Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Wow, strong women here, want to get there too! I suspect I have poor form on squat and deadlift.....need advice. I also find going in to free weight room at YMCA a bit intimidating, with regulars there, but I just do it anyway. Also, I don't have anyone to spot me when I bench....but I am getting stronger!

I recommend the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe- it's the bible of good form.

As far as being intimidated- headphones on, head held high, pretend it doesn't bother you. They'll all be intimidated of you soon! Watch them- the guys will pick up bigger weights when a girl's around watching. :happy:

Oh yes! That can be quite amusing! Don't let the guys make you intimidated. If you keep at it, you'll probably have to help them pick up their jaws from the floor when they see how fantastic you're doing :bigsmile:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    502 deadlift on Saturday (27 pound PR). Same day I couldn't hit a 300 bench, about 35 LBS under my max so I was pissed but hit a 290 floor press today (10 pound PR) so I'm feeling good about the week overall.
  • Fredrikanita
    Fredrikanita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, will have to read through everything later. But my PR would be

220Ib Deadlift 5 reps
    176Ib Squats 15 reps
    88Ib bench press 6-8 reps working on my upper body strength. :happy:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    502 deadlift on Saturday (27 pound PR). Same day I couldn't hit a 300 bench, about 35 LBS under my max so I was pissed but hit a 290 floor press today (10 pound PR) so I'm feeling good about the week overall.

congrats on the 500!

Re shoulder issues: resistance bands are awesome for shoulder dislocates as well. I do these as well as the pull aparts as part of my warm up. I also had a fall 12months ago and still have issues. EliteFTS has some really good vids on movements to do. Scap pushups, Y/T/L's etc.

And I love it when I get a new guy friend come and train at my garage gym. Last time it was a mate of mine goblet squatting 10kg & feeling it while the girls were squatting 65kg :happy:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Damn, that's a rough day when you're 35 under. Nice Floor Press though!
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Haven't had the chance to max out on anything recently but as of now current stats are

Squat: 300
    Bench: 205
    Deadlift: 295
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I squat 390, Bench Press 245, Deadlift pretty darn close to 500 pounds, and I am close 1000 pounds on the Sled. :D
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Wow, strong women here, want to get there too! I suspect I have poor form on squat and deadlift.....need advice. I also find going in to free weight room at YMCA a bit intimidating, with regulars there, but I just do it anyway. Also, I don't have anyone to spot me when I bench....but I am getting stronger!

I recommend the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe- it's the bible of good form.

As far as being intimidated- headphones on, head held high, pretend it doesn't bother you. They'll all be intimidated of you soon! Watch them- the guys will pick up bigger weights when a girl's around watching. :happy:

Oh yes! That can be quite amusing! Don't let the guys make you intimidated. If you keep at it, you'll probably have to help them pick up their jaws from the floor when they see how fantastic you're doing :bigsmile:

I concur, as awful as it sounds I always get perverse joy from outlifting the boys... I even do it in my head when I read totals here... :blushing:
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I concur, as awful as it sounds I always get perverse joy from outlifting the boys... I even do it in my head when I read totals here... :blushing:

I think most people do :wink: I know I do! I also quite enjoyed the looks this morning from the guys in the weights area while I was getting my leg press results heheh :bigsmile:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I can finally do shoulder lift thingies with 15 pound weights. Before, I did either 5 or 10. Those are really hard for me for some reason!

And, I can lift 20 more pounds of the hip abduction/adduction machine than I could when I started. My slut muscle is getting really strong!

I also did 20 reps on the Roman chair (just found out what that thing was called) with a 35 pound weight. 4 sets of that *kitten* (is this considered lifting? I'm not sure. I think it makes my back stronger, though)

Finally, my record of 12 reps on the leg raise machine. Previous best was 3.
    Shoulder stuff is really hard for me too- In my previous weightlifting days I used to avoid it because it was so hard, so obviously it never got better! (I would put it at the end of my to-do list and then always run out of time!) Awesome that you're progressing on it- it will get better and better as long as you keep with it, I promise!

Great job on everything else, too!

Totally agree with the shoulder comment. Shoulder have smaller muscles so its harder in general. Great going on the progress through.

Do you do squats? I ask because you may get more benefit overall from doing those than using the abductor/adductor machine (although the guys at the gym will not thank me for the suggestions I am sure!).

True story. I had an ankle injury that prevented me from doing squats for like 5 minutes a couple weeks back, so I got on the sex machines, and was able to max out both the adduction and abduction machines, with squats as my only training.

I was wanting to get into more of that. I'm not entirely sure how to do it, and I don't want to injure myself, so I'm going to have a friend of mine teach me how to do it. I would really like to get into that, though.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

True story. I had an ankle injury that prevented me from doing squats for like 5 minutes a couple weeks back, so I got on the sex machines, and was able to max out both the adduction and abduction machines, with squats as my only training.

Can me and billy watch .... I like watching the sex machines in use!!! hahaha

LOLOLOL
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....

:love: On my way Bean! :love:
    ^^^ I believe they're called the yes/no machine

That's a good name too. I had always heard, "good girl / bad girl" machine. :devil:

I'm a little jazzed, tomorrow I'm going to make my attempt at 405lbs on the DL. I feel ready for it and I had a good speed work session on Monday, so we'll see. I'm gonna hit 405lb and then go to Cali for a couple days and relax. :)

My friend and I call them the "slut/prude muscle" machines. Of course, my slut muscle is a lot stronger than my prude muscle.:wink::laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Can me and billy watch .... I like watching the sex machines in use!!! hahaha

LOLOLOL
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....

:love: On my way Bean! :love:
    ^^^ I believe they're called the yes/no machine

That's a good name too. I had always heard, "good girl / bad girl" machine. :devil:

I'm a little jazzed, tomorrow I'm going to make my attempt at 405lbs on the DL. I feel ready for it and I had a good speed work session on Monday, so we'll see. I'm gonna hit 405lb and then go to Cali for a couple days and relax. :)

My friend and I call them the "slut/prude muscle" machines. Of course, my slut muscle is a lot stronger than my prude muscle.:wink::laugh:

LOLS!!!

Good idea to get someone to help with form if you can. Mark Rippetoes videos on youtube are great also.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Watching this video (and applying what he teaches) made a huge difference in my squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I totally bombed out on my 405 attempt today. I got the 1st attempt about 4-inches off the ground and couldn't get it. I tried a 2nd attempt thinking that I got the cobwebs cleared out of my head now I'd get it and it didn't budge. I didn't think I'd have such a big swing in tension from 385 to 405, guess I better just hit 395 first next time. LOL! Then I tried to do some squat rep work and that sucked too, just not a good day at the gym. Oh well, leaving for California tomorrow morning, I'll get a short deload period at least.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Did you yell at the bar? That probably would have made all the difference.

385 is still pretty badass.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks. As if I didn't feel inadequate enough already...... :wink:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Bench 1 rep max

295 lbs

That's all I got.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Not a PR but still.....
    My barbell rows had started to suck really bad. My form was getting horrible so I did a voluntary deload from 150 all the way back down to 100. This morning I was at 115 and they were the most beautiful feeling 5 sets of 5 rows I've ever experienced.

Now all the girls can get perverse joy at my light weights - one of the many services I provide.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I PRd again on deadlifts. 125 now - hopefully 150 very soon!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was benching 315 - 6 reps , I do leg presses i was up to 850lbs , but too up running and killed those numbers horribly.. cardio kills muscle people!!!! i am only doing about 75% of what i used too..