Why do people not allow the "under 1200" friend requests

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    It's not the 1200 number alone, it's that combined with exercise. I had a girl as a friend that would eat 800 calories and then exercise 500 or 600, netting 200. I cannt support that. If there are people out there that think that is ok, fine. I think that is extremely unhealthy.
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Me too,I unfriend people who eat too much! or that are giving excuses every 3 days that something came up and that the are going to have a bad day!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Taking 1200 calories as a gospel figure for weightloss is not "trying to be healthy".

Neither is stuffing your face with 3,000 calories worth of fast foods & everything processed. Yet, there are people on here who still say they want to lose weight & are binging and eating excessive amounts of bad foods. You add those people, don't you? What's the difference they are both unhealthy! This site is to track calories for weight loss or gain, am I right? People ban posts or deactivated accounts, get reported because they eat to less. What about those who eat to much- that can also cause heart attacks and become fatal. Isn't that why most people are here, to lose weight? It's almost as if people are hypocrites!

I don't add those people either to be honest :P

There is a lot of negative health effects of beign underweight, malnourished, and continuing to lose more. Premenant heart damage for example.

Most people on here are trying to lose weight, but more importantly - trying to get healthy. So yes a fat person having a heart attack eating 3,000 calories a day is bad. But people aren't doing that here. They are losing weight to gain health. Underweight trying to lose even more are just increasing their chances of heart failure. Not so hypocritical. But I do see your point.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Out of curiosity, do people who won't friend 'under 1200' people also include people who do intermittent fasting in this category? For instance, people who deliberately have a couple of days a week where they eat 600 calories, but eat as many calories as they like the rest of the week.
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Taking 1200 calories as a gospel figure for weightloss is not "trying to be healthy".

Neither is stuffing your face with 3,000 calories worth of fast foods & everything processed. Yet, there are people on here who still say they want to lose weight & are binging and eating excessive amounts of bad foods. You add those people, don't you? What's the difference they are both unhealthy! This site is to track calories for weight loss or gain, am I right? People ban posts or deactivated accounts, get reported because they eat to less. What about those who eat to much- that can also cause heart attacks and become fatal. Isn't that why most people are here, to lose weight? It's almost as if people are hypocrites!
    AMEN!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I do not support fasting. I think it's stupid. But, I don't unfriend people for it.
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    The big one for me is that on this site it is looked VERY down upon to EAT less than 1200 cals but when it comes to netting 1200 cals after exercise not a lot of people do that...So it seems as if its okay to eat 1600 cals and exercise 500 but not vice versa???
  • AshaHaines
    AshaHaines Posts: 18 Member
    I just felt the need to reply to this because there seems to be so much negativity about low calorie diets on here. I think what many people seem to forget is that different people need different amounts of food to achieve the same amount of weight loss. I am a small framed girl with a height of 5'1 and I sometimes get sick of extremely tall people telling me that I will lose weight on, say, 1400 calories. For me personally, to lose weight, I need to eat a maximum of 1200 calories, and even that's pushing it most of the time. I eat healthy clean foods most of the time and if I don't exercise I can actually GAIN weight on 1200 calories. I do not have an eating disorder and never have, but I now have my diary hidden from my friends because I know many of them would comment on what is a perfectly healthy amount of food for me personally.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Out of curiosity, do people who won't friend 'under 1200' people also include people who do intermittent fasting in this category? For instance, people who deliberately have a couple of days a week where they eat 600 calories, but eat as many calories as they like the rest of the week.

One of us doesn't fully understand intermittent fasting....

(...and I'm being serious when I say I'm not entirely sure which of us that is.)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    This is why I do it.

I want people on my friend list that I can support. And I can't support chronic undereating. If that's what floats your boat, that's great, and I'm not going to criticize. But I can't *support* it. And if I can't support you, you don't need me on your friend list. End of story. It's not because I think I'm better than anyone, it's simply because in a community built on support, if I can't support you, I'm not going to drag you down. And I'm not going to help someone find tricks to keep their diet down around 500 calories a day or whatever. There are other people here who can do that if you like. I'm not one of them.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    I just felt the need to reply to this because there seems to be so much negativity about low calorie diets on here. I think what many people seem to forget is that different people need different amounts of food to achieve the same amount of weight loss. I am a small framed girl with a height of 5'1 and I sometimes get sick of extremely tall people telling me that I will lose weight on, say, 1400 calories. For me personally, to lose weight, I need to eat a maximum of 1200 calories, and even that's pushing it most of the time. I eat healthy clean foods most of the time and if I don't exercise I can actually GAIN weight on 1200 calories. I do not have an eating disorder and never have, but I now have my diary hidden from my friends because I know many of them would comment on what is a perfectly healthy amount of food for me personally.

Weird how that works.
    I am 5ft2 and eat 2,000 just to lose weight xD
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    I vary rarely eat 1200 calories, it is not because of an eating disorder or because I don't want to, it is extremely hard for me to get that many calories. I usually eat atleast 4 times a day, I try and get as close to 1200 as possible, but there are days where I barely net 800 and I just can't help it
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    I know a few people that may eat less than that and they are trying to eat more for their own health. I had dinner last Friday with a group of about six people and after I told the group how i was tracking calories to cut a few lbs This one girl proceeded to tell the group how she tracks her calories to try an gain weight.

It was as hard for her to get more calories in order to gain weight as it was for me to eat less.

We really have no idea what someone eating a small amount of food has going on in their life and what they are trying t deal with.

I never judged people before based on what they eat or do not eat and after chatting with her i understand why we should never judge others without knowing all the facts.

Just my thoughts and observations.
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Many would be here to recruit others to eat less. If you have someone who is very influenced with low self esteme the outcome could be very bad.
    Eating less than 1200 is not good. I would friend them though unless and until they tried to tout their extremes. I would try to make them see how unhealthy it is
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    One of us doesn't fully understand intermittent fasting....

(...and I'm being serious when I say I'm not entirely sure which of us that is.)

Maybe neither of us, as there are different types, which can all have positive effects. But in the recent BBC documentary that a lot of people here were talking about, one sustainable type that was suggested (and which Michael Mosley decided to do) was the one I just described.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'll be a pal but you have to accept I'm in the 1800-2200kcal park.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    To each their own. I did have a friend that only averaged 500 cals a day. Now THAT was ridonkulous.
  • I just felt the need to reply to this because there seems to be so much negativity about low calorie diets on here. I think what many people seem to forget is that different people need different amounts of food to achieve the same amount of weight loss. I am a small framed girl with a height of 5'1 and I sometimes get sick of extremely tall people telling me that I will lose weight on, say, 1400 calories. For me personally, to lose weight, I need to eat a maximum of 1200 calories, and even that's pushing it most of the time. I eat healthy clean foods most of the time and if I don't exercise I can actually GAIN weight on 1200 calories. I do not have an eating disorder and never have, but I now have my diary hidden from my friends because I know many of them would comment on what is a perfectly healthy amount of food for me personally.

Yes!! This is why I get so fed up with the "eat more to weigh less" people who stalk these forums. It's great if the obese people on here can lose weight eating 1500-2000 calories, but that's just not gonna fly when you're short and not overly large. I personally could never lose weight eating anything over 1000 because I'm 5'3 and have always been in the healthy weight range, so it's harder for me to lose weight than some people.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Because everyone can choose on their own who to allow and not allow to be their "friends".
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    I used to add everyone. I would accept friend requests from girls with EDs because I wanted to help.

After reading posts like these:
    Ugh I ate way too much (300 cals) I fell like i should throw up :(
    I cannot believe i ate so much today! I am a fat cow (like 800 calories)
    Calorie goals around 200 a day with mostly cigs and diet soda
    Seeing posts about them getting out of the hospital
    much worse

So much self hate and self harm. It made me get too worried. They didn't want my help. Too far in. They wanted support for their eating
    ^This. I don't have any "I won't accept your friend request if you do X or don't do Y" rules, but I have deleted "friends" I just could not support because of their unhealthy choices -- it stresses me out to see them harming themselves, and to see all their friends cheering them on. I can't be a part of it, and if I don't think I can change it, it doesn't need to be in my life. I've also deleted people who were all about the drama, "woe is me," and full of excuses. Basically, if you can't support me, and if I can't support you, and if you're stressing me out, well, then what's the point?