Pizza is not a "bad" food.

Options

Replies

• MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    We have an Italian place called "Frank's" just down the street and their pizza is amazing. I always get the same thing: Thin crust with light garlic and olive oil, freshly crumbled feta cheese, basil (leaves, the fresh leaves,) and chopped ham. Oh it's soooo good. It's not like I eat the whole pizza. One medium can last me three days. XD
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    its alsoo a source of fat and grease and caleries

Let me clean this up for you so people understand it better.

Pizza is full of saturated fats, hydrogenated oils and salt that will cause many people to have atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. It will also cause. congestive heart failure, strokes, pulmonary problems and kidney failure.

It's like any marginally nutritious processed food... yummy but not the best choice. I rather eat my unhealthy treat for the week as a huge slice of chocolate cake. If you chose to make yours pizza that's ok.

If you eat junk pizza, then maybe. But pizza alone is not going to cause all those issues. A overall unhealthy diet will.

Considering I made homemade pizza with a whole wheat thin crust, fresh tomato sauce, lots of vegetables, fresh mozzarella, and fresh feta I think it was pretty decent.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have owned a Pizza Restaurant for 18 years. I eat pizza! The crust is the biggest culprit so I just roll it out very thin so I don't use as much dough. The sauce has basically no calories (25 on a 7" pizza). I use vegetables and if I want meat, we use a 95% Fat Free Deli Ham that we shave very thin so I just put a few little pieces on for taste then a little cheese (we use part skim, real mozzarella. You can eat a 7" pizza for 350 calories or less (depending on toppings you choose) which isn't bad if that's your meal. Go to your hometown, Mom and Pop shops. We work harder to please our customers and make it the way they want it! We have a lot of people that will say "Roll very thin and double dock" or "Go very, very light on the cheese" and we fix it the way they ask. That's the best part of supporting the small guy instead of the "Chains".

double dock? is that like a double dutch rudder?

LOL Sorry for the "Pizza Maker Lingo" A Dough Docker is a roller with teeth that you run over the dough after you roll it out to keep the crust from bubbling up in the oven when it starts baking. "Double Docking" helps make the crust thinner and crispier. :)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone on here and IRL say that pizza is unhealthy. Pizza is a source of carbohydrates, calcium, protein, and veggies (especially if you top it with them). As long as you aren't ordering a bunch of unhealthy toppings like pepperoni, it's actually quite healthy. So next time you think to yourself, "Oh, I can't have that," think again. Granted there are better choices out there, but pizza is definitely not the worst.

TMNTPizza.jpg?9d7bd4
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Thin crust, no sauce, first layer fresh sliced tomatoes, second layer fresh mozzarella cheese, basil leaves. grilled chicken, fresh mushrooms - baked to perfection. My kind of pizza and so good made at home. Very nutrient dense, vs. crappy delivery pizza. I don't actually care that much for tomato sauce, (at least not the kind of delivery pizzas) but love fresh sliced tomatoes.
  • baozytools12
    Options
    Well that escalated quickly.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Pizza stabbed my brother. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bad food.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like Pizza!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Pizza stabbed my brother. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bad food.

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that! I can't believe how insensitive I was! :flowerforyou:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm in New Jersey too...I think some aren't understanding that certain places here make it just like home made , of coarse there is a ton of better choices and I can't even remember the last time I actually went out and got a pizza , (im counting calories so i cook at home to be sure im within my limits for now ) but yes here in jersey there's a lot of places that make it differently then what Pizza Hut, dominos , etc does.....
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Pizza can be healthy if you make it yourself. Especially if you go with St. Louis style super thin cracker-like crust.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have owned a Pizza Restaurant for 18 years. I eat pizza! The crust is the biggest culprit so I just roll it out very thin so I don't use as much dough. The sauce has basically no calories (25 on a 7" pizza). I use vegetables and if I want meat, we use a 95% Fat Free Deli Ham that we shave very thin so I just put a few little pieces on for taste then a little cheese (we use part skim, real mozzarella. You can eat a 7" pizza for 350 calories or less (depending on toppings you choose) which isn't bad if that's your meal. Go to your hometown, Mom and Pop shops. We work harder to please our customers and make it the way they want it! We have a lot of people that will say "Roll very thin and double dock" or "Go very, very light on the cheese" and we fix it the way they ask. That's the best part of supporting the small guy instead of the "Chains".

I like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, I grew up on the east coast (in the states). I don't eat crappy pizza from chain stores (yuck). Just good pizza. Around here that usually means at real Italian restaurants.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC and LOVE pizza. I don't eat it every day because I don't LOVE being fat. If I want to treat myself pizza would be a number one choice.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you check my diary you will see that last Sunday I went to Cici's and didn't go over my calories. All of their calorie information is on the web and I log religiously, I have made it a game now, I have a coupon for a buffet for 3.99 and I go once a week (every other week is a cheat day) and try different combinations of pizza while staying within my calorie amounts. I have to say, that Italiano pizza that they are making now is amazing. I love that stuff, and the bread sticks. Those are awesome as well.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently bad. Especially NOT pizza.

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg
  • magerum
    Options
    Ice cream > Frozen Yogurt > Pizza > Chicken > Vegatables > Dr. Oz > Cherry cough syrup

I can't really argue with that.
  • magerum
    Options
    yes pizza is a bad food-

Pizza causes risk factors like heart disease and high cholesterol.

Absolutely ridiculous.
  • Tabby1216
    Tabby1216 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Jeesh! People are acting like you are sitting down eating an extra large, extra cheese, bacon, hamburger, pepperoni, and sausage pizza by yourself in one sitting.

I usually make my own pizza using multi-grain or whole wheat tortillas for the crust. It is like thin crust pizza and the kids love making their own. It is around half the calories and tastes great! I have learned that completely cutting something out of my diet is not the way to go; if I want to eat something, I eat it. M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, live with the results. Don't blame others for your choices, don't depend on them for it either.

Why all the drama to defend your choices?