Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Oliver Cromwell Protector of the Queen. My great grandmother maiden name on my on my mom's side was Cromwell before she married. She looked a lot like the actor James Cromwell so I think I am related to him too.
    Um...he didn't protect the queen. He was an anti-royalist who was instrumental in the temporary banishment of the monarchy in England and the execution of King Charles.
    I went to read about him again and your right.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    lot's of Andrew Jackson relatives here, weird.
    I have found that at least one of my ancestors fought in the Eastern band of Cherokees for the Confederacy.
    And Fred Thompson (senator and actor) is supposedly a very distant relative.
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm related to William Shakespeare through my great grandmother. She keeps the entire family genealogy, but I'm unsure of what he is to me exactly. There's also a few dukes and duchesses in there from when my family was still in England years and years ago.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    from what i see in the family tree that was done on my moms side of the family.....we are very distant cousins to Benjamin "Bibi" Netanyahu, the Prime Minister of Israel.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Teddy Roosevelt. Except that I AM related to him, not just think so...
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    We actually have a really cool genealogy book that traces wayyy back on my mother's side. I have a few proven ones and a few that are possible, but not proven.
    Proven...
    Joseph Myrick (better known as The Elephant Man. I'm a direct descendant)
    Victoria Principal (Dallas. Her mother's maiden name was Veal, and she married into the Stapleton's. Stapleton is my mother's maiden name.)
    Paul Rose (founder of Rose's Department Store)
    John Gorrie (considered the father of refrigeration and air conditioning)
    Lady Bird Johnson
    There are some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Possible:
    Thomas Edison
    George Bush
    Barack Obama
    Jimmy Carter
    Gerald Ford
    Robert E. Lee
    Sarah Palin
    Harry Truman
    Brad Pitt
    **** Cheney
    James Madison

So yeah... all of these were in the book, just some have been proven and others haven't.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm the *kitten* love child of Pee Wee Herman and Janet Reno
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My father's family and the white side of Prez Obama have the same last name and are from the same part Ireland. I haven't found a direct link, but I think that is kind of cool.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Davy Crockett on my father's side.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have been doing genealogy for over 30 years, and have spent more hours on Ancestry.com than I have on MFP! Dad's roots go back to colonial America, including Mayflower passengers William Brewster, Francis Cooke, Edward Doty, Stephen Hopkins and Thomas Rogers. My ancestors went from England to Plymouth to Cape Cod (mostly Eastham and Chatham) and then, about 10 years before the Revolutionary War, to Barrington Nova Scotia Canada. My grandfather was born in Barrington in 1890. Four towns in 263 years. You can bet that many of these people married distant cousins!

More interesting: Not only have I been researching my own family, I have also done some research of other people important in my life. I've been surprised to find how many of them are related! My first husband, a long-time (10+years) boyfriend, and my last (current!) husband are all my 7th cousins ... all with multiple common ancestors ... and these three men are all 7th or 8th cousins to each other. My sister's husband and my best friend are also very distant relatives (with our common ties going back to the early 1600's).

Think about how few people there were in the early years of America. Then consider Ralph Smith of Hingham and Eastham MA, one of my ancestors, who, about 25 years ago had an estimated 2 million living descendants. If you have an English surname in your family tree, there is a good chance that you, too, can trace your roots back to English royalty or colonial America. And, it's much easier now than it was back when I started! :)
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I'm MJ's neice.
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm related to Eva Braun, Hitler's girlfriend/wife. I wish it were someone who did something wonderful but, alas, that's as good as it gets for me. :(
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have two great something uncles who are famous?

Willard Dewveall (foot ball player Houston Oilers)
    Johnathan Dewveall (indie/blues band member)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    me. ;)
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The most notable thing I remember in scanning through the family genealogies that my Grandmother and Grammie had is that some ancestor or other was at Yorktown with Cornwallis at the final surrender of the Revolutionary War. Got a ton of "six degrees of separations" but no real known famous blood connections on my side. On my husband's side however, his Grandma was a Morrow and a cousin of Anne Morrow Lindbergh and my mother in law claims that they're related to Robert Burns, the poet. Don't know how verifiable that is but whatever. Not terribly life changing one way or the other. In the end, if you could really trace it far enough back every who ever lived is at least distantly related.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    A bunch of gold diggers. One side of the family went to the gold rush in Alaska. Other side of the family went to strike it rich in Australia. Got some humanitarians in there too-one couple great great grandparents met in San Francisco after the big 1901 quake to do restoration work.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    Im a direct decendent of the Mccoys (Hatfield & Mccoys).

*laughs* I'm sure our ancestors would be rolling in their graves..... My great great grandfather Sterling Barnes was married to one Charity Hatfield.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My mom's oncologist's nephew is Will Ferrell, that counts for something right?
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mudd, the guy who patched up John Wilkes Boothe after he shot Lincoln and broke his leg. Very distantly related to Eleanor Roosevelt, IIRC.
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    IF you go way way way back and circle around i am related to Bubbles, you know the chimp that hung out with Michael Jackson