Insanity - started today (7/16/12)

Options

Replies

• sjacobson1013
    sjacobson1013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Insanity today. I am very excited to start the workouts. I am usually a high-impact exerciser and have included P90X videos in my routine for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle in May and am still recovering. I can exercise to max intensity, but need to keep everything low-impact. Are there options in the Insanity workout to modify the moves to be low-impact? I'm hoping to start right away but may have to stare longingly at the box for another couple of months if modifications aren't available.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you think someone with 100+ to lose can try this, or is it more for people who are lighter? Hubby got it for me, but I'm really big with bad knees...
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Insanity today. I am very excited to start the workouts. I am usually a high-impact exerciser and have included P90X videos in my routine for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle in May and am still recovering. I can exercise to max intensity, but need to keep everything low-impact. Are there options in the Insanity workout to modify the moves to be low-impact? I'm hoping to start right away but may have to stare longingly at the box for another couple of months if modifications aren't available.

Unlike Turbo Fire where there is a modifier on the stage with Chalene, Insanity doesn't include modifications; however, Shaun is adamant that it's better to hold form than maintain speed so you should feel comfortable doing what your body will allow and work from there. There is quite a bit of jumping and running/sprints though in the workouts so if your ankle can't support your weight just yet then you may want to wait a bit longer. Sorry to bear bad news :frown:

Take a look at the workouts before you get going. Perhaps you could start off doing some of the workout and skip the parts your ankle won't allow you to do so you're able to get started. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Sharon
  • telcochik
    Options
    Do you think someone with 100+ to lose can try this, or is it more for people who are lighter? Hubby got it for me, but I'm really big with bad knees...

You can absolutely do Insanity if you're not afraid to try. Do as much as you can each day (even if it's just some of the warm up). The best part about Insanity is that you build on your cardio endurance and stamina each time you go through a workout. I'm in my 4th week and I still can't do it 100% all the way through but I've definitely gotten better. When you watch the videos you'll see the people stopping frequently, running off set to grab water, etc. The hardest thing for me to get was that I didn't have to keep up with the people on screen as long as I kept moving to the best of my ability. I won't lie, this is a hard program. You may feel like you're going to die from just doing the warm up. Most people, starting weight is irrelevant, feel this way. If you want it bad enough you will find a way to do it. Just keep plugging away and never let yourself feel bad for what you can and can't do because just trying Insanity puts you in a different category than a lot of people. Feel free to friend me if you want an Insanity buddy. There are a lot of us on MFP doing this program so there will be a lot of support if you want it.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Sharon
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 4 Day 3 Plyo Cardio Circuit

As usual I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Cardio Recovery session, especially after all that jumping in Plyo! I can't believe the end of week 4 is in sight and that I will soon be done with Month 1. I told my husband last night that I was so proud of myself for doing my workout yesterday even though I overslept and could have skipped it. I really feel like my commitment level is at an all time high and I am confident I will complete Month 2 and earn my shirt.

Can't wait!!!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 4 Day 4 Cardio Recovery

Love this workout! I'm now psyched to tackle days 5 and 6 and finish the 1st month of this craziness!!!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 4 Day 5 Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs

Well I only have 1 more workout tomorrow to complete to finish my first month of Insanity. Wow the time really flew! I definitely feel stronger and preliminary measurements show I've lost about 0.5" off my chest, 1" off my waist, and 1" off my hips plus I'm close to 5 lbs gone on the scale. My official weigh in and measurement day is Sunday so I won't actually log my progress until then.

I am so ready for Week 5 Recovery Week. I'm hoping Month 2 goes as well as Month 1 did. I'm already thinking about what I want to do once the first round of Insanity is over and I think I'm going to do a second round and then a hybrid of Insanity/ChaLEAN Extreme. My ultimate goal is to fit comfortably into all of the size 10 clothes that are hanging in my closet and I think that is definitely achievable by the end of the year.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    wow telcochick you are an inspiration! Ive just read through all this thread and you are amazing!

Today was day 16 for me, im loving it so far, only lost a few lbs to date but feeling so much better in myself and my fitness. Starting to get some tightening just above my knee the last few days, maybe i pushed too hard on my last fit test!

I too must admit to not feeling like it some days but keep pushing on and getting through it! Shaun T might have a few words said to him at times and i usually ask why the heck i started this lol but the feeling you get when you have finished each day is great!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 4 Day 6 Plyo Cardio Circuit

Wow I can't believe I completed my first month of Insanity. Tomorrow is my official weigh in day and I will be taking measurements and pictures. I already know I've made some huge progress since this craziness began because I'm now completing a greater percentage of each workout and my calorie burns continue to increase. Today I achieved my highest burn on Plyo so I'm incredibly proud of that accomplishment.

I plan to buy a regular Insanity tee shirt today to celebrate this milestone but I am really FOCUSED on earning the official one at the end of the program. Can't wait to see what Month 2 brings! Onto Recovery Week....
  • tatash16
    tatash16 Posts: 10
    Options
    Just started Insanity on Aug.10 did the fit test and this morning did my first workout...plyometric cardio circuit!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Just started Insanity on Aug.10 did the fit test and this morning did my first workout...plyometric cardio circuit!

Welcome to the craziness! You will learn to LOVE this program! Good luck and keep in touch!
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    GOING TO START INSANITY IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS CZ M V SERIOUS ABOUT MY FITNESS NOW :p
  • telcochik
    Options
    GOING TO START INSANITY IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS CZ M V SERIOUS ABOUT MY FITNESS NOW :p

Yay you will LOVE it! Feel free to friend me if you want someone to buddy up with!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 4 Day 7 REST DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 1 month of Insanity my weight went from 182.0 to 177.1 (4.9 lbs. lost) and I shrank 4 inches all over:

Chest: 40.5 / 39.5 (-1)

Abs: 39.5 / 37.5 (-2)

Hips: 44.5 / 43.5 (-1)

Pretty good results from the first 4 weeks. Looking forward to Recovery Week (i.e. 6 days of Core Cardio and Balance).
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    hay telcochick good work.... and good luck :))
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 - Core Cardio & Balance

I'm not sure how this workout is supposed to be a recovery because I found myself out of breath during some of the drills just like the regular workouts! I loved this one but every time Shaun T said don't go full out so you're exhausted by the end I was like "WHAT??? How do you scale back the intensity of Level 1 drills???" :laugh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how this week goes and if I can eventually make it all the way through each of the drills for the full duration. I see CC&B incorporated into Month 2 and I can only imagine how nice it's going to feel to know there's a 37 minute session coming after 4 hour long Insanity workouts!

Sanaa - thanks for the friend request!!! Hope to read about your progress soon.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well ive been out for a couple of days due to my knee. Went to docs today and looks like ive tweaked a ligament coming down from my quad. Ive been told it could be 5-6 weeks for it to heal. She said i could carry on as long as i wasn't going silly and to give up the big jumping for now and if i get any pain to stop.

So my plan is i missed yesterday and now today then it is a rest day tomorrow anyway so ill start the following week (day 22) on thurs as normal and see what happens, not sure if i should leave cardio power and resistance out fully or just modify/ do something else with the power jumps.
  • telcochik
    Options
    I'm no doctor but if jumping is going to put strain on your injured knees then I would modify, modify, modify. Even squats and lunges might hurt so go slowly and see what you're comfortable doing. If it's just skipping all lower body movements for now then do that and go for a walk instead. You absolutely don't want to do anything to further injure yourself.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 Core Cardio & Balance

I woke up feeling really good this morning. Burned 10 more calories today than yesterday according to my HRM. I'm just 33 workouts away from earning my shirt!!!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 - Core Cardio & Balance

I'm not sure how this workout is supposed to be a recovery because I found myself out of breath during some of the drills just like the regular workouts! I loved this one but every time Shaun T said don't go full out so you're exhausted by the end I was like "WHAT??? How do you scale back the intensity of Level 1 drills???" :laugh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how this week goes and if I can eventually make it all the way through each of the drills for the full duration. I see CC&B incorporated into Month 2 and I can only imagine how nice it's going to feel to know there's a 37 minute session coming after 4 hour long Insanity workouts!

Sanaa - thanks for the friend request!!! Hope to read about your progress soon.

You're not supposed to do the recovery week DVD so that you're out of breath....supposed to keep it at a level so that you're getting a workout, but NOT so much that you're out of breath. Recovery week really helped my shoulders feel like they got into better shape without actually killing me.
    I'm doing Asylum now, on to Day 13 today!!!! Loving it -- can't wait to do the Insanity/Asylum hybrid month. And can't wait until Volume 2 of Asylum is released :)

Insanity was a great workout! If you stick with it you'll definitely see transformations.