is more important.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just stop. I know sometimes it's tough and your mouth (not your stomach) might want to keep going, but there are no tricks that work for me.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    remind myself of what i used to be
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    umm when I am full I stop eating..isn't that what everyone does...?

It's what I do.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Willpower.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food so I eat what's in front of me and only stop when my plate is clean. It's win/win.