A fat girl who likes being fat?1?!?

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few of your posts now and I think you're great. :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I think I need to stop reading the replies to this thread... it's making me very frustrated.

You CAN be overweight or even obese and be healthy, fit, and take care of your body. Fitness is not one size fits all. And even if you don't agree with that, it's not your place to come to someone's post looking for motivation and reply with a bunch of negativity. Just move it along.

If you are 200 pounds overweight and overeating that much, that is the definition to me of not taking care of your body. If you are still healthy, then it's just luck.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Its not about being comfortable being fat...Its more about trying to stay alive and not die from diabetes or heart disease. You can feel good about yourself but saying your comfortable being obese and fine with it is frankly a fall back on being lazy.

Trolling or not this site is about motivation and losing or maintaining your fitness goals. Dropping by with "I'm fat and proud" is not something any of us care about. Find a site about being fat, exchange some recipes and sit back and wait to die prematurely. That is the site you're looking for.

I feel like you didn't actually even read my post. Weight loss and better fitness are actually not interchangeable terms, but that's not a can of worms I intend to open in this thread. But more importantly, frankly I'm offended that you think I'm trolling just because I'm happy being fat. As you said, this site is about motivation. And that's what I'm looking for. Motivation to help me feel better physically. If you don't intend to help with that, there probably wasn't a point in replying.

Obesity and poor health are strongly correlated, there is little chance that you will be able to maintain your obese status and not have serious health problems down the road. This is not about psychology or you being ok with yourself, it is about health. Anyone who advises you that it is ok (from a health perspective) to be obese is wrong and you should seek other counsel.
    Mental health is an extremely important aspect of someone's overall health. And honestly, I'd take diabetes and self-esteem over perfect blood-work and self-loathing.

That last sentence,all of that could change when you get older.I didn't have high blood pressure until I was 38 and I was only 40 pounds overweight.In the long run,you CANNOT be obese and healthy.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm honored and humbled by the people who are coming to my defense in this thread, thank you so much!

That being said, it's important to remember that most people live by the fat=unhealthy misinformation they've had pumped into their head by media all their life. It's not their fault, not entirely anyway. And especially on a site like this, it mostly exacerbates that belief. I'm secure in myself both physically and mentally, and I've got years of research about the so-called 'obesity epidemic' under my belt, so I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, because no one's going to change mine!

If nothing else this has made me realize I should definitely put a link to my blog in my profile :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I think I need to stop reading the replies to this thread... it's making me very frustrated.

You CAN be overweight or even obese and be healthy, fit, and take care of your body. Fitness is not one size fits all. And even if you don't agree with that, it's not your place to come to someone's post looking for motivation and reply with a bunch of negativity. Just move it along.

If you are 200 pounds overweight and overeating that much, that is the definition to me of not taking care of your body. If you are still healthy, then it's just luck.
    why do you even bother replying? she's looking for support, you do not support her goals....therefore, no need to reply, right?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Notice, this site is called "My Fitness Pal" not "My Weight Loss Pal." It is good you love yourself and even better if your identity is not tied up in tall or short, skinny or fat. In pursuing health, your body shape will probably change. Health and fitness are the aim.

Carrying around an extra 130 or so pounds like I do is not enabling my health and fitness. Therefore, I am watching how much I eat, increasing my physical activity, and striving to gain health through weight loss and strength. I frankly don't give much of a rats *kitten* what I look like when all is said and done. I just want to feel good and move easily. Of course, I'm 62.

There were times in my younger years I felt as you do. "If you don't like me fat, well, aren't you shallow?" was my attitude. But it wasn't and isn't healthy and my body let me know that. Eventually, my choice was to continue to enjoy eating to my heart's content while lolling in my chair and dying young OR change my eating and exercise habits and live to a ripe old age. You know what I have chosen. I want to live as many years a happy retiree as "they" made me work for a living.

You get a similar choice now. Health or not health. Long life or early death. Freedom and mobility or being increasingly trapped by an enormous bag of fat tied about the middle.

What you will find on this site is all variety of folks pursuing health. For some that means weight loss. For others it means muscle building. For you? Well, we don't know what it means for you. Only you can decide that. And you are likely to find folks here who can support you reaching your goals, whatever they may be, as long as they are healthy ones.
  • ctrussell3
    ctrussell3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good for you for being who you are. I think it is great that you are taking steps to be healthier... Just be prepared--you probably will lose weight with your new activity! Good luck and I hope you achieve what you want!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's your body and your life. If you are happy and comfortable with yourself, that's more than many people can say, no matter what they weigh.

I just like to see happy people. Their physical appearance is irrelevant.
  • lizcr13
    lizcr13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's great to see more body positivity in the community! Sometimes I feel like My Fitness Pal is more My Weight loss Pal. Size and numbers don't determine health! I think it's great for people on a weight loss journey, but it's sad how some people can be very judgmental. Sometimes I want to just point out to people that when you join, right off the bat you choose what you want MFP to help you with, weight loss, weight gain, and maintaining. There is 3 options, not just 1!
    I really like MFP I just wish there was more support for people with different goals. I love how you said "My goal is simply feeling better"
    It's really disheartening to see people looking for support or advice and get criticized for how they eat or their life style. I've even seen people saying they delete friends based on what they see in their food diary. Anybody should be able to use MFP for whatever their own goals are as long as it is positive.

Best of luck to you!
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    If YOU are happy with your weight, then that is fine. However, just know that if you make certain changes in diet or activity you may lose the body shape you prefer. I think that when you make good changes to your lifestyle and you do feel a good difference in your health, that is truly the greatest reward. It is possible to be Fit and fat. I don't know if you have regular physicals or not, but I am sure your doctor will let you know if your blood sugar looks like it's going into a bad area, or your blood pressure, or cholesterol. I hope you acheieve what ever it is you set out to do here. May the force be with you.

Thanks doll! The great thing about being so heavily into body acceptance is that no matter what my body looks like, I will ALWAYS adore it, because my body is a part of me and it deserves my love no matter what. I work in health, so I already know I have excellent blood sugar and blood pressure (which surprises many people, but what can you do?) I just want to work on my strength and my stamina and improve my energy level. Especially now that summer's coming! :)

Thanks for the support, and for the Star Wars nod :)

that's great that your levels are all healthy. for now. you look younger in your picture so i imagine some time down the road, that may not be the case anymore.
    and i hope you don't plan on wearing a bikini this summer
    good luck though with whatever your goals are

What's that about not wearing a bikini?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309968_10151417782962043_1874367661_n.jpg

Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities :(
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck with your fitness and health goals!!

Amy
  • peachfigs
    Options

Same here, I'm avoiding reading the replies because I know there will be a lot of ignorance.
  • lizcr13
    lizcr13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Notice, this site is called "My Fitness Pal" not "My Weight Loss Pal."

Just saw you posted this after I finished typing mine. Thought the exact same thing!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The fact that you don't have a dysmorphic view of yourself is very important! The fact that you love yourself only makes losing weight easier. However, being overweight is NOT physically healthy. Nature has not intended us to be overweight. You risk heart and coronary artery disease, diabetes, stroke, and other maladies. I cannot emphasize the health risks enough! On March 14th of this year I had one week to normalize my blood sugar or go on Metformin. I was also one week away from blood pressure medicine and statin drugs. My cholesterol was a whopping total of 300. That is not a healthy way to live. I'm thankful for the weight management program that I am on through the University of Pennsylvania and the wonderful folks here on MFP.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm honored and humbled by the people who are coming to my defense in this thread, thank you so much!

That being said, it's important to remember that most people live by the fat=unhealthy misinformation they've had pumped into their head by media all their life. It's not their fault, not entirely anyway. And especially on a site like this, it mostly exacerbates that belief. I'm secure in myself both physically and mentally, and I've got years of research about the so-called 'obesity epidemic' under my belt, so I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, because no one's going to change mine!

If nothing else this has made me realize I should definitely put a link to my blog in my profile :)
    There were several posts that I really wanted to comment on, but I won't because I don't want to derail your post even more and clearly you are confident with yourself and goals so there is no need :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Its not about being comfortable being fat...Its more about trying to stay alive and not die from diabetes or heart disease. You can feel good about yourself but saying your comfortable being obese and fine with it is frankly a fall back on being lazy.

Trolling or not this site is about motivation and losing or maintaining your fitness goals. Dropping by with "I'm fat and proud" is not something any of us care about. Find a site about being fat, exchange some recipes and sit back and wait to die prematurely. That is the site you're looking for.

This.
  • peachfigs
    Options

There were several posts that I really wanted to comment on, but I won't because I don't want to derail your post even more and clearly you are confident with yourself and goals so there is no need :)

OP is a breath of fresh air! :smile:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    There was a study on sumo wrestlers that showed that they were fitter and healthier than people within the normal BMI range that did little exercise. It is possible to be big and healthy if that is your goal. I would suggest that exercise will be just as important to you as what you eat.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    If you are happy that is great. I love myself I know I am beautiful, but feeling out of breath hinders my lifestyle. Not being able to be on top hurts my sex life. Not being able to polish my toe nails annoy me. So I am getting fit and losing weight. Now the pretty girl is getting an even sexier body and I can't be stopped. Try it it's awesome.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ok this is a difficult one for me because I used to feel comfortable in my own skin even when I was morbidly obese. My blood pressure was fine, I didn't have diabetes......then one day as I was lifting my stomach up in the shower to clean under it because I had yet another infection the realisation hit me. I saw my doc and asked for a referral for surgery. The surgeon who first saw me gave me 5 to 10 years to live if I caried on as I was and he knew my lack of health issues at that time.

Well it was like a slap in the face. I then became more aware of how physically ill I was getting. I snored so badly it was affecting my relationship. I had to sleep in the spare room so I didn't keep my oh awake all night. I hurt just walking to the bus stop at the end of a working day and my mum has arthritus so I knew what could be heading my way. I had a meeting at work due to my absences because I was just generally in such bad health even though my diet was not bad and I walked everywhere. The fact was I ate too much for me and I was slowly killing myself.

My point is that yes be confident in your body but don't kid yourself that being morbidly obese can be healthy. Please try to take an objective look at your life right now and how the weight is putting pressure on your body. I am sorry to say this but writing a blog about being positive about your body shape and I am guessing about how the obesity crisis is not real will not exactly be a good memorial if you end up immobile or die young. I am hating writing this but I have to.