A fat girl who likes being fat?1?!?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow if the OP's blog is half as controversial as this post has been for her she must be a real hit.

However I find that MFP might not be the best place to try and get potential readers for your blog. Just my opinion.

Internet hits are hits. I wonder how many will head over to see if she blogs about this. Hi5 to the OP for raising your traffic! Brilliant! Maybe you should sign up for other fitness places like bodybuilding.com and see if this works too! I'm sure they'd have a lot of suggestions and support for you :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that anyone LIKES being morbidly obese. Surely there's a deeper issue going on that needs to be addressed

Yes, everyone needs a good dose of self loathing to be healthy. What's she thinking?

You make no sense. Instead of scrolling through the thread attempting to pick fights with every poster with whom you disagree, how about you find something better to do with your time?

Explain how I don't make sense?

Explain how you do... I'll wait.

You suggested she had some deep psychological issue that needs resolved because she loves and accepts herself. I suggested that the alternative, being full of self loathing, isn't exactly healthy from a mental health prospective.
    Does anybody actually have a degree in psychology? I have one in behavioral science.....which is a branch of psychology that focuses on behaviors

I am married to somebody that holds several advanced degrees in psychology and professional therapeutic techniques.

My wife has a degree in comp sci, but that doesn't mean I know anything about Fortran.

True enough, but let's not pretend like we don't have extensive conversation about these things.

Exposure to =/= knowledge of...

...but whatever you do, don't backtrack or acknowledge you misspoke or overstated something...

...double down and press on...

... because you're on quite a roll today.

:flowerforyou:

Why am I backtracking? Living with a mental health professional, particularly one that teaches, is like being in class. And I am particularly proud of my "work" today.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    They are saying "go OP" because she's making what sounds like healthy, sustainable changes to take charge of her health without focusing on vanity reasons -- why the need to point out the risks of obesity she's probably aware of? That's my point.
    I do believe she is on the right track, making changes. I also believe most of the posters who encouraged her were more excited about her being happy with being severely overweight than they were with the changes she plans on doing.
    Again, is it wrong that she is happy with her body? NO, like I've said, it's awesome. Is it highly likely that it will affect her health in the future? Unfortunately, yes, it is. I pointed that out because I didn't want it to be lost in the sea of "way to go" responses.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe that SOME here have forgotten rule #1 of Zombieland...
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    that last messed up quoted post is impossible to requote. I'm not an expert about the health risks of being morbidly obese. I'm sure I can google up a study about it if people really disagree with the obvious.

If you're not an expert, you surely can't call someone else out for not being an expert. That's inane. Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy. The OP, herself, said that she noticed that she wasn't feeling the best. She came here to be HEALTHY but people automatically jumped on her case for being big. Where we diverge paths is the idea that big=unhealthy as well as the thought that one's happiness is dependent on their size. If she's happy being large, she has every right to be. Who says that she can't? Why is her size so important to you?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that anyone LIKES being morbidly obese. Surely there's a deeper issue going on that needs to be addressed

Yes, everyone needs a good dose of self loathing to be healthy. What's she thinking?

You make no sense. Instead of scrolling through the thread attempting to pick fights with every poster with whom you disagree, how about you find something better to do with your time?

Explain how I don't make sense?

Explain how you do... I'll wait.

You suggested she had some deep psychological issue that needs resolved because she loves and accepts herself. I suggested that the alternative, being full of self loathing, isn't exactly healthy from a mental health prospective.
    Does anybody actually have a degree in psychology? I have one in behavioral science.....which is a branch of psychology that focuses on behaviors

I am married to somebody that holds several advanced degrees in psychology and professional therapeutic techniques.

lol how does that make you an expert?

Doens't make me an expert, it means I have access to one.

Lol. "My husband told me."

Basically! Just a stupid woman that parrots what my husband says!

Or in this case, when you live with somebody who have advanced degrees and 15 years of experiences, you draw on it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    20635222.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    They are saying "go OP" because she's making what sounds like healthy, sustainable changes to take charge of her health without focusing on vanity reasons -- why the need to point out the risks of obesity she's probably aware of? That's my point.
    I do believe she is on the right track, making changes. I also believe most of the posters who encouraged her were more excited about her being happy with being severely overweight than they were with the changes she plans on doing.
    Again, is it wrong that she is happy with her body? NO, like I've said, it's awesome. Is it highly likely that it will affect her health in the future? Unfortunately, yes, it is. I pointed that out because I didn't want it to be lost in the sea of "way to go" responses.

I think they saw her confidence and recognize something they lack, that's all.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

I was going to type something about being fit enough to outrun any Zombie.... but then thought I'd look crazy. There is only so much room for crazy in this topic & it's all been used up :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I was going to type something about being fit enough to outrun any Zombie.... but then thought I'd look crazy. There is only so much room for crazy in this topic & it's all been used up :laugh:

I want it to roll over.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with this!
    My original post also told her to eat right, get active and exercise. I just loved her attitude!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

You can't assume they lack confidence.
  • jaxstraww
    jaxstraww Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why would somebody want to be heavy? I'm heavy and i'm doing everything in my power to change it. I hate being heavy. I don't understand why someone would want and enjoy being heavy and unhealthy.

Exactly.

No, not exactly. Is believing that you have intrinsic value, outside of your weight, really something you're arguing against? She obviously is experiencing some physical discomfort that is prompting her to make some changes. Why does she need to hate herself on top of that?

What is your game? No one is saying she can't feel good about herself but being morbidly obese is not a good thing. You're telling her its OK to be that heavy as long as you feel good about yourself. Horse****. She wants a healthier lifestyle but is fine staying fat. How the heck does that make any sense?

This is arguing for the lazy. If you want a healthier lifestyle that means in this example she needs to lose some poundage. If not then why bother with anything else. We already know she feels good/comfortable with her body.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

I don't think so hunny. Somehow I think it's more "what the hell. are you crazy? you enjoy being obese, unhealthy & unfit?" nothing to do with something anyone lacks...cause I'm kinda sure I don't lack confidence.... I gained way more when I lost weight. I was as shy as anything & hated attention before now. Now I thrive on ppl noticing me....it spurs me on more. Thing is, people notice me more cause I do look good & that shines through.... people looked at me different when fat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You can't assume they lack confidence.

Sure she can. She's got a default degree in psychology thanks to being married to a super shrink for 15 years. Seems legit.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Or in this case, when you live with somebody who have advanced degrees and 15 years of experiences, you draw on it.

So you asked your husband about this thread and he thinks that the OP has nothing to worry about, psychologically? That body dysmorphia doesn't work both ways? Or are you drawing on your own gleaned experience?

How do you think a medical professional would advise the OP? I can answer this for you, if you would like.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    that last messed up quoted post is impossible to requote. I'm not an expert about the health risks of being morbidly obese. I'm sure I can google up a study about it if people really disagree with the obvious.

If you're not an expert, you surely can't call someone else out for not being an expert. That's inane. Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy. The OP, herself, said that she noticed that she wasn't feeling the best. She came here to be HEALTHY but people automatically jumped on her case for being big. Where we diverge paths is the idea that big=unhealthy as well as the thought that one's happiness is dependent on their size. If she's happy being large, she has every right to be. Who says that she can't? Why is her size so important to you?

I'm not the one who claimed that being married to a professional makes me an expert in their field. Not sure what your point is there.

The OP stated that she wants to stay morbidly obese because she is happy with that. My point is that it isn't a healthy way to be and she should actually try and lose weight. I never claimed that ones happiness is dependent on their size. I don't believe that at all. I think that being happy is sort of an inate quality regardless of your situations in life and she's a happy person and good for her for that.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am actually kind of similar to OP. I am in the 170s and while I don't want to gain weight I do want to lose weight, but its not the end of the world if I don't. I am happy (GASP... i just shocked myself with that statement) I am happy and okay with my size. That doesn't mean I don't want to better myself through exercise and eating better. All that means is that I am confident in the way I look and people make chuckle at me but that's okay because I know who I am! I do understand where OP is coming from. If you knew my past you'd understand why I say this. Time out for putting ourselves down because we aren't the girls we envision ourselves to be

Flower for you OP:flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Why would somebody want to be heavy? I'm heavy and i'm doing everything in my power to change it. I hate being heavy. I don't understand why someone would want and enjoy being heavy and unhealthy.

Exactly.

No, not exactly. Is believing that you have intrinsic value, outside of your weight, really something you're arguing against? She obviously is experiencing some physical discomfort that is prompting her to make some changes. Why does she need to hate herself on top of that?

What is your game? No one is saying she can't feel good about herself but being morbidly obese is not a good thing. You're telling her its OK to be that heavy as long as you feel good about yourself. Horse****. She wants a healthier lifestyle but is fine staying fat. How the heck does that make any sense?

This is arguing for the lazy. If you want a healthier lifestyle that means in this example she needs to lose some poundage. If not then why bother with anything else. We already know she feels good/comfortable with her body.

Being fat doesn't automatically make you unhealthy first of all, but I think the point was she wasn't striving to be thin.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

...Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy...

I think some have ~ this is from the thread 1st page, but I believe there were more comments like this: "You CAN be overweight or even obese and be healthy, fit, and take care of your body. Fitness is not one size fits all.".

Just sayin' :wink: