Pizza is not a "bad" food.

Options

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    its alsoo a source of fat and grease and caleries

I'm just going to disregard this comment altogether because of the lack of proper grammar and spelling.

:flowerforyou:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes pizza is a bad food-

Pizza causes risk factors like heart disease and high cholesterol.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    yes pizza is a bad food-

Pizza causes risk factors like heart disease and high cholesterol.

Yep. Just pizza alone causes heart disease and high cholesterol.

Totally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    right ..one medium pizza from Domino's is like 2000 calories...that is some peoples intake for a day ...

if you make it yourself then that is different ..

but to go pizza has an insane amount of calories in it...

I'm from New Jersey. Domino's isn't real pizza. Local places or homemade is what I'm referring to.
    most to go places have an insane amount of calories in them ...everyone once in a while is fine ..hell, I love pizza....but make it a once a week thing and me thinks you will be blowing out your calories and macros...

I can fit pizza into my cals/macros for a day just fine.

Yep. It's not as hard as people make it seem.

are we talking once slice or a whole pizza?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone on here and IRL say that pizza is unhealthy. Pizza is a source of carbohydrates, calcium, protein, and veggies (especially if you top it with them). As long as you aren't ordering a bunch of unhealthy toppings like pepperoni, it's actually quite healthy. So next time you think to yourself, "Oh, I can't have that," think again. Granted there are better choices out there, but pizza is definitely not the worst.

I think almost anything is fine in moderation, even pizza with my favorite toppings: pepperoni and extra cheese!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Making Healthier Pizza at Home

Want to enjoy a delicious pizza and really make it a healthy treat? Then make it at home. Here’s a healthy dough recipe that’s tried and true!

• 2 Cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp honey
    • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    • 1 1/3 cup of warm water (110-120 degrees F.)

(depending on the humidity of your home, you may need to adjust your flour/water amount slightly as you mix the dough)
    Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients together, place yeast in last.
    2. Add olive oil to water and warm in microwave to temperature (10-15 second increments), stir in honey
    3. Pour water, honey and oil mix into dry ingredients and begin mixing with a heavy spoon or kitchen-aid style mixer until dough comes together.
    4. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and continue to knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes, folding it back into itself repeatedly. After about 10 minutes the dough should become supple and smooth. If the dough is sticky, add small amount of flour during the kneading process.
    5. Fill microwave-safe bowl with hot water and microwave water in bowl for approximately 1-2 minutes depending on your power settings.
    6. Spray or coat a plate or flat dish with olive oil lightly, place dough on the dish and lightly cover the surface of the dough with oil. This prevents drying while it rises. Place the dough on the plate on top of the heated bowl of water in the microwave. DO NOT MICROWAVE YOUR DOUGH. Close the door on the microwave to trap the heat and moisture. This helps the dough rise more quickly and keeps the surface of the dough moist.
    7. Let the dough stand until it doubles in size. Remove and cut the dough in half. Form the two halves into tight balls and let them rise for around 45 minutes either covered in the open or back in the microwave.
    8. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out your dough with a rolling pin to desired size (larger makes for thinner crust). Drape the dough over your first and gently tug in opposite directions to pull the edges outward as you rotate the crust. Place the dough on a pizza pan, add sauce, your favorite topings, and a low-fat/skim milk mozzarella cheese. Bake for 12-18 minutes or until the crust is golden brown with the cheese melted evenly. Bake longer for a crispier crust. (bake time may vary depending on your oven).

If you do make a thin crust pizza, reduce the bake time by several minutes, as some pizza pan designs and cookie sheets will burn your crust on the bottom. You can minimize burnt crust risk by cross-stacking one or two cookie sheets under your pizza pan while you bake.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You should try Korean pizza. 2 weeks ago, I had a grilled chicken pizza with yogurt drizzle and sweet potato stuffed crust. Of course, you could always go for the traditional corn, french fries and mayo pizza.

The first one actually sounds really good.

I prefer mongolian pizza...
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    right ..one medium pizza from Domino's is like 2000 calories...that is some peoples intake for a day ...

I'm from New Jersey. Domino's isn't real pizza. Local places or homemade is what I'm referring to.
    most to go places have an insane amount of calories in them ...everyone once in a while is fine ..hell, I love pizza....but make it a once a week thing and me thinks you will be blowing out your calories and macros...

I can fit pizza into my cals/macros for a day just fine.

Yep. It's not as hard as people make it seem.

are we talking once slice or a whole pizza?

I was talking two or three slices.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Pizza is very good if you make it yourself. It's nice to get a slice of Pizza Hut now and then, but I can do without the grease.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Ice cream > Frozen Yogurt > Pizza > Chicken > Vegatables > > Cherry cough syrup > cow manure > Dr. Oz

Fixed it for you
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have owned a Pizza Restaurant for 18 years. I eat pizza! The crust is the biggest culprit so I just roll it out very thin so I don't use as much dough. The sauce has basically no calories (25 on a 7" pizza). I use vegetables and if I want meat, we use a 95% Fat Free Deli Ham that we shave very thin so I just put a few little pieces on for taste then a little cheese (we use part skim, real mozzarella. You can eat a 7" pizza for 350 calories or less (depending on toppings you choose) which isn't bad if that's your meal. Go to your hometown, Mom and Pop shops. We work harder to please our customers and make it the way they want it! We have a lot of people that will say "Roll very thin and double dock" or "Go very, very light on the cheese" and we fix it the way they ask. That's the best part of supporting the small guy instead of the "Chains".
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options

True but I don't think that anyone would think that eating a whole pizza in one sitting by yourself is healthy. One or two slices with some salad should okay for most people. Sodium is probably more of an issue from places like Domino's. So, making it yourself is a really good idea.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    BUT I LIKE DOMINO'S! :sad:

Nothing wrong with take-out pizza from anywhere. It's never the calories that make me not eat it; it's the sodium content. Thank gods for thin crust.
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes! Thank you! I mean yeah, if you eat en entire large pizza.... Of course it's "bad". I can have a slice or two and stay under my calories (like today, for instance).

Hahaha... Domino's... I didn't think people still ate there :):bigsmile:
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have owned a Pizza Restaurant for 18 years. I eat pizza! The crust is the biggest culprit so I just roll it out very thin so I don't use as much dough. The sauce has basically no calories (25 on a 7" pizza). I use vegetables and if I want meat, we use a 95% Fat Free Deli Ham that we shave very thin so I just put a few little pieces on for taste then a little cheese (we use part skim, real mozzarella. You can eat a 7" pizza for 350 calories or less (depending on toppings you choose) which isn't bad if that's your meal. Go to your hometown, Mom and Pop shops. We work harder to please our customers and make it the way they want it! We have a lot of people that will say "Roll very thin and double dock" or "Go very, very light on the cheese" and we fix it the way they ask. That's the best part of supporting the small guy instead of the "Chains".

Good suggestions!
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Let me clean this up for you so people understand it better.

Pizza is full of saturated fats, hydrogenated oils and salt that will cause many people to have atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. It will also cause. congestive heart failure, strokes, pulmonary problems and kidney failure.

It's like any marginally nutritious processed food... yummy but not the best choice. I rather eat my unhealthy treat for the week as a huge slice of chocolate cake. If you chose to make yours pizza that's ok.
  • ndj1979
    Options

double dock? is that like a double dutch rudder?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people struggle with moderation when it comes to pizza and THAT is the problem for many of us... back in the day, I could eat half a large pizza.... if I wanted to stuff myself I could toss down a few slices more, but half a large would have had me feeling satisfied.

I actually feel really relieved that I have developed a wheat intolerance... I don't have to worry about ever trying to eat pizza in moderation because I have to steer clear of it completely now anyway.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    BUT I LIKE DOMINO'S! :sad:

Nothing wrong with take-out pizza from anywhere. It's never the calories that make me not eat it; it's the sodium content. Thank gods for thin crust.

I can crush a medium pizza by myself..I am sick like that ....
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Let me clean this up for you so people understand it better.

Pizza is full of saturated fats, hydrogenated oils and salt that will cause many people to have atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. It will also cause. congestive heart failure, strokes, pulmonary problems and kidney failure.

It's like any marginally nutritious processed food... yummy but not the best choice. I rather eat my unhealthy treat for the week as a huge slice of chocolate cake. If you chose to make yours pizza that's ok.

WHO puts hydrogenated oils in pizza???? I worked in a mom and pop pizza place and I assure you they did not use any hydrogenated oils in their pizza.