WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,085 Member
    Options
    Good day! I am having extreme issues staying connected to MFP today. Seems to be the only site that's problematic therefore, just a quick update. After a week filled with activity, one serving of salmon, and other pretty good eating, the scale rewarded me today with a 3 lb loss. Extreme happiness here. I guess I'll have to try salmon again next week. Come to think of it, that is the only meat/fish I had last week. I usually eat vegetarian. In any case, I'll take the win and move on.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and upcoming week. :drinker: :drinker:

I thank you all so much for being here. You are lovely ladies.

Lin
  • ShawnaElston
    ShawnaElston Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. I've been reading through this thread and think it is the one for me! I am happy to see so many awesome encouraging each other and offering such great advice, shoulders when needed, and encouragement. I hope to take part in all of that. My name is Shawna and I now have just under 100 lbs to lose to goal.

I am looking forwarding to reading your posts every day. TTFN
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is a beautiful afternoon here in NE. Nice sunny and only about 75 degrees. Had the windows open since last night and the house feels great.

Kathy-Hope your toe is feeling better. Glad that you had the stitches removed. I never heard of Zookinesis but will check it out on the web since you say it is so much fun.

Barbie-Sounds like you had a great time at the fair. Line dancing is so much fun and it sounds like you had a blast.

JP-floating down the river in an inner tube sounds like great fun. Hope you had a wonderful time.

Jan-Congrats on your 18 days being smoke free. Loved your telling us about missing your teacher orientation day-good thing your principle is so nice. I miss a faculty development day once and my dean was not too impressed with me.

Lin-Wow a 3lb loss. That is terrific.

I love reading and am trying to keep up with everyone.

Well, I am feeling a little off today. Took my grandson to college on Friday; kept busy yesterday during the day; brought the dog back home and had two of my grandchildren spend the night. Kids have gone home and the house is very quite again. I guess this is going to take a little getting used to. Well off to do some laundry and take the dog for a walk. Should keep me busy for a little while.

Hope everybody has a great day!!

Debbie D.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all
    (and happy belated birthday Linda, it sounds like it was good even if the hubby forgot).

I am now a salmon fan - I had it again last night (2 nights in a row) and posted a 1 lb loss today Who knew? Good thing I love salmon (actually any fish).

Lin - 57 degrees sounds almost chilly. Here we're having a heat wave, well higher than usual for us although the summers usually are quite warm, and you're having cool weather in the midwest - how weird our weather is getting.

Jb - impressed with your veggies, I'm just freezing yellow and green beans (yesterday and today) in little 1-2 serving packets so I remember summer in the snow season.

Meg - cucumber mint infused water is just thin sliced cukes and bruised mint in cold water and ice cubes. Gets better as it sits longer. My daughter gifted me with one of those pretty etched glass water dispensers so I am motivated to fill it up with a couple of quarts and drink, drink, drink. Lemon slices with mint is great too.

Cindy - I used to have an electric mower but kept running over the cord, finally just gave up. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Back to my gas guzzler unfortunately.

Amanda, this is me on my hands and knees bowing and saying "unworthy, unworthy". I am totally in awe of your commitment to your weight loss and success.

Barbie, sounds like your dancing and fair was great fun. I love fairs but haven't been to one for a few years (ever since the kids left home). I always loved the handicrafts and needlework (not to mention the mini doughnuts). Something about fairs always takes me back to my childhood and how we looked forward to the fall fair just before school started again.

I didn't end up laying in the hammock for long yesterday. It was so hot I took pity on the fur family and took them down to the creek for a cooling swim. The creek has really dropped in the last few days though and Rex didn't do much swimming, he discovered he could fetch sticks by wading on his tippy-toes. Evie spent all her time sticking her head under water to try catching the minnows. She has quite an appetite - eats all the low hanging raspberries and grazes on the red currents, and I caught her this morning eating the snap beans off the bushes.

Today I am pumping up the bicycle tires and going for a ride. Looking forward to checking in later and seeing how everyone's Sunday was.
    Lila
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Beautiful Sunday all,

Just popping in to say HI, will read more later have to prep my food for the work week. We just did a bike ride around Chatfield Lake, and we didn't like it at all. Way too many hills and just not very pretty at all.

My allergies are really acting up I just want to scratch out my eyes:grumble: and the runny nose is just such a bother.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Will catch up on the reading tomorrow and see how everyone is...hope you are all drinking plenty of water, getting in some exercise and logging your food:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Happy Sunday to all! Today the weather is pleasant here too. Already been out and about, Now being lazy but hey it gives me a chance to catch up on all of the posts here. I really do enjoy this group very supportive.

@meg -- The fires here the ones that are still active and not contain at all our in Pine and Featherville area and near Stanley area. These have been talk about on the national news with Brian Williams NBC. The one by Garden Valley is almost contained. I have friends in Jerome too. :smile:
    @Dee--what a fun time with your Granddaughter. Yes that is our Bella Jo we are very happy she is part of our family.
    @Yay again Lin on your success-- just enjoy it.
    @Barbie -- we had our county fair but our state fair is happening now too. Lots of fun and sounding like you are having great weather to go with it.
    @michelle Yes what is the secret to freezing veggies and fruit. I have been thinking myself.
    @JB your float trip sounds fun. We have it where you can float the Boise river we normally go once a summer but have not made it this year.

Well the weekend is going ok Saturday went to the Y our local one is still new its just my 2nd time going last week and this week. It has the normal pools but they also have what I call a lazy river type with the current. I just love it. Manage to go around 30 minutes myself and than ran into a friend. Went back with her and did another 15 minutes and I feel great today. Wish I could go everyday.

I am 52 when I was going to turn 50 I dread the thought all I could see was decline and decay. I am so obese, could not move around, we had to start building our finacial house again. Now coming to terms its a mindset if thats what I think than its what I will get. If I choose to see this as a new beginning a time of personnal growth (not in weight less of that plz :smile: ) and see the many blessings in my life , the next decades to come God willing in my life seeing the Brightness not in a Pollyanna way but you know ,,, Sorry get off this now, Just taking stock.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.. :flowerforyou:
    Liz :drinker: don't forget water
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    sorry 1 more meant I walk/jog around it, Fun the pool thing,,
    Liz
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon lovely ladies--

Back from church, dinner and cleanup finished.

We went to see son, d-i-l and grandsons yesterday. We caught up with the boys activities since they started school on Thursday. It was too cool to swim so I thought we'd end up hanging around the house all day with no exercise. :grumble:

The weather was absolutely beautiful so we picked up lunch and went to Elephant Rock State Park (all the rocks are made out of granite) and walked and climbed rocks for about 2 1/2 hrs. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It was a wonderful family day. :heart: :heart: We are so blessed.

Have a great Sunday. Have to leave for choir practice soon.

Remember to :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Micki
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just made Jambalya(sp?) for dinner with brown rice lots of peppers and onions and 3 different meats. Nice and hot like the DH likes it.
    Meg-I don't know how to post pics. But I made 3 pendant sets today.
    Lin- Good going on the loss. I hope I can say the same tomorrow.
    Tigress
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    @ Micki - what part do you sing? I sang in the choir for many years, but not the last 4 or so. We're church shopping and that is always a great way to meet new people and fit it quickly. I just don't think I want the commitment for every week rehearsal and every Sunday service anymore.

Folk Fest was a lot of fun, though nothing I could afford to bring home. Most every booth seemed to have art by 'cornbread', which I will describe as mostly paintings of various animals with giant black round eyes and birds with lots of polka dot marks for feathers. He is a current artist, but it was just everywhere.

My favorites were the works of a fellow who uses only recycled flooring, another person that did carving and burning designs into doors, bed foot boards, etc. and a Christmas booth that had interesting wreaths. One was an old bike wheel with a flowing metal bow, another was paint can lids in a circle, another was a green garden hose looped in a round shape, etc. Very imaginative. The flooring guy had some fascinating landscapes with layered linoleum that had been salvaged from a building that was being torn down. Due to the medium, of course, it also had a lot of dimension. A lot of the booths tended to be repeat items, but it is always interesting to note how differently individuals can view the same item in terms of an art supply. There were also quilts made from painted wood pieces.

While I tend to think of folk art as colorful and cheerful I was reminded how many things are a bit bizarre and macabre. I admit I just passed those booths by. Oh, and those jugs and vases with creepy faces? Didn't look at those either! (I also won't watch horror movies, close my eyes for vampire type things, and those TV commercials where one face morphs to another creep me out too! Sissy I may be, but I'd rather follow Philippians: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.)

They had one booth with very grey monochromatic images that were beautifully done, but the subject matter reminded me of pictures of mining life in Appalachia in the 1920s and 1930s. A small boy, skinny and a bit crooked, smoking a cigarette and a too-old, tired look on his face, worn-out looking women on porches, etc.

So that was yesterday afternoon. Today after church I did some laundry and then went to the Y this afternoon. And tonight, purely in scientific interest, I will have salmon!

Gail
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Love reading your posts. I am exhausted today because yesterday we rode for 3 1/2 hours then went out with friends and didn't get home until 1 in the morning. It was a rare night out for us because I still have an 11 and 12 year old at home. I was surprised at how little my entire dinner added up in calories.

@YardTigress - you made jambalaya tonight (with brown rice - that takes forever!!!) and I made red beans and rice. We must have the same roots.

This is kind of a tough evening for me because I did cook the red beans and rice (actually I eat mine over bread). But I swear I could just keep filling up my bowl until I blew up. I'm going to go to bed early to keep from eating any more.

What is the name of that monitor I keep hearing ya'll talk about? The one that even monitors how many calories you're burning when you're sleeping?
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Happy early evening ladies:flowerforyou:

I seem to not know what to do with myself at the moment. I could be cleaning something I'm sure, but....just don't want to:noway: .
    Thought I might as well catch up on the posts again.

Tigress:smile: I would love to see pictures of your jewelry too. However I have no clue how to post pictures either.

Meg:smile: it feels "fall-ish" here in NC too, however it is also gray and rainy. I think the temp today stayed in the upper 60's. I thought I might actually sleep in this morning but the downpour woke me up at 5:30:ohwell: . However it has been a good afternoon to nap:laugh: .

Carolyn:smile: Asian turkey meatball sounds pretty good, I don't really like turkey, but maybe with the seasonings in them I could do that. I'm going to check out Skinnytaste.

Lin:smile: congrats on 3 pounds gone!!!! Doing a happy dance for you!!!!

Shawna:smile::flowerforyou: Welcome to the greatest group of ladies on MFP!!!! Come in often and chat with us!!!!

Debbie D.:smile: sunny and 75, I'm jealous!!!!! That is perfect weather!!!!!!:glasses: :happy:

Lila:smile: salmon two nights in a row, I could do that, I love seafood, and salmon is my favorite fish:heart: . Congrats on your one pound gone!!!! I laughed reading about your dogs, I could just picture a fur baby eating minnows, raspberries, and beans:laugh: .
    My fur baby doesn't like to get her feet in the wet grass, so when it's raining or early in the morning when its dewy she will only "go" on the driveway:huh: , at least it's easy to get up, and it's not in my house!!!!

Liz:smile: we all take stock of our lives at one point or another, sometimes many times. I went through several years of horrible depression, I mean HORRIBLE! I woke up one day and I thank God for this, I finally felt somewhat normal, and actually happy. I choose every day to be happy, and to be content with my life, to love what I have and I'm grateful for all my blessings. Life happens and we get to choose what our reactions are going to be, it took me a long time to realize that. I will share my story with everyone one of these days. The reason I haven't before is I've had problems with stalkers in the past, 3 of them, 2 have passed on, and the other I've not heard from in about 3 years, I feel pretty safe on this weight loss forum board, especially since it's just women!!!! Just keep your head up, and know life is for living, and enjoying every moment you have.

Micki:smile: your park trip sounds like so much fun!!!!

Gail:smile: Quilts made from wood pieces??? Sounds interesting, the entire festival sounds interesting. I don't like those creepy face vases and jugs either:noway: !!!

Well, I had good morning, I met my friends at Starbucks, chatted and got caught up with everyone. I went to the grocery store and about the time I got out of the car it came a downpour, I got soaking wet on the way in, and of course it's always cold in the grocery store, I was freezing!!!!! I had to change clothes when I got home I was still drippy. Tonight I am having a bowl of veggie soup, and maybe a salad. I'm going to be way under my calorie goal for today, I guess every once in awhile it's okay.

Have a wonderful night everyone!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Nothing eventful to report, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! That just means I haven't banged my toe yet! I did make it to the grocery store although I rode around in one of their scooters. I stocked up on lots of fresh fruits and vegetables while hubby was adding cookies, cake mixes and ice cream to the cart.:frown: Luckily, what he bought, I don't have cravings for, so not worried about eating those!

Meg- I can so relate to supervising your DH with bathtime because I can finally shower, if I wear a latex glove over my foot (doc's orders), so mine has to make sure I don't break my neck getting in and out of the tub!

Carolyn- That's great that you got a surprise visit from your daughter! I know I never appreciated my mom until I was a mom myself. Something I'll always regret! I have heard about the skinnytaste website but haven't checked it out yet. I'm going to soon!

Barbie- I'm glad your line dancing went so well and that you had a good audience! :smile:

I seen several of you mention the benefits of eating salmon lately and was thinking of making some soon. The only time I have ever had salmon was salmon patties, my dad made them alot growing up and I've made them for my kids. So today, out of the blue, our neighbor gave us some fresh salmon that they just caught and filleted yesterday! Can't wait to try it, I think I'm going to make it on my Foreman grill.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Kathy:drinker:
  • bphat2012
    Options
    first post. Interesting to find a group of women feeling so like me. I sit here and read about taking stock and what blessings I need to be focusing on and it helps me to feel inspired and not so alone. I look forward to checking in on these post as my weight loss journey continues. Great week to all.:smile:
  • mommie55
    mommie55 Posts: 23
    Options
    Sunday.....Late afternoon .......No Grands....hubby sleeping....me staring at the bird feeder wondering why they can eat so much and not put on weight:ohwell:
    Hubby took me out for dinner to Wendy's :love: ...I did not totally blow my diet :bigsmile:
    We bought a Wii and the Wii fit so now I can do yoga in the privacy of my own home :blushing: Hopefully the grands will not discover it as I will never be able to use it when they are here :cry:
    I have a few questions.... Would love some input....
    Question.........Which is better....Real Butter....or Margarine....when you are dieting????...I have heard the butter is but would like some input from other dieters.
    Question........do you have to exercise every day to lose??......Or is the smart thing to do ....to skip a day to allow muscles to heal???? I am starting a new Exercise program and have been warned it can be really hard on my body .....would like some input
    Question.......Is drinking Green tea the same as drinking water when counting fluids for the day???....:drinker: ...I drink a lot of green tea...plain ,no sweetener, or lemon:drinker:
    Any help you all can give me would be appreciated
    thank you for letting me ask :happy:
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday , I love reading the posts!!!!!.........thanks for the encouragement :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Meg - not quite sure what exactly you mean when you say that your fruit frozen comes out soggy. Whenever you freeze fruit, when it thaws it won't be exactly like if the fruit was fresh. That's (of course) because of the ice that is in it. The frozen fruit I have I use in my cereal or yogurt, places where a little extra fruit juice is no big deal. Frozen grapes are like mini-ice pops to me. You can usually bake with frozen fruit, but first you need to thaw it and someone (I forget who) here said that you should coat it in flour before baking with it, probably to absorb any residual juices. For this reason I don't care for asparagus frozen. I don't mind most veges frozen, but not asparagus. I cut up my fruit and freeze it initially on a cookie sheet, then when it is frozen I take it off and put the pieces into a container. This way, when I take it out of the freezer, I can take 1 cup of strawberries at a time.

It rained this morning, but Vince was out by the pool earlier and he said the ground isn't real wet. They're calling for thunderstorms tonight, but we shall see.

Did about 50 minutes of a pilates DVD today. Tomorrow is yoga and then the extremepump class.

I try to do most of my cooking for the week on Sundays, this way I just need to heat things up during the week. I made a pork roast yesterday that we'll have thursday. Today I made fudge to give the workers along with low fat chocolate cookies. I don't know how they'll like them since they are low fat. Personally, I thought they were pretty good. Made a sunomono salad for bunco Tues. Sunomono salad is basically quinoa, cucumbers and then crab on top. Got the recipe from Clean Eating Magazine.

Carolyn - what a wonderful surprise! Asian turkey meatballs sounds really good. Post the recipe.

Shawna - so glad you joined us! Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Went outside and after all those days of 90+ temp. (I was getting used to it), it's almost downright chilly....lol

Gail - how did the person make a quilt from wood pieces? I don't like snakes. If one comes on TV or is in the movie, I close my eyes. Just can't stand them.

DeeDee - I know what you mean about how cold it can be in a grocery store. I keep an old sweater in my trunk just to wear in the store. It's so warm outside and so cold in there. Yea, every once in a while it's OK to be low on calories. I was low today, but then again, sometimes I wonder if I underestimated something. So it'll probably all even out in the end.

bphat - welcome, come back often. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

mommie - everything I've read says that butter is better for your body. If you strength train, you really should give your muscles 24-48 hrs to recover. The exception to that would be if you were working only upper body one day and then lower body the next. In that case, the muscles in the upper body are resting. I always count my unsweetened decaf green tea in my water consumption. Caffeine dehydrates you, but if it's decaffeinated, then I do. Oh, I know that if something is decaf there is still a small amount of caffeine in it. But in the grand scope that negligable (?sp)

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How do you join this group.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    @Michele - wooden pieces were painted and fashioned into the shapes of a quilt pattern, just like fabric would be. They were glued onto a backer board. Have you ever gone to the National Quilt Museum is in Paducah, KY? Oh my, what amazing quilts are on display!

@ItzPSGina - no formal joining required. Just post and follow. I'm a newbie as far as posting, though I lurked for quite a while first!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My goodness I feel like I missed a hundred posts! we are a talkative bunch and I love it!! I have my lunch all ready to take with me to work, I logged in 3 walks today, had a rest day for the circuit and weights. felt good to be lazy in the morning rains today. Storm woke me at 5:30 and I lazed around watching old Star Trek episodes on netflix. LOL

I'm really looking forward to going back to work tomorrow and getting away from the 20 something drama children of my house. Tomorrow is weigh in day for me and I'm hoping my couple of stress filled, processed food semi filled days don't snag me up. I ate healthy and clean and whole foods including the best eggplant from my pitiful garden. IN fact the leftovers are in my lunch for tomorrow!

I was outside while someone was smoking and I could smell it across the yard. First thought in my mind was "I smelled like that when I smoked? I'm so sorry people I was around!!"

Happy Sunday evening to everyone and may your Mondays be successful and peaceful!!

Jan - 19 days smoke free and thankful for it.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good evening all,
    it was a lovely day, turned out to be not quite as hot as predicted. Now if they are wrong about the thunderstorms, I will be happy. I actually like lightning (but my Evie doesn't) but I worry about the possibility of new wildfires.

Gail, I also don't like those commercials that morph faces. I don't know what it is but they make me uncomfortable. And thank you for the citation. I found it very uplifting and will hold that thought as my weekly focus

DeeDee - I think we might have an awful lot in common. I spent a number of years under the radar and depression can easily follow stalking episodes. I also chose to be an optimist and believe that I can enjoy life and bring positive things to the people I know.

Michele - how on earth can you make fudge for the workers and not want it........ARGHHHH

Anyway, off to the salmon dinner again - good thing I love salmon (grew up on Vancouver Island so fish and seafood are an addiction for me).

Oh yes, bike ride was fun - short but fun, evidently I have a slow leak in one tire (so I had an excuse for walking it up that last hill home - lol).

Hope you evening is good ladies and talk to you tomorrow. Did I tell you I really like this community....

Lila