Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I "net" less than 1200 often because I don't believe in eating exercise calories back but make up for it on other days. I prefer going by a weekly deficit though.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I dunno about everyone else or every "under 1200" person, but the last time (and only time) I had someone like that they were nothing but drama (about EVERYTHING not just weight)

They were probably cranky from not eating enough. :laugh:

So true!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have no clue. But it irks me that someone would assume I have an eating disorder because I eat less than 1200 calories a day. I'm overweight so I feel like it should be obvious I haven't got an eating disorder because if I do, I'm doing it wrong. And before I get the "If you can't eat 1200 calories a day then why are you fat?!" questions, it's simple. The fact is, I'm just not as hungry anymore and I make sure not to eat unless I'm actually hungry. I grew up in a "polish off your plate" household where I had to keep eating until I finished my meal regardless of whether I was still hungry and I've only very recently been able to stop that habit. I'm not willing to get back into the habit of eating when I am not hungry just to meet a calorie goal. I've also started eating healthier foods that are low in calories and super filling (as opposed to eating a bunch of Oreos which are high calorie and obviously not as filling as a meal; which is not to say that I still don't have an Oreo every now and then because come on, Oreos!) and I exercise a lot more-- whenever I do cardio work outs, it kills my appetite for like, 5 hours after I'm done and decreases my appetite overall. I try to eat to my goal but sometimes I don't. My doctor has told me that as long as I feel physically fine, it's not a problem so I'll stick with that advice. I don't feel guilty if I have a cookie or ice cream and I certainly don't try to tell anyone they need to eat less than 1200 calories a day.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you don't care about a slowed down metabolism, whatever. I, for one, would like to eat regular meals like a normal person while losing the same amount of weight as those on these super low calorie diets.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4.5, (52, if that makes any difference MFP has given me 1200 cal per day. I sometimes eat a little more, sometimes a little less. I am not hungry, I enjoy eating, I am actually enjoying losing the weight, even if it is slowly. I excercise a little and have little intention (or inclination) of doing hours and hours of excercise each week that I know I would not be able to maintain.

Am I doing this wrong, which catagory do I fall into?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think that people who have eating disorders and aren't trying to get help for it should be on a site like this, and I wouldn't want them on my friends list. I get annoyed with people talking about it all the time honestly. Hate on me if you will, but it's my opinion.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i like to add people with similar interests and goals, that way i can be a better supporter since i'm going through it with them too. i recently deleted a few people who were constantly going under 1200 because 1, i dont need to see that **** its not conductive to a healthy lifestyle and for me it would be the same as saying 'great job for smoking that whole pack of cigs!' and 2, when i see people dip below i usually ask whats up and try to encourage them to do better, as i hope they would encourage me to do better if i had a bad day, unfortunately a lot of these under 1200s want to stay that way and dont like it so i'm not gonna waste my breath.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of the 1200 calorie bashing. I'm BARELY 5'0, which really means 4'11 3/4. I don't need as many calories as a woman who is 5'6.

I eat regular meals...I often eat more than 1200 but I definitely have my days where I'm in the 1100-1200 calorie range. Again, I don't NEED as many calories as a lot of people.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of the 1200 calorie bashing. I'm BARELY 5'0, which really means 4'11 3/4. I don't need as many calories as a woman who is 5'6.

I eat regular meals...I often eat more than 1200 but I definitely have my days where I'm in the 1100-1200 calorie range. Again, I don't NEED as many calories as a lot of people.

I didn't know height had anything to do with it :embarassed:
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I'm barely 5'2 with a bmr of only 1280 and I eat1550-1750 to lose. If you read back through the thread you will see there are many short ladies eating plenty of calories and still losing.

Being short doesn't have to mean eating ultra low calories.
  • Bonny619
    Options
    I don't find 1200 to be ultra low. So I guess we can disagree.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wow! I posted this late last night (GMT) and it's at 5 pages now. Thanks for al the answers - a lot to read and think about.
  • birdieaz
    Options
    I don't find 1200 to be ultra low. So I guess we can disagree.

That wasn't your original point and whether you believe 1200 is ultra low or not is irrelevant. Your argument was that being short meant you HAD to eat low calories, I and many other women on this board prove otherwise.
  • Bonny619
    Options
    No. My argument was NOT that you HAD to eat low calories because you were short. I was stating that I do not need as many calories as someone who is quite a few inches taller than me. That's a fact. I physically do not need the same amount of calories.

You are reading too much into what I wrote. I'm happy you can eat 1550-1750 and still be able to lose, that's awesome. As someone who is barely 5'0 tall, my body would not lose on that. I know that. Maybe you are crazy active...I am not and that's my choice.

I can go at this with you all night if you'd like.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the "under 1200" people, but the last time I had a pro-eating disorder person on my feed, it really wasn't helpful to my goals at all, and was actually pretty triggering in terms of my own mental health issues. I don't need that sort of toxic environment on a site that I'm using as a tool to improve my life.
  • birdieaz
    Options
    No. My argument was NOT that you HAD to eat low calories because you were short. I was stating that I do not need as many calories as someone who is quite a few inches taller than me. That's a fact. I physically do not need the same amount of calories.

You are reading too much into what I wrote. I'm happy you can eat 1550-1750 and still be able to lose, that's awesome. As someone who is barely 5'0 tall, my body would not lose on that. I know that. Maybe you are crazy active...I am not and that's my choice.

I can go at this with you all night if you'd like.

I was merely clarifying, there is nothing to "go at" although it's rather interesting that you should refer to a simple conversation as such. Ah well to each their own...no need to be so tense.

edited: not so smart smartphone.
  • Glassblaster
    Options
    I dont want to friend someone that is rigid in their opinions. I was at 1200 and my doctor told me to drop to 1000. So I guess they wouldn't friend me, even though it was my doctor of 30 years that is guiding me. I don't need closed minded people any more than they need me.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, maybe it bothers them. If they're not okay with people that eat below 1,200, then I guess that's their reason. I simply do not mind, people have all type of disorders, and this might be a weightloss site, but it's also a site for people to gain too. I guess it just depends on the person, but I personally accept all friend requests, even if they might eat disturbingly low, least I can do is encourage them to eat more.