A fat girl who likes being fat?1?!?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    They are saying "go OP" because she's making what sounds like healthy, sustainable changes to take charge of her health without focusing on vanity reasons -- why the need to point out the risks of obesity she's probably aware of? That's my point.
    I do believe she is on the right track, making changes. I also believe most of the posters who encouraged her were more excited about her being happy with being severely overweight than they were with the changes she plans on doing.
    Again, is it wrong that she is happy with her body? NO, like I've said, it's awesome. Is it highly likely that it will affect her health in the future? Unfortunately, yes, it is. I pointed that out because I didn't want it to be lost in the sea of "way to go" responses.

I think they saw her confidence and recognize something they lack, that's all.

Is this your professional opinion?
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would like to see some peer reviewed studies that show overweight people are more unhealthy.
    Oh my god... woman,just stop pls.....You really are getting ridiculous...
    But meanwhile you can read through this...
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/health_risks.htm
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    that last messed up quoted post is impossible to requote. I'm not an expert about the health risks of being morbidly obese. I'm sure I can google up a study about it if people really disagree with the obvious.

If you're not an expert, you surely can't call someone else out for not being an expert. That's inane. Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy. The OP, herself, said that she noticed that she wasn't feeling the best. She came here to be HEALTHY but people automatically jumped on her case for being big. Where we diverge paths is the idea that big=unhealthy as well as the thought that one's happiness is dependent on their size. If she's happy being large, she has every right to be. Who says that she can't? Why is her size so important to you?

I'm not the one who claimed that being married to a professional makes me an expert in their field. Not sure what your point is there.

The OP stated that she wants to stay morbidly obese because she is happy with that. My point is that it isn't a healthy way to be and she should actually try and lose weight. I never claimed that ones happiness is dependent on their size. I don't believe that at all. I think that being happy is sort of an inate quality regardless of your situations in life and she's a happy person and good for her for that.

I didn't say it made me an expert, I said it gave me access to an expert. Just like you'd draw on google -- except my source is a person. She asked who had degrees, I was openly admitting I do not in that area.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think you are awesome, friend request sent!
  • whierd
    Options
    Why would somebody want to be heavy? I'm heavy and i'm doing everything in my power to change it. I hate being heavy. I don't understand why someone would want and enjoy being heavy and unhealthy.

Exactly.

No, not exactly. Is believing that you have intrinsic value, outside of your weight, really something you're arguing against? She obviously is experiencing some physical discomfort that is prompting her to make some changes. Why does she need to hate herself on top of that?

What is your game? No one is saying she can't feel good about herself but being morbidly obese is not a good thing. You're telling her its OK to be that heavy as long as you feel good about yourself. Horse****. She wants a healthier lifestyle but is fine staying fat. How the heck does that make any sense?

This is arguing for the lazy. If you want a healthier lifestyle that means in this example she needs to lose some poundage. If not then why bother with anything else. We already know she feels good/comfortable with her body.

Being fat doesn't automatically make you unhealthy first of all, but I think the point was she wasn't striving to be thin.

Being 200lbs overweight puts you into multiple high risk categories. And, from what I gathered, she doesn't want to change her weight at all, much less be thin. Dropping a 100lbs wouldn't make her thin, but it would do wonders for her overall health and quality of life for years to come.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    that last messed up quoted post is impossible to requote. I'm not an expert about the health risks of being morbidly obese. I'm sure I can google up a study about it if people really disagree with the obvious.

If you're not an expert, you surely can't call someone else out for not being an expert. That's inane. Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy. The OP, herself, said that she noticed that she wasn't feeling the best. She came here to be HEALTHY but people automatically jumped on her case for being big. Where we diverge paths is the idea that big=unhealthy as well as the thought that one's happiness is dependent on their size. If she's happy being large, she has every right to be. Who says that she can't? Why is her size so important to you?

I'm not the one who claimed that being married to a professional makes me an expert in their field. Not sure what your point is there.

The OP stated that she wants to stay morbidly obese because she is happy with that. My point is that it isn't a healthy way to be and she should actually try and lose weight. I never claimed that ones happiness is dependent on their size. I don't believe that at all. I think that being happy is sort of an inate quality regardless of your situations in life and she's a happy person and good for her for that.

I never said that I was married to a professional. I have my bachelors in behavioral science & am applying to get my masters in Clinical Mental Health or some related topic. I think you have me & another poster confused. Perhaps that's why you have all of this negative energy focused on me?

Well, if you don't condone happiness being dependent on size then I see no reason to needlessly banter with you. I hate bullying esp on people that are looking for help. She clearly said she wanted to be healthier, she just wasn't trying to be vain or doing it to look a certain way. I could care less if she wanted to lose weight. If she eats healthy and exercises she WILL lose weight. So does it matter HOW she wrote her post? Instead, lets give her advice on how to be healthy. Ultimately everyone will be happy. Painfully optimistic people will see her succeed, and people that hate that she's fat will see that she's losing lmfao.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I would like to see some peer reviewed studies that show overweight people are more unhealthy.

She clarified and said morbidly obese, not just over weight.
  • ubkz_2
    ubkz_2 Posts: 16
    Options

Oh no don't stop I am having a good time just hitting refresh and seeing the next great comment LOL
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Why would somebody want to be heavy? I'm heavy and i'm doing everything in my power to change it. I hate being heavy. I don't understand why someone would want and enjoy being heavy and unhealthy.

Exactly.

No, not exactly. Is believing that you have intrinsic value, outside of your weight, really something you're arguing against? She obviously is experiencing some physical discomfort that is prompting her to make some changes. Why does she need to hate herself on top of that?

What is your game? No one is saying she can't feel good about herself but being morbidly obese is not a good thing. You're telling her its OK to be that heavy as long as you feel good about yourself. Horse****. She wants a healthier lifestyle but is fine staying fat. How the heck does that make any sense?

This is arguing for the lazy. If you want a healthier lifestyle that means in this example she needs to lose some poundage. If not then why bother with anything else. We already know she feels good/comfortable with her body.

Being fat doesn't automatically make you unhealthy first of all, but I think the point was she wasn't striving to be thin.

Being 200lbs overweight puts you into multiple high risk categories. And, from what I gathered, she doesn't want to change her weight at all, much less be thin. Dropping a 100lbs wouldn't make her thin, but it would do wonders for her overall health and quality of life for years to come.

Her ticker is set to lose 180 pounds, I am GUESSING she might be more ok with the idea.
  • whierd
    Options

I didn't say it made me an expert, I said it gave me access to an expert. Just like you'd draw on google -- except my source is a person. She asked who had degrees, I was openly admitting I do not in that area.

So, did you actually ask your husband? Or basing this on what you believe to be correct? Because your opinion is about as valid as anyone else's who has ever watched a news special or read an article on obesity/body dysmorphia.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I support the OP's efforts to raise awareness of the obsessive calorie counters out there who are perfectly happy being fat and have no desire to lose weight.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Oh no don't stop I am having a good time just hitting refresh and seeing the next great comment LOL

Me quit? Not until it rolls over.

Look people, I wholeheartedly believe in health at every size -- some of you I will genuinely converse with, others... well, I am having some funsies with you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Look people, I wholeheartedly believe in health at every size -- some of you I will genuinely converse with, others... well, I am having some funsies with you.

In my unprofessional opinion, your behavior on this thread is borderline trolling.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

But....don't you think the risks are intensified being morbidly obese, opposed to just simply overweight?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

So, did you actually ask your husband? Or basing this on what you believe to be correct? Because your opinion is about as valid as anyone else's who has ever watched a news special or read an article on obesity/body dysmorphia.

I did ask, actually. We talk, a lot.
  • whierd
    Options
    And he thinks that everyone else is just jealous of her confidence?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If you are going to troll, it would be a good idea that you don't admit to it. Friendly advice.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

But....don't you think the risks are intensified being morbidly obese, opposed to just simply overweight?

I was saying there isn't a whole lot of science for overweight people. For morbidly obese people more studies exist, she clarified that she meant morbidly obese and that satisfied me.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

If you are going to troll, it would be a good idea that you don't admit to it. Friendly advice.

We're friends now?

I wasn't trolling, I just engaged with people who engaged me when I normally wouldn't. You can probably look over all my posts, I don't really troll people.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I was saying there isn't a whole lot of science for overweight people. For morbidly obese people more studies exist, she clarified that she meant morbidly obese and that satisfied me.

You are nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake.