Catty Women

Options

Replies

• fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of saying that this is why most of my friends are male too. Scientifically, prenatal hormone exposure affects one's way of coping with aggression. Females tend to engage in gossip, passive-aggressive-type mind games (caused by estrogen), etc, rather than physical violence (testosterone). Does that make it acceptable? Of course not. People need to stop taking their insecurities out on others and acting like ignorant *kitten*.

If they are aware of this how come they can't just think oops damn hormones. I must resist, I must resist, or is it un controlable?

It's definitely controllable. That's where having a brain/not being a cretin comes to play. But it's the prenatal hormones which account for the differences in type of aggression between males and females. Like sure, as a female, I'd sooner resort to verbal aggression than physical aggression, but it's (common) sense that would stop me (and anyone else for that matter) from engaging in that type of behaviour.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, all women are not like that. I'm not like that. I'm a dancer and I dance with women and they are lovely, kind, supportive, and they act like full grown adults.

There is some other factor that is resulting in those women behaving that way. We need more information. Where do you work, where do you live, are they alcoholics, are they working a dead end job, are they living an unhappy life. See, there are more factors to why someone behaves as they do and not just that they are women. And you could choose any of those or any other factor to place them all into a box (not that you should do that).
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    the women i work with are fabulous. they can admire other women without being catty.

after reading this thread, i appreciate them all the more.

You are very fortunate. I really do like these women. Most of the time they are very caring and supportive of each other. It's just when it comes to other women their brains melt and crap runs out of their mouths. It's a very strange phenomenon.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, my personal experience is that this sort of thing happens less as we get older. I turn 40 this summer and while many friends I had in my 20s were catty and ridiculous, I've actually watched a lot of them blossom into kind, supportive, happy women who are comfortable in their own skin. I have a few friends who are still backbiting and insecure but they're kept at arm's length and are definitely the exception, not the rule.

Unfortunately most of the women I work with are over 40. I am one of the younger people in the office and I'm 31.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    the women i work with are fabulous. they can admire other women without being catty.

after reading this thread, i appreciate them all the more.

You are very fortunate. I really do like these women. Most of the time they are very caring and supportive of each other. It's just when it comes to other women their brains melt and crap runs out of their mouths. It's a very strange phenomenon.

It is extremely absurd of you to conclude that all women behave the way the few women you work with do. You don't behave that way. Do you think you are the only women in the world that doesn't? I never encounter this.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Are all women catty? Pretty much the same thing as "are all black people lazy?" Not cool.

:noway: that didn't come out as racist at all......

IKR?!?! Wow, just...wow. Did you think about how that would come across before you wrote it?

It is not even remotely racist; she stated that generalizations and negative stereotypes are bad, hence the "not cool" part of of the sentence.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Women can be like that.

This is exactly why women should start lifting heavy weights. Heavy lifting increases testoterone and decrease 'cattiness'.

tumblr_meo9w7hrPq1rlxhd2o1_500_zpsb4ced6b8.gif
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I need my girl friends and would be absolutely lost without them. Choosing to not be friends with females because they're all catty or you feel you are above their behavior is kinda sad. You should really reconsider.

Yes, my guy friends are more chill and drama free, but lack the compassion that my girlfriends have. There are things that my girlfriends have done for me when I was in need, without me even having to ask, where as my guy friends were all clueless that anything was even the matter.

..also shoes. Men don't care about shoes.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I need my girl friends and would be absolutely lost without them. Choosing to not be friends with females because they're all catty or you feel you are above their behavior is kinda sad. You should really reconsider.

Yes, my guy friends are more chill and drama free, but lack the compassion that my girlfriends have. There are things that my girlfriends have done for me when I was in need, without me even having to ask, where as my guy friends were all clueless that anything was even the matter.

..also shoes. Men don't care about shoes.

all of that, but the shoes. I'm half Hawaiian, so if I could get away without wearing any, I'd be cool with that.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Gah! I hear ya! Guys can be catty too. I get venom for being pretty all the time. I usually comfort myself by buying shoes and making sweeping generalizations about others.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Did you take a picture of the blonde?

I considered it, but I'm pretty sure stalking an officer's wife in front of a hundred other officers may not be the smartest thing to do.

dont_look.png
  • bwalker0823
    bwalker0823 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree I think Men and Women can be equally catty-it's all in the person's personality. I cut these people out of my life and I don't associate myself with them. People who are like that are insecure and not happy with themselves or their lives so they have to tear down others.

I want positive-fun-enthusiastic-motivated people in my life. I work hard-play harder-and I want a happy/peaceful life-without cattiness and drama-save it for your momma....:)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep to myself. I don't have many friends and I actually prefer it that way, because it's less drama and hassle.

I had friends in college, and now that we are out of college and don't have things in common anymore, I see how catty and petty they are. In turn, they always wonder why I don't want to hang out with them..
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    . Are all women so catty?

Yes!

Catty-Women.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Enjoy posting your success thread on MFP and watching other women find any way they can to insinuate you faked your results or backhanded compliments about how you've made SOME progress.

I have not seen much of this. I think most of the posts I have seen on this site are fairly supportive and encouraging when it comes to success stories.

It's the controversial topics such as starvation, diets, lift or not, that get catty.
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    I was hoping this thread was about Catwoman. :grumble:

But no, not all women are catty. I for one, never say mean things about beautiful women. What's the point? The women you work with sound icky, and you should go find awesome chicks to hang out with.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRehVV2aF4ByYDzK5p5VERNa4M8hN9OsUGTrsHjrcu9eH8dtipQ
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    There was one time, when I was in my early 20's, that I worked a job in which the women (there were only women employees) were gossipy. But, that was because they were working a dead end job and were not going anywhere in their lives. I was able to understand that they did not represent all women. Especially because I am a women also. In fact, it never even crossed my mind to blame their behavior on their gender. They would make fun of people for being "too smart", so obviously they were feeling inferior to other people's accomplishments. It was a baby care center. So, they made fun of the successful parents. I worked at other early childhood education centers and the people working did not behave that way, so I also did not blame it on the job. I just know that those particular women were unhappy in their lives. I was unhappy working with them, so I got a different job.

I got another job. I did not write off half of the human race.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Are all women catty? Pretty much the same thing as "are all black people lazy?" Not cool.

Incredulity.jpg

Did you really just say that? Seriously?
  • luckygirl470
    Options
    I work for a company that is 95% men. When I started here, I was excited, because I thought I was getting the chance to work away form the female drama. Found out how wrong I was. Men can be just as catty as women!