Soldier beheaded in streets of london....

Options

Replies

• kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Why was the soldier alone? In my military experience, we were often in pairs or larger groups. What took the police so long? I am so sad for the soldiers family.

It took the police long because they weren't armed, they had to wait twenty minutes for a trained armed response team. Such a tragedy.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    thats not terrorism, thats a guy with a machete.

BAGHDAD — A wave of car bombings and shootings hit cities in Iraq late Sunday and on Monday, killing at least 76 people and wounding more than 250, medical and security officials said. Some news agency reports put the overall toll even higher, at 86 or more dead.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/world/middleeast/baghdad-basra-iraq-bombings.html

no threads about that tho eh.

There might be if any of them were on MyFitnessPal
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Why was the soldier alone? In my military experience, we were often in pairs or larger groups. What took the police so long? I am so sad for the soldiers family.

It took the police long because they weren't armed, they had to wait twenty minutes for a trained armed response team. Such a tragedy.
    Armed or not it should be a wake up call for people to realize that when stuff goes down the police are not going to be there to help you. Your self-preservation is in your own hands.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    We have Fanny's, therefore we win by default.

God, I took my mum there a couple of weeks ago :laugh: it was like taking Hyacinth Bucket in to c0ck fight

:D I love it there. Though there's a bar at the place where I live so I tend to go there more often than not as it's 30 seconds away. At least they have Saltaire Blonde.

Do you live at Victoria Mills? :O
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

God, I took my mum there a couple of weeks ago :laugh: it was like taking Hyacinth Bucket in to c0ck fight

:D I love it there. Though there's a bar at the place where I live so I tend to go there more often than not as it's 30 seconds away. At least they have Saltaire Blonde.

I do indeed :)
  • VeganSurfer
    Options

So do I :)
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Armed or not it should be a wake up call for people to realize that when stuff goes down the police are not going to be there to help you. Your self-preservation is in your own hands.

It is indeed, our police force are a joke in comparison to some countries.
  • Zomoniac
    Options

Wooh! I'm at the top of Northern Lights, with a magnificent view of the tax building and that monstrosity with all the spikes :)
  • Zomoniac
    Options

Wooh! I'm at the top of Northern Lights, with a magnificent view of the tax building and that monstrosity with all the spikes :)

We are in the New Mill, duplex on 4th floor, how weird is this! :laugh: we are neighbours!

Not 49 I hope?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    ^^Will you two just sleep together and get it over with?
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Too bad there was not an armed citizen nearby who could have helped this poor man.

because everyone carrying guns would be a great help!

um...YES it would!
  • vicky7917
    vicky7917 Posts: 14
    Options

This is a different country. Watching and listening to the news for more than 6 hours yesterday, I'm pretty supportive of how the police handled it under the circumstances.

These kind of events are very rare in this country so I think it's a bit off to include it in blanket statements. I think the reason we don't have higher instances of such acts is because we do have very strict controls on obtaining and carrying offensive weapons. There will always be instances (this one included a meat cleaver), but I'm thankful we don't have more.

btw, the whole situation went down inside of about 25 minutes. The car hitting the guy, the attack beginning, the ambulance being called because people thought it was a car accident, the police being called, the area being secured, the armed response unit being called and the men being shot. For a rare situation, I applaud the police for what they did.

As for the guy being alone, he was off duty and walking down the street, on his way back to barracks.
  • VeganSurfer
    Options
    Too bad there was not an armed citizen nearby who could have helped this poor man.

um...YES it would!

No, we don't have mass shootings here, kids shooting kids, kids shooting up schools etc and we don't wish to have it either.
  • vicky7917
    vicky7917 Posts: 14
    Options

um...YES it would!

No, we don't have mass shootings here, kids shooting kids, kids shooting up schools etc and we don't wish to have it either.

Agree.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

so what should he have done after being hit by a car, dragged into the middle of the street and stabbed repeatedly with a machete?
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

We certainly do have mass shootings:

Hungerford
    Dunblane
    Cumbria

And we certainly do have kids shooting kids within gangland Britain. However if guns were commonplace we'd have more of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

um...YES it would!

Agree.

exactly!
  • Zomoniac
    Options

um...YES it would!

Really? Because the homicide per population rate in the US is 4 times higher than the UK, which seems to suggest you might be talking nonsense. A gun to defend yourself isn't much use if they have one too and get to the trigger first. Do you actually have any stats to back up that utterly baseless claim?
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Too bad there was not an armed citizen nearby who could have helped this poor man. Lord have mercy.

dude we are not allowed to carry weapons of any sort inc guns! :sad: shame tho I woulda shot those sob's that's for sure....:angry:

Oh boy. Armed citizens? This is an absolute tragedy of the highest order, but having armed citizens around is not the answer.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I am not even going to TOUCH the gun debate, but I will say that I love how nowadays, people have no respect for their police officers, and yet as soon as they need something,who do they call? If you don't respect them and you don't think they do their job, find a different way to handle it when someone breaks into your house. Why call the police if they're crap anyway? Best to sit in your closet and just hope they leave all your things where they are and don't harm you in any way.

And let me know how that goes.
This discussion has been closed.