Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    exactly what I reserve my middle finger for... ;) but in all seriousness I just find it funny that they're whistling etc when I'm hot and sweaty and completely NOT attractive :P
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's a lot safer to run where it is busy like that, compared to a deserted field or footpath.

Where I live, there are lots of joggers, as I live between two parks and three gyms - I've never actually seen a single runner that has attracted any attention from anybody, really. And if they did, it would most likely be from a couple of blokes in a delivery van, rather than anything threatening.

I think chucking anything at the windscreen of a vehicle for someone who has only reverted back to being a silly schoolboy would be more likely to provoke a confrontation, which would be riskier than just continuing to run, though.

Seriously though - if some knobhead that thinks it's funny to shout 'Run, Forrest, Run!' is enough to make you feel scared - then I suggest you stick to the treadmill when there isn't anybody else to run with.

LOL hahaha the 'Run Forrest Run' bit made me laugh! I don't care about comments like that. But yeah, there's no way I'd have the guts to chuck anything at someone's car. I hate confrontation. I see what you mean about it being safer in busy areas. I think I'm just going to go for it and ignore it if it does happen. Thanks! :smile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ear buds?

This. With music coming out of them.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment, you're obviously sexy as you are and you need to own it!

Haha thanks for the positivity. I honestly only look about 15 though so it's kind of creepy. :laugh:
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    awwwww too pretty to run.

and what are you scared of? people taking a piss?

... taking THE piss.

It's creepy guys that are the problem....

if that doesnt mean expelling urine from your body, then i have no idea what it does mean.

It's British slang, dude.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hmmm well I find it kind of degrading when old men think they have the right to shout something pervy at me from their vans...

Thanks for the tips though!
    [/quote]

This van doesn't have "Free candy" spray painted on the sides does it? Oops my bad. Didn't know that was you. Sorry lol
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just pretend you don't hear them and keep going. They should be embarrassed, not you.

Either that, or use the frustration to fuel you. I live in a fairly ghetto area and have nasty old men honk and stare at me too. I just ignore it and keep truckin' along.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    exactly what I reserve my middle finger for... ;) but in all seriousness I just find it funny that they're whistling etc when I'm hot and sweaty and completely NOT attractive :P
    I don't mean this to sound pervy, but it always baffles me when women talk about a time when they're "completely NOT attractive" as if this is a thing that exists.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

... taking THE piss.

if that doesnt mean expelling urine from your body, then i have no idea what it does mean.

'Taking the piss'...How do you not know what that means?! I mean, okay it's not an American phrase but do you live in a cave with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed or do you just pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Pfft!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

g'day to you too, friend!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound pervy, but it always baffles me when women talk about a time when they're "completely NOT attractive" as if this is a thing that exists.

This. I personally think I'm at my hottest in my little running shorts, high ponytail, flushed cheeks and panting. :wink:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

It's "MATE". Get it right.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Put some headphones on.

If you spend you life worrying about what other people are doing and thinking, you will have just wasted a good life.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Whoa there! No one is asking to mate. Now you're the one being creepy. Slow down and get to know the guy first.

I run at 5:30 am and it's pretty rare for me to see much of anyone.
  • FranksRumHam
    Options

... taking THE piss.

'Taking the piss'...How do you not know what that means?! I mean, okay it's not an American phrase but do you live in a cave with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed or do you just pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Pfft!

its not considered a cave, per se, but it is dark...and damp.

oh i know the rest of the world exists, i guess i was busy practicing my spanish for the future instead of british slang. seems i wasnt au fait with that term. my apologies.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running outside several times a week for nearly a decade - I've never minded the occasional catcall. I just figure they like my legs - as they should. Is it really that big of a deal?

Last weekend my friend and I ran past a man pushing 80 ... he told us we were looking good and that the only reason he keeps running (shuffling) is that he likes to watch the pretty girls goes by. See? We're helping to keep him alive.
  • FranksRumHam
    Options

Whoa there! No one is asking to mate. Now you're the one being creepy. Slow down and get to know the guy first.

srsly, i hardly know ye!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    When I ran outside, I found a park that was mostly mothers and the elderly. Every other runner was too interested in their own workout to bother with me. Find someplace comfortable, stick in your headphones, and zone out for your run.

I'm not sure that choosing to be totally oblivious to one's surroundings is the way to go. lol

Don't live in fear, it sucks. Run, but be aware and be prepared.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Such a thing most certainly exists. I have race photos to prove it.

OP-it's far safer to run in busy, heavily trafficked areas.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.