Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its interesting to see how many other women are getting licensed to carry...very cool in my opinion.

I hate to say it, but there are just too many news stories of women joggers going missing and turning up dead somewhere later...and they happen in places we would probably consider to be very safe and you see all the neighbors on the news saying "its a quiet neighborhood...nothing like this ever happens here".

I've always believed its much better to err on the side of caution!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    IL doesn't recognize anybody's permit. They don't allow anybody to carry. However, with a resident MI permit, you can safely carry across state lines into WI, OH, or IN.

ETA: For now, always check the map before a trip, as those laws change often.

That's exactly what we were advised to do in our class...double check the maps before you go anywhere. We're taking an RV camping trip out west this year and since we won't be in OR or CA, we're seriously considering bringing them along since we'll be camping in some rural areas...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    California requires all kinds of classes, training, jumping through hoops, and of course paying ridiculous fees. :tongue: They don't make it easy, but I am very thankful to be living in a county with a good Sheriff who will actually issue permits. The wait right now just for the initial interview at the Sheriff's Office is about 12 months.
    California, Illinois and Oregon won't even recognize my CPL...that's what I was told in my class (they said not to even THINK about taking it across those state lines concealed or otherwise)

IL doesn't recognize anybody's permit. They don't allow anybody to carry. However, with a resident MI permit, you can safely carry across state lines into WI, OH, or IN.

It's big where I live to get a Utah permit because it covers so many states. I am licensed in several states and just haven't bothered getting Utah yet, although I've taken the class.

I think a difference that some are missing is many of us who do carry, have grown up with firearms. I was shooting at a very young age, taught firearm safety and my children have been taught. We are hunters and raising hunters too. It's not like I decided to just get a gun to protect me when I run, I have them in my desk at work, my car, my purse, it was natural for me to have one on a run.

I bet that teacher from Montana that was kidnapped and murdered didn't have any means of protections on her. Hornet spray is actually more effective than mace, but who wants to carry that large container. We have had runner's in our area beat by a guy with a pipe, attacked by a pack of dogs, have had 7 murders in 4 months, and the community is extremely rural and not large. I'd much rather have some means if necessary to protect myself. I don't run city streets, but I'm on empty country roads alone.

I worry about running with my dog that he would want to protect me more than I would get to run, he would be not friendly to any car, dog, cat, person, skunk, coyote, etc that I came across, I feel better with my gun than my dog. I admit that no everyone should or would want to carry a defensive weapon, I used an asp for a while, but I'm also trained for that as well.
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the people for replying to my previous comment. Just a quick question, I'm curious, and mean nothing by this. Do you ever travel to Europe, Canada, Australia NZ etc where the general population do not routinely carry weapons? How safe do you feel in, say, Paris or Edinburgh. I know that "bad" people are everywhere and you can get mugged (and worse) anywhere whether as a tourist or a local. I mean, generally, do you feel safe in your own neighbourhood? In another US city? In a city in a foreign land? And how about where you don't understand the language? I'm from the UK and have been to Paris and Rome recently. In Paris I felt that as a tourist my purse would be stolen at any point, I did not think that I would be shot or stabbed, in Rome there was a different atmosphere and although I could have been mugged, it did not seem quite so likely. That was my perception based on the number of people "accidentally" knocking into me at tourist spots, or asking directions. (I don't know either language) However, if I were to travel to, say New York, I would assume that the robbing would involve a gun! It is such a different culture and it is like asking you to explain why you say sidewalk instead of pavement. We just don't understand! I feel 100% safe from attacks where I live. (The traffic is a different matter!) Seriously, I would hate to have to go anywhere with a gun, even if I was trained in its use.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Being English, guns are alien to me. But if I were to jog in a place where there might be bears (O.M.G), I would take a bazooka. I would probably break all records for speed and distance. Bears? I would honestly kack myself into another dimension.

Now I feel wimpish for worrying about jogging around my local park in an area where crime is very low (checked the stats).

Bears! :noway: :noway:
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the people for replying to my previous comment. Just a quick question, I'm curious, and mean nothing by this. Do you ever travel to Europe, Canada, Australia NZ etc where the general population do not routinely carry weapons? How safe do you feel in, say, Paris or Edinburgh. I know that "bad" people are everywhere and you can get mugged (and worse) anywhere whether as a tourist or a local. I mean, generally, do you feel safe in your own neighbourhood? In another US city? In a city in a foreign land? And how about where you don't understand the language? I'm from the UK and have been to Paris and Rome recently. In Paris I felt that as a tourist my purse would be stolen at any point, I did not think that I would be shot or stabbed, in Rome there was a different atmosphere and although I could have been mugged, it did not seem quite so likely. That was my perception based on the number of people "accidentally" knocking into me at tourist spots, or asking directions. (I don't know either language) However, if I were to travel to, say New York, I would assume that the robbing would involve a gun! It is such a different culture and it is like asking you to explain why you say sidewalk instead of pavement. We just don't understand! I feel 100% safe from attacks where I live. (The traffic is a different matter!) Seriously, I would hate to have to go anywhere with a gun, even if I was trained in its use.

Well I have traveled fairly extensively for work around the world. Usually in the "tourist areas" one has to worry about pickpockets and purse snatchers. Violent crime rarely happens there as usually there is a police presence (both overt and covert) becuase tourism = big dollars and a splashy headline of some tourist getting stabbed to death in front of say Buckingham Palace wont go over well. So for "tourist areas" I do feel safe.

Now- do I feel safe going to places where I cant carry a gun? Yep- no problem. Like I posted above the best way to keep from having to defend yourself or from getting mugged is to keep your situational awareness up. Too often as a tourist people gawk, look around, and so on at whatever cool city they are in. That's fine but every now and then bring your eyes to street level and see if anyone is giving you a hard stare from across the street or is pacing you. Another good trick is every once in while walk into a random shop to "browse" for 5 minutes or so. Muggers are opportunists and they wont wait around typically while you look through a store.

As for not speaking the language- thats not true. I will guarantee if someone pulls a knife on you in Rome you will understand the language damn quick. ALL- and I mean ALL- criminals react almost the same way when it comes to the stalk and attack. Why? Because its rooted in our human nature. The stalk and attack are the same around the world, which means the signals are the same, which means you can pick them up and react accordingly. How you react will determine many times the outcome of the attack.

Real life example: I have a co-worker who went to Budapest. Now Mark is a jacked dude- 5' 11", wins amateur body building contests, has multiple black belts in "normal" martial arts and is very high in both krav maga and Gracie jiu jitsu. On top of that he just has a naturally mean face- so basically NOT someone you would want to **** with. Ever.

Mark is an amateur photog, wears a rolex, etc. He was in Budapest around 9 PM and he went a little off the beaten tourist path to take some pics of a church. He said all of a sudden he violently flinched because he felt like something was thrown at his head. He looked around and found himself being paced by 5 guys on the other side of the street. When they realized they were made they began the classic fan that is a prelude to a pack attack. Mark got out of it by NOT running as that kicks in a predatory response of the attackers. Instead he squared off to the obvious leader, set himself, and with eye contact alone non-verbally let the ring leader know that it was going to be an epic fight and Mark would do his best to KILL him if noithing else. He said the stare down lasted a few seconds, the ringleader said something and they broke off the impending attack.

In this case Mark let his SA down but listened to his primal brain that said he was being hunted. he then reacted accordingly and in this case his getting ready for a throw down was obvious. Crminals dont like to a) get hurt and b) have a commotion start that will attract attention typically. They try to pick on what I term "the sheep"- sometimes though they pick on the sheepdog and then all hell breaks loose. I am a sheep dog but responsible gun owners (and really responsible people) dont go looking for trouble. Just because I carry a gun doesnt mean I go all vigilante and hit the bad sections of town to dispense justice- screw that- the problem with that is *I* run the risk of being hurt in a fight!

Carrying a gun doesnt make me paranoid- if that was the case I would be in a sandbagged house receving my pizza through an armored slot in the door! I carry because I legally can. Avergae response time in the US for 911 call is around 17 minutes. I cant carry a cop on my hip but I can a pistol. And like I said in a previous post I have carried for 27 years and drawn twice in my defence (once a mugging attempt at 2 AM near a bar, once a pack attack by three armed teenagers at a mall who decided to mug my 9 year old of his Xbox)

To finish this ramble- I have two very good friends over here who are UK citizens. Here in my state at least permanent resident aliens also have the right to get their permits. Both of them carry over here also and wish they could do the same in the UK. It is a liberating to know that your safety is in your hands and one doesnt have to barricade the bedroom and pray the cops get to you before that door is broken down!

Hope this helps
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    In the case of licensing involving firearms (concealed carry, hunting licenses, etc), training on safe handling is part of the licensing process (just like driver's education, be it formal or informal, is required for getting a driver's license).

Just a little aside, this actually varies by state. Indiana, being one of the three most lax states on gun laws, is a shall issue state that does not require any class or training to get your carry permit. That being said, I don't know anyone with a carry permit that does not regularly make it to a range. I practically grew up at the range. TN, where I lived for a few years working on my masters, does require a class for a carry permit, and had very nice public ranges. They sometimes did and sometimes did not recognize my resident Indiana permit since reciprocity laws change about every time state legislators are in session. If you are traveling and carrying, it's always good to check ahead of time if the states you will be going through like your permit or not at the moment: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Ohio and Pennsylvania require classes, so I assumed that everyone did. Good to know that's not necessarily true.

I agree, too, most of the people that I know that have taken the time and money to obtain a firearm, also takes the time to train with it.
    Michigan requires the class as well. I'm additionally required to appear before a gun board next Friday before I'll get licensed to carry concealed (but that's specific to my County).
    California requires all kinds of classes, training, jumping through hoops, and of course paying ridiculous fees. :tongue: They don't make it easy, but I am very thankful to be living in a county with a good Sheriff who will actually issue permits. The wait right now just for the initial interview at the Sheriff's Office is about 12 months.

I hear your pain. At one point my grandfather was one of only 8 people who had a Carry Permit in Contra Costa County, CA. CA is a "May-Issue" state meaning if you meet the state law reqs the Sheriff may issue you a permit but is in no way obligated to. This means each individual county has vastly different reqs for the permit, even though once issued, the permit is good for the whole state... My gramps had to have something like a $1million personal liability policy, pass a psych-eval they and polygraph they gave to police recruits, register the specific weapon he would be licensed to carry, etc... He came to visit me in NC and was amazed at all the actual freedom we have here...
  • carl4414211
    Options
    I do not use anything for protection. But if I was a women I would use "The CellBand" along with a personal alarm.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Slimithy- I grew up in Contra Costa County, but live in GA now. My husband won't travel to CA cause he can't bring his guns. He has a carry permit, and with all the crazy people out there I feel safer armed. I carry a knife and a phone when I run. This has got me thinking of pepper spray too. Tigress
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Any weapon you take may possibly be used against you.
    i have considered pepper spray, but if the wind is against you, it will zap you as well.
    so unless it's something that comes second nature to you, is readily out of your pocket and doesn't require distance (such as a gun), i think you're better off with tall posture and a bit of a crazy stare. Or a crazy dog :wink:
    Mind, if that gun, or knife, or mace gives you confidence, that might be all the deterrent you need.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sometimes the people you are trying to protect yourself from are crazier than you. Tigress:laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sigh.... These threads always make me sad
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    thought this thread might be about tampons....
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I run on a well lit path in an affluent neighborhood in a Canadian city with a large-ish dog as my companion. I don't really think I need any protection. Biggest danger is getting hit by a leisure cyclist but I keep music low enough to hear their bell.

When the days get shorter and my runs are before/after sunrise/sunset I'll probably use RunKeeper Live so if I'm late my boyfriend can check on me.

These threads always remind me why the rest of the world doesn't like America.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I lived in Canada (suburban Toronto) for several years, there is no more a guarantee of safety there than any large American city... the only real difference is that in in the US, you actually have the option of defending yourself. Your dog is your "weapon" as seen by a would be attacker....

Runkeeper will ONLY help your boyfriend find your phone, not you.

I good friend of mine used to run in a "well lit, affluent neighborhood".... in that "safe" place she was brutally attacked and raped with a gun to her head. Crazies "hunt" where there is opportunity, not where it's "dangerous" for good people. Here GPS app didn't do jack *kitten* for here that morning. Don't kid yourself, you carry a dog, she now carries a gun as dogs aren't allowed in her apartment.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Also reminds me of why I love it... I enjoy my freedoms. :) Funny though, how the "rest of the world" sure likes our money and aid.

We certainly aren't perfect, but we as a country, have given and sacrificed more to help those in need than any other country- many times over.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    at 6'1 280 pounds...I am my own protection. #jualready

^Can I take him running with me?

No kidding... do you rent your services? lol
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I run with an Ruger LCR in a Remora IWB holster. The only place that my gun doesn't go with me is into buildings where I am not allowed by law to carry it (courthouse, sheriff's office, university property).

Ahh, I woman after my own heart.... were you raised in Texas too? lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Live in NYC and I am my own protection...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'd be jealous too if I couldn't have any guns :(