Senior Golden Sneakers Club~~~Welcome~~~~~Dec.

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Hazard
    Hazard Posts: 14
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    Wow - what a nice response from all of you. And, I love that you all know each other - the group hasn't grown completely out of control.
    Weather - as you may have noted, I'm from Minnesota ... it's a big topic of conversation here. We had a fabulous snowy white Christmas... but you had to be careful driving. In Feb. - Steve and I will go to CA for 1 month. Haven't done that before as we both still work parttime. So .. anyone from Cally? Wow - what great weather YOU have.

Animals- Marie, thanks for the heads up on all you animal lovers. None here ... at least not now. But I did have to chuckle reading about the 3 Pigs... and for heaven's sake ... the squirrels. I meet w/ 4 of my nursing school friends (I was an RN for 25 years b/4 becoming a psychologist) about q4months and even though they all have grandchildren (not me, yet) - we spend most of our "check in" time talking about their pets. It cracks me up.

Ah ... the reason we are all here - thing - weight loss! I really am impressed w/ how much you all try to move. That's my downfall. I loved the advice that was given to me and I will go back and read it over and over. Slowly, but surely, I hope to get to know each of you as this seems to be a good fit for me. It's a bit daunting to think about reading the back pages ... so I will be getting to know you all as we go forward - hope that is ok.

Everyone have a good day. I'm going to try to make it to "Anytime" fitness. Joined 3 months ago - have been there, maybe, 4 times. Hubbie - Steve - goes about 4x/week first thing in the morning. Me ... it takes me about 2 hours to wake up ! I futz around ... surely wish I were a morning person! Enough already ....

Oh - one last thing... Marie, what is with the flax seed muffin thing? I know flax is good for us ... is this a family recipe or something new?

Bye for now .....
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hi Mary Ann,
    I am following the Metabolism B Miracle Diet by Diane Kress

This is one of our recipe and theere are many variation of this recipe. I change it up and make hamburger buns out of it. This one here is the sweet one. I like it for breakfast. And I used the ground golden flat seeds and i grind them up in my blender They are wonderful for your digestive track. And at my age I need all the help I can get.

1 Minute Muffins

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal, ground
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 packet splenda packet
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 11.1 total carbs, 8.8 fiber, for 2.3 net carbs.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

Marie
  • Hazard
    Options
    Couldn't stand looking at that blank icon .... how's this for a fabulous taste of Minnesota ... our lakes! Hazard Mary Ann
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Mary Ann, my daughter lives in Chaska Minnesota where it is a balmy 0 degrees right now. :laugh: She is going grocery shopping but had to wait for it to warm up. :laugh: My granddaughter goes to the University of Minnesota so you are all neighbors. :tongue:

Marie, if i liked to cook or bake you recipe sounds really good. I will stick with my cheerios and banana for breakfast, it is much easier for me. :glasses:

My new Wii Your Shape is cool. It has a camera that shows your image on the TV screen. When you are following the exercises it tells you if you are right or wrong. Mine kept saying watch your arms. It is floor exercises including aerobics so if you have bad legs or knees (like I do) you might not like it. I have learned to ignore the pain in my knees while exercising, in fact they feel better when I do exercise. I use an elliptical instead of a treadmill for the same reason. :happy:

I am continuing to try and keep up with my exercise this week to shed those unwanted pounds. I am going now to do the elliptical so I can gain some extra calories. :love:

Record your food, exercise and drink water...............:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

Just been working and such today. Work is dead but I still make the effort! LOL I am hooking up a new sound system in the workout area today along with cleaning it. The kids all took off for lunch and ice skating and then a movie. So it is joyusly quiet here! LOL :smile: We are supposed to get about 4 more inches of snow tomorrow and Thursday. I am ready. I have the driveway cleaned and slush free.

Still dealing with the family on my wifes side but it is pretty good by normal standards (or lack of standards LOL).

Elli don't worry about the weight. Correct yourself for about 2 days and weigh again. I bet a lot is due to water from salt and other spices that are commonly used around the holidays. I bet it will vanish very rapidly.

Well I am going to finish my work and then go with Day to Walgreens for vitamins.

Everyone have a great day!

Jeffrey (less than 90 days til Spring!)
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

Just been working and such today. Work is dead but I still make the effort! LOL I am hooking up a new sound system in the workout area today along with cleaning it. The kids all took off for lunch and ice skating and then a movie. So it is joyusly quiet here! LOL :smile: We are supposed to get about 4 more inches of snow tomorrow and Thursday. I am ready. I have the driveway cleaned and slush free.

Still dealing with the family on my wifes side but it is pretty good by normal standards (or lack of standards LOL).

Elli don't worry about the weight. Correct yourself for about 2 days and weigh again. I bet a lot is due to water from salt and other spices that are commonly used around the holidays. I bet it will vanish very rapidly.

Well I am going to finish my work and then go with Day to Walgreens for vitamins.

Everyone have a great day!

Jeffrey (less than 90 days til Spring!)

Can you come and remove my snow Jeff? The guy who did ours did it before it stopped snowing and it is a mess.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marie, I'm glad to hear that you are back on the flax seed wagon. That chocolate cake would knock us all of our wagons.......the longer I stay away from sugar, the less interested I am so I probably would have ignored the chocolate cake.......my downfall was turkey, stuffing, and corn pudding (at least I resisted the butter that others were putting on theirs and I skipped the mashed potatoes and gravy)...about the weather, our summers are usually mild (in the 70's ) but we had some days in the 90's last year

:flowerforyou: Sandy, we don't have snow here but this afternoon at the dog park it felt like it was getting ready to snow.....we have a great snow shovel, but I'd rather not use it :laugh: Your new WII Your Shape sounds like fun but I don't know if I'd want to watch myself.....I love the cartoon characters instead.

:flowerforyou: Mary Ann, I went to college in Southern Minnesota so I know what the winters are like........at least I didn't have to worry about shoveling snow or driving because I lived in a dorm on campus. Your lake picture looks great.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, a sound system in the workout area sounds great.....I love to exercise to music especially when it's the music I choose. Thanks for the reminder of how soon it will be spring.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We've had a busy day that included a long visit to the vet for the cats' regular checkup......it was Dr. B's last appointment of the day so we sat around and talked for a long time after the check-up was done. Haifa lost a lot of weight (2 pounds this year) so she's worried that it might be diabetes or kidney trouble. She took blood to check on the possibilities. He also has two teeth that will need to be pulled so we'll have to make another appointment for that. Bernie is still a little overweight but she said that he's healthy. Now Jake is on the phone for his regular Tuesday night conference call so dinner won't be happening until he's done. We had a meeting at lunchtime with our local Isagenix team so we put off our regular big meal until evening and Jake's cooking so I can't start without him.
    :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: hugs, Barbie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Whew! I got weighed this morning, thinking I MUST have gained weight.:embarassed: ...so face the music....and I lost another 2 lbs!!!! :bigsmile: I can't tell you what a relief it is!!! :blushing: I HAVE been exercising extra and drinking tons of water.:drinker: :drinker: ...and I was off the wagon the day before Christmas Eve (with the carrot cake), Christmas Eve...a little and Christmas Day did a lot of picking! :tongue: But the good news is that even though I was off....( and I believe this is key) I bumped up the exercise and water! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Also I got rid of everything that was a temptation :devil: by Christmas Day evening as well as got right back on the wagon the day after Christmas! I simply can't believe it, though! I was SO SURE I gained!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I wanted to lose 35 lbs by the New Year and I've lost 34! I'LL TAKE IT! YIPEE! :bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile:
    Focus....MFP....the grace of God....& one day at a time... have really been my , all time best, gifts this year!:flowerforyou:

I will read the posts as soon as I can. It is the end of the year, and to an accounting office that's when the s--- hits the fan. :noway: So I will be very, very busy...especially in January. I'll be working 6 days a week!
    Don't think I'm MIA because I won't be.:wink:
    Welcome to all the new MFP people!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: It will not only help YOU in your journey, YOUR input, as is everyone's input, will help us all!
    We are a family of supporters ...:love: we are winners:flowerforyou: ...not losers:angry: ...even though...losing:flowerforyou: makes us winners!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    God Bless and have a great day and New Year! If I can post...I will.:smile:
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Hi I am looking forward to next year.And to spend time with you all. It has been a pleasure being with each and everyone of you. You guys have kept me going.

We didn't get our snow yesterday. but did drizzle all day and cold. It is above freezing so we didn't have to worry about ice this morning. Jerry and I are off to Traget this morning. He has a gift card He is going to get new underwear with his. I told him to get some Sexy ones. His is all so baggy. He has lost some weight. He ask for suspenders for Christmas and put them on to hold his pants up. I will be picking up some fruits for I start step 2 of my program and can add fruit to it the first of January. I wish i could lose like Barbie,Birded and some of the others but it is just not to be. But I will continue to keep on eating healty for it does make me feel better. I think I worry about it too much.

Everyone have a have a lovely day.
    And get ready to post your new goals for 2010
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Good Morning,

Marie, I think you are right and I think you worry too much about the actual loss of pounds. You are doing wonderful, you are eating healthy, you are feeling good, you have more energy and you are still talking sexy.:laugh: Just keep doing what you are doing and forget about that scale. :heart:

Birdie, congratulations on the 2 pounds gone, I wish I could report the same thing. You are determined and you are like Barbie, always working your program. That is wonderful and we couldn't be more proud of you!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I have been trying to watch what I am eating, but I still have some junk food in my house that I nibble on. I keep trying to push it on my husband but I am weak. :smile: It is not really that bad though since I have gone back to exercising and drinking more water. I have lost two of the four additional Christmas pounds but still need to lose two more to get to my ticker weight so I can lose those last three pounds of my goal. Did I lose anyone? :tongue:

Speaking of exercise I am going to do my new Wii now, so will be back later to catch up on everyone's day.

Sandy
  • Hazard
    Options
    Hi All,
    Well - it's back to work for me. I have a very small practice and wonderful clients - so I have nothing to complain about, but it's still hard going out w/ the icy roads.

I am so impressed w/ all of you AND this MyFitnessPal concept. I love the focus of logging all my foods... and I just crack up when it tells me I'm going to weigh 10# more if I keep eating like I have been:smile:

I really haven't come off the Christmas bingeing ... I have tossed all the extra food now, though. Mostly, I feel yuccky ... it's hard not getting fresh air for days on end. You SunBabies are very lucky that way. I have been feeling loggy - sluggish, the usual. It could be the weather, no fresh air, no exercise, too much salt and waayyy to many Carbs. Take my pick. So ... I'm working my way back. My little Calorie graph is slowly going down. The weight not so fast (well - it has only been 5 days since I've joined you :laugh: I guess I have to have a little patience) I had NO idea I was eating so much.

Congrats to Birdie on the 34#! Very inspirational ....
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: The big news here is that we finally sold the motorhome.:bigsmile: the deal closed today. The loan is paid off and there's more money in our checking account. It was a little sad.....:sad: the end of a chapter in our lives, but the truth is that we haven't been out in the motorhome since before the 4th of July. We have two trips planned in January one by car and one by plane so we won't be staying home. The other big news is that we didn't celebrate by going to a restaurant. We finished the paperwork and came home to our big meal of baked cod, salad, and green beans.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Mary Ann, when I was in college in Minnesota we had underground tunnels between the dorms so it was possible to avoid going outside except to go to classes.........two years ago we went back for my 40th reunion and started talking about what a lovely place it was and maybe we should move there until someone reminded Jake that the golf courses would be covered with snow from October to April.:explode:

:flowerforyou: Marie, I agree that you should worry less about the scale and think more about how good you feel with your new metabolism eating plan......the scale will take care of itself

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sandy, Kashi crunch cereal has become my new junk food, perfect for mindless eating.....I think I may have to stop buying it.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Birdie, congratulations on your weight loss....a two pound loss is really impressive at a time when most people are hoping just to not gain anything.

Jake has gone to the movies with friends and I have the house to myself......I'm so glad he got to go. He loves movies and there are a lot of them that he wants to see that don't interest me.......this is the first time in years that he's found other people to go with.

:heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to watch what I am eating, but I still have some junk food in my house that I nibble on. I keep trying to push it on my husband but I am weak. :smile: It is not really that bad though since I have gone back to exercising and drinking more water. I have lost two of the four additional Christmas pounds but still need to lose two more to get to my ticker weight so I can lose those last three pounds of my goal. Did I lose anyone? :tongue: .....

Sandy

...hmmm, lost?? just let me get my calculator....:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Since this is the "fitness and exercise" thread, I must share a funny. It occurred to me that if the little piggies who went to market were making a request for the perfect Christmas gift, it would be a Wii, for each of them, because then they could "Wii, Wii, Wii, Wii, Wii all the way home!!":laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Just in case I don't get here tomorrow I thought I better leave my greetings. I do hope everyone experiences a wonderful year full of happiness. Very strange, I did write a post yesterday but I don't see it here. Obviously, I must have pushed the wrong button or something. I remember that it was lunch time so I cut it short, very short apparently.

Marie -- You have been doing fabulously on your plan. Slow and steady wins the race.

Barbie -- Enjoy your evening alone. Dave and I also like completely different movies. I really don't feel a need to spend $12 or $13 just to have a good sleep and now that I snore. . . .

Barb -- Too funny!

Birdie -- Proud of you, girl!

Beth -- How is the training going? I think your race is very soon. I know you will do great.

Elli -- Have a wonderful time with your children. Worry about the diet later.

Phoebe -- Glad you get to take a little break for the holiday. Put your feet up, you deserve it.

Jeffrey -- It sounds like you are enjoying your family. It is always sad to see them go but at least today we have these wonderful things called computers to keep in touch. I remember when I left home I was so lonely. I gathered my change and phoned from the pay phone down the hall. My Mom was so sweet and of course, asked all the right questions and soon I was in tears. She told me to call collect any time. I wonder if she ever regretted that!! Being a Mom now, I doubt it. When my Mom died after several years of enduring Alzheimers I wondered if I would always remember her in her last years. Very happily, I can say that often my memories of her are from pre-Alzheimers and she comes in so clear. That is such a blessing. Not sure how I got there but there it is. I think my mind was on your family issues. I hope things are calm.

Sandy -- Good for you for dropping a couple of those pounds. We are never perfect (most of us!) but somehow we will get there too.

Mary Ann -- I, too, am a nurse (RN, BScN) and for the last 27 years have worked as an Early Childhood Consultant with Infants and Toddlers who are developmentally challenged and their families. I just retired except I will be working casual with children who are long term in-patients, usually in PICU. Prior to that I worked in Coronary Care/ICU. Looking back I have had a wonderfully rewarding career BUT I am still ready to retire!! You will also hear me often speak of my son, Neil, who lives at home with us. Our other two boys are off on their own. Hmm, I can be summed up in a few lines. Good for you for taking on this weight loss thing even though you don't feel like you need to lose weight. I am not an example in the weight loss department but thankfully, they are very tolerant here and haven't kicked me out yet!!

Take care and keep smiling. Again, Happy New Year! :bigsmile: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

It was wonderful to open our thread up and seeing such nice post from our friends. You guys were made in heaven. Love ya.

I got to remember to change our month tonight. and

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU MAY WE HAVE ANOTHER GOOD YEAR AHEAD.

Marie
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Just a note to let everyone know that I was thinking of them. I will post more later on. I am behind in my domestic duties! LOL

Jeffrey
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    What a busy day........spiritual meeting at 7 AM......line dance 9-11 AM......meeting with a new Isagenix customer including lunch (Isagenix shakes for all).......dog park in the wind and a bit of rain........exercise bike........computer bookkeeping chores.....supper......exercise bike......and now time for MFP:flowerforyou: ...we're going to a friendly gathering this evening that we'll leave long before midnight.....we haven't stayed up to welcome the New Year in decades :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Barb, I thought you were talking about your three little "piggies"going "wii, wii,wii, wii, all the way home" until I read it out loud to Jake and realized you were talking about the original little piggies.....I'll bet your piggies would love to play on the WII.

Happy New Year to all and I'll see you on the new thread tomorrow morning.
    :smooched: :heart: :smooched: :heart: hugs, Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barbie-

So I guess I have another reason to go buy one--a Wii, that is--NOT another "little piggie!!" :laugh: :laugh: Maybe I will have a chance to see if they really DO play on one when I visit my friends in the Gorge for the Superbowl Sunday party that we have planned. They just got a Wii for themselves for Christmas.

Hope you have fun at your party tonight. I am staying in.

Happy New Year to all:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74191-seniors-golden-sneakers-club-january-2010

This is our new link to Senior Golden Sneakers for Jan.
    Dec. is closed
    Been a wonderful year and lets have another good year.Marie