Putting your KID on a leash

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Wow... never used a carseat? That's just unsafe IMO! My daughter will be 8 and she still sits in a high backbooster. I can't imagine a two year old never using a carseat... unless they were never in a car!

Wow it's called public transportation...lol

An 8 yr in a booster hahaha omg smh my nephew is 7 and he doesn't use one.

doesn't use one in a car? how dangerous, his parents are horrible, just horrible. (more sarcasm but fyi, it is advised to use a booster until they are over a certain height as the damage that can be done to a child from a seat belt incorrectly positioned is horrific, I presume they DO use a seat belt for him right? In order to restrain him, you know, to protect him))
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    I would be curious to know if the people who say 'no way' have kids or not. Just to get some perspective on their opinion.

I agree. I have children, and if I lived in a crowded area or had bratty kids who didn't listen, I would love to use these. My kids are good kids and listen to me, and hold hands when we go out, to me, I feel there is no need. But, on the other hand, my mom had one for me and I grew up in Bridgeport, CT which is freaking scarier than NYC
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    I used one on an international trip that took 30 hours and 3 airports with a 2 year old while I was 8 months pregnant. You damn right I used one so I wouldn't have to chase my 2 year old through busy crowded international airports
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Leash your kids if you want, don't leash them if you don't want to.... Who cares ? Raise your kid right so he or she won't kill steal or hurt animals... Everyone gets so worked up here...
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Well, you should know it depends on size. It's safer to be in a booster than not. Try looking up carseat safety rules. I'm sure SHE is making sure her child is as safe as possible.
    Wow... never used a carseat? That's just unsafe IMO! My daughter will be 8 and she still sits in a high backbooster. I can't imagine a two year old never using a carseat... unless they were never in a car!

Where did I say she should'nt use one? ...I guess that's a very small eighhhhhhht year old ;)

No one needs Captain Obvious to point out that you implied it.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Some kids at a certain age will not hold your hand, throw themselves about and refuse to be restrained in a seat or stroller.

yep. my little sister was one of those. tried to hold her hand and she did the whole lazy body thing when she would kick and scream and let her whole body weight lag on the floor so she made sure u were dragging her by the arm, rather than letting her walk on her own. complete drama baby.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    whether you use one occasionally, all the time or as a once off & whether due to ADD/ autistic/ disabled/ naughty child or general restraint it doesn't matter.

Why you use one is no one elses business. end. of.

Maybe not, but it gives context and weight to our opinions on why they are not a bad thing, which is after all what the discussion here is supposed about.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member

FYI, in my state a child has to be 4 foot 9 inches before they are allowed out of a booster, and it's similiar in most every state.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    I used one on an international trip that took 30 hours and 3 airports with a 2 year old while I was 8 months pregnant. You damn right I used one so I wouldn't have to chase my 2 year old through busy crowded international airports

Oh yes, I remember I brought my then 3 year old and my niece (baby) to the Mexico Intl. Airport and I had my 3 yr old on a leash because I had to hold the baby in my arms and also was tugging along my small carry on bag. How else would I have done it?? Let's think a little before starting this type of topic. Sounds like the OP just wants some attention. :)
  • kdward83
    kdward83 Posts: 32
    I don't have kids, but if I did I would totally use a leash if necessary. It doesn't hurt them and it gives them (and mom) more freedom than hand holding in a crowded, but interesting place (zoo, amusement park, museum, fair). I am PRO leash! lol
  • beccyleigh
    Kimmyeb: I think she's just trolling, like it said earlier, anyone can say anything they want on the interwebs.
  • AmyFett
    Some kids at a certain age will not hold your hand, throw themselves about and refuse to be restrained in a seat or stroller.

yep. my little sister was one of those. tried to hold her hand and she did the whole lazy body thing when she would kick and scream and let her whole body weight lag on the floor so she made sure u were dragging her by the arm, rather than letting her walk on her own. complete drama baby.

that's what you call a spoiled brat =P
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    I've never had to use one for my boys but I'm a worst case scenario thinker (there is a reason for that) and assumed everyone wanted to steal my kids. :tongue: I watch them like a hawk. My SIL does use one for my nephew when they are in busy places. He is 3, friendly and BUSY. She is also easily distracted. I think it is a good thing for them.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    I have a great deal of experience with large groups of very young kids and I never used a leash.
    In general, children grow into what you expect of them and treating them like a pet will not create good American citizens.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    My friend puts her daughter on a leash because she has a condition that causes her arm to slip out of socket easily. One trip or excited pull while holding mommy's hand results in a trip to the ER, and her holding a screaming child while the doc fixes it. I'd say a leash is more humane.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    hahaha. We used to laugh at people that had their kids on a leash. But then we had my second....and OMG he was a RUNAWAY CHILD at all times!!!! I think we used one once, but really, I could have used one more often. It depends on the child. It was horrible with him running and having to watch another one, PLUS having a baby in your arms. So, funny as it may, it could have prevented a bunch of grey hairs. lol.
  • beccyleigh
    I have a great deal of experience with large groups of very young kids and I never used a leash.
    In general, children grow into what you expect of them and treating them like a pet will not create good American citizens.

thankfully not everyone is looking to raise American citizens!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    My sister is a pediatrician. She has a special needs child. She said it's a lot better to use a harness and tether than to lose a vulnerable child in a crowd.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member

8 and 80lbs in this State. Each State has different laws and they are all designed to keep the kids safe.
  • AmyFett

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this AT ALL. My mom used one for me for like carnivals and parades and things like that. I am a good citizen, I've worked my *kitten* off for everything I have ever gotten. Never had things handed to me or expect hand outs EVER. She didn't treat me like a pet, she wanted to keep me safe in a huge city. Get off your high horse lol.