Catty Women

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You had me until "this is why I don't have female friends". Bleh :sick:

Ditto.

You're assuming all us women are like that..we're not.

I am a woman, so I know that we aren't all like that. I've just yet to encounter many that when presented with this type of scenario that don't make stupid comments. Maybe I don't have many female friends because they don't like it when I call them out on stuff instead.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of saying that this is why most of my friends are male too. Scientifically, prenatal hormone exposure affects one's way of coping with aggression. Females tend to engage in gossip, passive-aggressive-type mind games (caused by estrogen), etc, rather than physical violence (testosterone). Does that make it acceptable? Of course not. People need to stop taking their insecurities out on others and acting like ignorant *kitten*.

If they are aware of this how come they can't just think oops damn hormones. I must resist, I must resist, or is it un controlable?
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Yea, I have to agree.

While I have seen and in high school participated in said behavior, I have found girl friends who are amazing and I love my girl friends. I can't talk to men about my period or hormones hahaha

They're insecure and petty
    Good for you for speaking up though
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Only women who are insecure with themselves. Your office must be loaded with them. Sorry you have to deal with that!
  • aprilmaybee
    aprilmaybee Posts: 14
    Options
    Are all women catty? Pretty much the same thing as "are all black people lazy?" Not cool.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    I mean they referred to her as being a prostitute and everything else. I'm sitting there thinking that I couldn't imagine being this woman and feeling that kind of venom just for being pretty. I spoke up and said that I bet she's super nice and called them out on it, but they didn't care.

Enjoy posting your success thread on MFP and watching other women find any way they can to insinuate you faked your results or backhanded compliments about how you've made SOME progress.

That's not fair. 99% of the comments posted by women on those threads are kind and encouraging.

Absolutely true. My fault for remembering the nasty ones.
    The nasty ones sting, though. It's easy to remember them.

1 nasty comment can wipe out 10 good ones easily
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    She sounds hot.

Women get judgy especially when they feel insecure or threatened. I think it takes a lot of training to get out of the habit of putting someone down. It did for me. I probably would've thought those things awhile ago, too.

It's hard to appreciate someone's beauty when you don't appreciate your own. Those women sound like insecure teenagers.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    No, not all women are like this. I am not like that, and neither are my close female friends. Like Carlton, I was like that before I grew up and realized that there are a lot of great women in amongst the insecure ones. I have found many amazing and supportive women here on MFP and even *gasp* IRL!!

I hope you can become friends with some in real life, OP. It is really worth it.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    Are all women catty? Pretty much the same thing as "are all black people lazy?" Not cool.

Wow....really? Talk about escalating things :huh:
  • danasings
    Options
    This.

When I was younger I felt like that about female friends. Then, I grew up. I've had the same girlfriends since childhood. I've made new friends since then when I was in college (in my 30's). My friends are not catty. And I don't think it's fair to characterize all women as such. I've worked in a male-dominant field for years now, and allow me to tell you that the same amount of them do the same thing.

BRILLIANT. :flowerforyou:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    No, we're not. Only the insecure are. My personal motto is: “Compete with yourself. There is no reason to be jealous of anyone else. I say we congratulate and motivate, rather than hate.” ~ Bry Allen
    Options
    I mean they referred to her as being a prostitute and everything else. I'm sitting there thinking that I couldn't imagine being this woman and feeling that kind of venom just for being pretty. I spoke up and said that I bet she's super nice and called them out on it, but they didn't care.

Enjoy posting your success thread on MFP and watching other women find any way they can to insinuate you faked your results or backhanded compliments about how you've made SOME progress.

That's not fair. 99% of the comments posted by women on those threads are kind and encouraging.

^^ THIS
    Options

:noway: that didn't come out as racist at all......
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    A lot of women are catty, just like a lot of men are douchey. It is too bad those certain people give the rest of their gender a bad rap. I would say that I have never had a lot of female friends, I've been selective, and in general as people we tend to migrate toward those that have similar humor, or values, or tendencies as ourselves, so it is no wonder that there can be large groups of catty women together, or large groups of non catty women together. We cannot avoid each other, but we can avoid generalizations of an entire gender :wink:
  • danasings
    Options

:noway: that didn't come out as racist at all......

IKR?!?! Wow, just...wow. Did you think about how that would come across before you wrote it?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I normally don't get along well with women either, in fact I've been this was since I was a kid because I find them to be devisive. Men are cut and dry. They may get mad about something, but it blows over pretty quick.

Women remember crap forever.

THIS is why I work in a warehouse with men.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I work in an office that is only women. Today on the lawn they are holding a ceremony to honor fallen officers, so there are a lot of police officers outside getting ready. Most of us are hanging at the window drooling over the eye candy because, well, who doesn't love a man in uniform? Anyways, one of the officer's wife walks up with their son and she is drop dead gorgeous. All of the women start making comments. "Oh, my god! Look at her hair! It has to be bleached." "Her boobs are too big for her body. They are fake." And on and on. I mean they referred to her as being a prostitute and everything else. I'm sitting there thinking that I couldn't imagine being this woman and feeling that kind of venom just for being pretty. I spoke up and said that I bet she's super nice and called them out on it, but they didn't care. This is why I don't have many female friends. Are all women so catty?

I find that it's not just women, most people who are insecure lash out at others this way. Men are just as guilty of making inappropriate comments, just of a different nature. The most important thing you did was mention how inappropriate their comments were, but you can't help other people when they let their *kitten* hang out just make them realize what their doing by pantsing them.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I agree..... Women are very catty.... Same reason I don't have many girl friends.... Since I've lost so much weight I get a lot of cattiness... Strange how before everyone wanted me to lose weight and now I get comments about losing to much weight.... From the same women who encouraged me originally....

I can totally relate to this from my personal experience. I've learned to just say screw it, your opinion means very little to me. I've had them tell me to eat something...I probably eat more than they do..I just exercise and personally I think I look wonderful!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    the women i work with are fabulous. they can admire other women without being catty.

after reading this thread, i appreciate them all the more.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, my personal experience is that this sort of thing happens less as we get older. I turn 40 this summer and while many friends I had in my 20s were catty and ridiculous, I've actually watched a lot of them blossom into kind, supportive, happy women who are comfortable in their own skin. I have a few friends who are still backbiting and insecure but they're kept at arm's length and are definitely the exception, not the rule.