olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• mollysonnotice
    Options
    Gymnastics is a sport! I don't know why arbitrarily judging determines sportyness or not. For me the determinant is whether it requires a lot of training and is a display of athletic prowess.

I think archery isn't a sport, nothing equestrian either.

I also think other things are sports but don't belong in the Olympics because they are such niche sports: beach volleyball, handball, canoe slalom and sprint, rhythmic gymnastics, fencing, and badminton.

Apparently I'm a huge hater.

woah woah woah, have you ever fenced? Didn't think so. After competing for over 6 years in fencing, I have to tell you, nothing works me harder (Btw I play lacrosse, soccer, and I dance tap, ballet and modern). So don't you judge sports either. Fencing is the only reason I watch the olympics, just because you don't understand what is going on and it's too fast for you to register doesn't mean we dont.

and yeah, you are a huge hater, so buck up and stop complaining.

(sorry to all, I get very defensive about fencing. It's been a major component of my life since I was 8 years old and its the only reason I survived High School)
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The criteria for a sport is is there another person or TEAM that's trying to keep you from accomplishing a goal.

Golf... not a sport.
    NASCAR... not a sport.
    Track...not a sport.

Football, baseball, hockey, basketball, tennis.... all sports.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    They are all a sport. A "Sport" by definition is: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Just because someone says something is not a sport doesn't mean it's not. I can quack like a duck.... But it doesn't make me a duck.

according to ESPN, both poker and golf are 'sports'. clearly, neither are sports.

Actually, golf will be at Rio in 2016. Baseball and Softball were taken out. Nothing replaced them for 2012. Rugby and golf are in for 2016.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

It's the "Olympic Games" not the "Olympic Sports."

Your point is invalid.
    game 1 (gm)
    n.
    1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.
    a. A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.
    b. A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game.
    c. games An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games.
    d. A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project.

:happy:

Thank you! This should shut the OP up :-)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    They are all a sport. A "Sport" by definition is: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Just because someone says something is not a sport doesn't mean it's not. I can quack like a duck.... But it doesn't make me a duck.

according to ESPN, both poker and golf are 'sports'. clearly, neither are sports.

OT:

Robin Williams had the BEST description of golf EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    it isn't a sport unless is has a set scoring system. do A, get X points. do B, get Y. anything that uses a scoring system based on personal preferences and guesstimations of what certain moves or tricks are worth? not a sport.

this doesn't mean that competitors in these events aren't athletes, mind you. they just don't compete in a sport.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What about referees in football... don't they do some judging based on whether or not the ball passed through goal or over endzone line?

As much as I enjoy watching football, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bro, the men's gymnastic team could crack your skull with their thighs. please.

HAHAHAHAH! Omg, this one literally made me laugh out loud!
  • tobielauren
    Options
    The criteria for a sport is is there another person or TEAM that's trying to keep you from accomplishing a goal.

Golf... not a sport.
    NASCAR... not a sport.
    Track...not a sport.

depends on where you get your definition. which is part of the problem.

Track is a team sport. The team score is dependent on individual performances. PLUS there are relays that include 4 people. That's a team.

Isn't NASCAR a team sport as well? they have a team of people to help them? (I'm ignorant of NASCAR I will totally admit it)
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

Have you been watching "Married With Children" again? hahahhaha!!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

Golf... not a sport.
    NASCAR... not a sport.
    Track...not a sport.

depends on where you get your definition. which is part of the problem.

Track is a team sport. The team score is dependent on individual performances. PLUS there are relays that include 4 people. That's a team.

Isn't NASCAR a team sport as well? they have a team of people to help them? (I'm ignorant of NASCAR I will totally admit it)

yeppers nascar is more than just the dude in a car......altho he is usaly the only one people hear about:frown:
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In gymnastics they score points by completing certain goals or skills to perfection. The same way a ball can be called out of bounds, and not give them the point they can call a skill incomplete due to the form.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    it isn't a sport unless is has a set scoring system. do A, get X points. do B, get Y. anything that uses a scoring system based on personal preferences and guesstimations of what certain moves or tricks are worth? not a sport.

this doesn't mean that competitors in these events aren't athletes, mind you. they just don't compete in a sport.

they do have scoring systems. for gymnastics it was revamped around 2003, 2004. I don't know what the scoring is for the others, but there have been many controversies about figure skating. They are changing it to be not guestimations or arbitrary assumptions. Don't point your toes? Don't hit handstand? Hit a certain angle?...all of these things lead it to have less room for personal preference.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    OP wins.

I understand the theory behind his comments, and they do make sense. The subjective/objective posts were pretty good as well.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    ok no offense to you big guy, but you try gymnastics and then tell me it's not a sport.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

In gymnastics they get x points for completing a skill to its fullest possibility. There is a set scoring system for the skills that is dependent difficulty. There is set scores for deductions for each mistake. The same way in basketball they get more points due to difficulty of a shot according to distance.

Its not a guessing game. The judges are no different then coaches who judge a play.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    The WORLD disagrees with you.

I bet you play golf, fake hulk.
  • Andrewsvan
    Andrewsvan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    While I hate the subjective judging sports (basketball included), the athleticism to reach the Olympics in any event is a talent to be admired, well except for luge (winter Olympics). I think it was Seinfeld that did a hilarious bit on how they choose luge sliders.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm not sure if you are just trying to get a negative reaction, but SERIOUSLY? Gymnastics is one of the most athletic sports made for humans!!! Good Lord, lets see you twist, turn, flip, and land your body the way these ATHLETES do while they are competing in their SPORT!!! Man, what are you thinking, and what are you watching?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

they do have scoring systems. for gymnastics it was revamped around 2003, 2004. I don't know what the scoring is for the others, but there have been many controversies about figure skating. They are changing it to be not guestimations or arbitrary assumptions. Don't point your toes? Don't hit handstand? Hit a certain angle?...all of these things lead it to have less room for personal preference.

well, that's just it. of course there is a scoring system. they have a panel of judges. every judge sees the exact same routine, but there will be six different point totals given for that routine.

for the things you don't do, there are deductions. but those deductions then come out of whatever each judge felt you earned.

like, for example, competitive cheerleading. definitely fit, athletic young men and women. no one -- I think? -- would even try to argue that. but it isn't a sport. there are judges giving points they feel were earned.

(and it has been pointed out, but the argument of 'well, you can't do it!' has zero merit, honestly. so that needs to be just left out of this. kind of silly to throw that around.