Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm not American or British and I know it. And I'm not American and I still know American phrases.

Good for you. My point still stands.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Just give them a wave back when they honk show that it's not bothering you, I bet most people won't even notice that you out running in the first place ????
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    For all you making jokes and thinking it's no big deal, would it be OK with you if someone yelled racial slurs at people of color? Because for us, it's the same degrading thing. I don't mind hi or a wave or whatever, but some of the perverted stuff is really offensive. Just today I was running a runner's path, and when I came around a corner, there were 5 construction workers just standing there blocking the path. They thought it was funny, but I did not. When I made a move to go around, one of them moved in my path and laughed. That *kitten*'s not funny.

The fact that the OP looks very young makes it even more disgusting that dirty old men are cat calling her. It's downright gross. I got a lot of creepy calls when I was pregnant (speed walked then). Talk about turning your stomach.

OP you need to find a runner's trail and/or a better area. I think ignoring only goes so far. I wouldn't wait until one of those disgusting old perverts makes a move.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Most likely they are honking at "the runner" not you. Even my ugly mug gets the honks and occasional woots from the road. I do run on a trail that is beside a main road in my subdivision so I am constantly around cars. Just don't respond one way or the other. They keep driving.

You can get the same creepers in a park, in the woods, on a trail, in your own yard. They just don't have a loud horn in those places.

But yes, carry something should anything happen if you think you need to. And that doesn't mean if you are running just on a road, but anywhere, if you feel that you would not be able to take care of it should it happen.
  • laurimaki
    laurimaki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion...

women that get cat-called 9 out of 10 times are wearing something figure showing/slim-fitting. I'm just being honest here. Males are pervs...it's the same reason if you wear a shirt with your boobs hanging out, they're gonna look, I'm guilty myself from time to time.

41526192.png
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I would think it complementing when people whistle and love it when little teeny-bobbers hoot at me but I guess everyones different. I guess your gonna have to get a treadmill? Someone said run on sidewalks. Don't do that. It's killer on the joints. Run on trails, grass or peoples lawns if your in the city but avoid the pavement and cement.

My wife gets hooted at a lot and it doesn't seem to phaze her at all. She just throws it back at me when I mention I was lucky enough to get hooted at. She gets probably 4 times the hoots.

It depends who does it. If a 20 year old guy honk at me i feel flattered. The other week I had a group of guys drive by and honk at me and yelled out the window "nice *kitten*"! I felt so embarrassed.
    The truth is, I would like to run in piece. This is the reason I like to go to the gym. Everybody there minds there own business.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you considered driving to a nearby park or quieter area?
    My girlfriends & I drive 20 minutes twice a week to meet up with a running group at a park. It's a much nicer view than a busy road too!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'd quite like to start running outside, but I'd have to go on busy roads with other people and cars. I'm scared that people are going to take the piss. I already get honked at by pervy old men and stuff randomly while walking sometimes. Ugh, it just creeps me out and makes me angry. Unless I wake up super early and go while not many people are around I don't see a way to avoid this... help!

OMG get over yourself! Run and ignore it!

Why would I need to 'get over' myself...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I would think it complementing when people whistle and love it when little teeny-bobbers hoot at me but I guess everyones different. I guess your gonna have to get a treadmill? Someone said run on sidewalks. Don't do that. It's killer on the joints. Run on trails, grass or peoples lawns if your in the city but avoid the pavement and cement.

My wife gets hooted at a lot and it doesn't seem to phaze her at all. She just throws it back at me when I mention I was lucky enough to get hooted at. She gets probably 4 times the hoots.

Hmmm well I find it kind of degrading when old men think they have the right to shout something pervy at me from their vans...

Thanks for the tips though!

Exactly :huh:
    I started running last week, I live in a very quiet residential neighborhood. Runners aren't common except for the one hardcore guy I've been seeing for the last 5+ years. I don't know why folks feel the need to make comments, but it's a real pain in the *kitten*. I've got a big ol' pit bull that I'm going to have to teach to run alongside when the weather's not too hot.

I would've taken him when I first went but at 85#'s momentum kinda worries me :laugh:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk when it's dark (not too late) & I have my earphones in, now I know that isn't the best practice seeing as someone can sneak up behind you BUT....Touch wood, nothing has happened to me yet & I don't hear anyone yelling out or tooting. Even if I don't have my earphones in I think if they wanna be idiots & yell out stuff, let them! Does it do any harm to you? No....Don't let it stop you. AND don't look like an easy target. I always have my head up when I walk & look directly at someone as they go past. If they are in a car, pay attention to the rego if you feel unsafe etc. Jeepers, you can get pervs when you are walking down the street going to work, driving in your car, so does that mean you won't do any of these things out of fear someone may whistle or look at you?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    2 words. 2 bras.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You're the one who decided to click on this thread. If the topic frustrates you so much, why did you click on it?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You could balloon up to 300lbs they dont whistle at you anymore and you're pretty much safe to go down any dark alley you want. Fat is a great defensive armor. I went from a scared eleven year old (pervy old men whistling at a child :mad: ) to a confident old obese woman thanks to fat.
  • Kst76
    Options
    For all you making jokes and thinking it's no big deal, would it be OK with you if someone yelled racial slurs at people of color? Because for us, it's the same degrading thing. I don't mind hi or a wave or whatever, but some of the perverted stuff is really offensive. Just today I was running a runner's path, and when I came around a corner, there were 5 construction workers just standing there blocking the path. They thought it was funny, but I did not. When I made a move to go around, one of them moved in my path and laughed. That *kitten*'s not funny.

...its the same as making racial slurs at people of color? What planet do you live on?!? Seriously warped sense of reality!

Sounds to me she was being sexually harassed. If you think thats not a big deal then what planet are you from? A woman has the right to go jogging without being afraid for her safety.
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    You people live in weird places. Then again, I'm not a woman or a creep who yells at them. So I don't really know how common this is.
  • Kst76
    Options
    You people live in weird places. Then again, I'm not a woman or a creep who yells at them. So I don't really know how common this is.

Yes, Chicago is a weird place ;)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

...its the same as making racial slurs at people of color? What planet do you live on?!? Seriously warped sense of reality!

Sounds to me she was being sexually harassed. If you think thats not a big deal then what planet are you from? A woman has the right to go jogging without being afraid for her safety.

It can be very scary especially when you have cars pulling up to you. Like I said I remember being an 11 year old child! and having these disgusting perverts coming up to me. No wonder I started to hate walking when I was a teen who would want to walk when you can be accosted every time you set foot on the street. Makes me angry...grrrrrr.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You people live in weird places. Then again, I'm not a woman or a creep who yells at them. So I don't really know how common this.

You'd be surprised. I'm not really sure why they feel they need to make comments but here in NY, it's more odd when it doesn't happen. It's still creepy though :huh:

It was new to me because I'm used to the gym where everyone minds their own business. Shrug. It really does suck.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I kind of prefer to run on the treadmill because of the ability to set it on an incline, but I don't mind running outside so much anymore as I've gotten older (only that it's too freaking hot sometimes). I used to be quite scared of men in the streets because in my home country they not only can say gross things, but sometimes they even attempt to grab you. So I totally understand what the OP means; it can be scary (especially if one's gone through a negative experience). Most people out there are nice though, and I'm sure 99% mean well, and mean it as a compliment, if not to oneself, to the action of running in itself.

On a positive note: the more you run, the more you can outrun the pervs if you need to!
  • Kst76
    Options

It can be very scary especially when you have cars pulling up to you. Like I said I remember being an 11 year old child! and having these disgusting perverts coming up to me. No wonder I started to hate walking when I was a teen who would want to walk when you can be accosted every time you set food on the street. Makes me angry...grrrrrr.

Some girls love the attention though. I am not one of them. What happened to you at age 11 is horrible.
    Like I said, I prefer the gym.
This discussion has been closed.