Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options
I'd quite like to start running outside, but I'd have to go on busy roads with other people and cars. I'm scared that people are going to take the piss. I already get honked at by pervy old men and stuff randomly while walking sometimes. Ugh, it just creeps me out and makes me angry. Unless I wake up super early and go while not many people are around I don't see a way to avoid this... help!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    There will always be the chance of some random dudebro yelling at you, but the majority of people will not pay you even a little bit of attention. I have been distance running for nearly a decade and could count the number of 'memorable' incidents on one hand. If you want to run, just go run.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. People are jerks and it can make you feel really unsafe. Can you run with a friend? I've noticed that makes you less of a target for creepy cat-calling.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hey OP you're purty.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick to the sidewalk, not the side of the road. Safer.

Find a Trail, well used, no vehicle traffic.

Carry a soda can or a cup of coffee with cream, if you feel the need to protect yourself. Throw the cup at the windshield and run like h***!

A loud whistle would also work.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    awwwww too pretty to run.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! During the summer I've arranged to go jogging with a friend, so that should help. I guess I'm going to have to just get over it...
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just pretend you don't hear them and keep going. They should be embarrassed, not you.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

and what are you scared of? people taking a piss?

... taking THE piss.

It's creepy guys that are the problem....
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

and what are you scared of? people taking a piss?

... taking THE piss.

It's creepy guys that are the problem....

if that doesnt mean expelling urine from your body, then i have no idea what it does mean.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When I ran outside, I found a park that was mostly mothers and the elderly. Every other runner was too interested in their own workout to bother with me. Find someplace comfortable, stick in your headphones, and zone out for your run.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you need to perfect the ignore and dirty look when needed.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    It's a common phrase in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss
  • mongolianfireoil
    Options
    I'm confused. I would think it complementing when people whistle and love it when little teeny-bobbers hoot at me but I guess everyones different. I guess your gonna have to get a treadmill? Someone said run on sidewalks. Don't do that. It's killer on the joints. Run on trails, grass or peoples lawns if your in the city but avoid the pavement and cement.

My wife gets hooted at a lot and it doesn't seem to phaze her at all. She just throws it back at me when I mention I was lucky enough to get hooted at. She gets probably 4 times the hoots.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    <insert cat call here>
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ear buds?
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's a lot safer to run where it is busy like that, compared to a deserted field or footpath.

Where I live, there are lots of joggers, as I live between two parks and three gyms - I've never actually seen a single runner that has attracted any attention from anybody, really. And if they did, it would most likely be from a couple of blokes in a delivery van, rather than anything threatening.

I think chucking anything at the windscreen of a vehicle for someone who has only reverted back to being a silly schoolboy would be more likely to provoke a confrontation, which would be riskier than just continuing to run, though.

Seriously though - if some knobhead that thinks it's funny to shout 'Run, Forrest, Run!' is enough to make you feel scared - then I suggest you stick to the treadmill when there isn't anybody else to run with.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    I'm confused. I would think it complementing when people whistle and love it when little teeny-bobbers hoot at me but I guess everyones different. I guess your gonna have to get a treadmill? Someone said run on sidewalks. Don't do that. It's killer on the joints. Run on trails, grass or peoples lawns if your in the city but avoid the pavement and cement.

My wife gets hooted at a lot and it doesn't seem to phaze her at all. She just throws it back at me when I mention I was lucky enough to get hooted at. She gets probably 4 times the hoots.

Hmmm well I find it kind of degrading when old men think they have the right to shout something pervy at me from their vans...

Thanks for the tips though!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    maybe i don't get whistled at enough :( I think it's quite funny when it happens, and i just want to laugh and flip them the finger
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I run in daylight on busy roads with earbuds in. I crank the music loud enough so that when I don't care to be honked or howled at, I don't hear it.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment, you're obviously sexy as you are and you need to own it!
This discussion has been closed.