101 reasons Carbs are great and should be part of your diet

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Just the reply I was expecting! A statement was made that you can't be a low carb athlete, I offered proof to the contrary yet i'm the jerk. This whole thread is inflammatory and was made with the intention to incite fights with low carb, no carb people so you are guilty of the very same thing you are accusing me of.

I'm sorry, a thread saying carbs are delicious and a good source of energy is an "inflammatory" thread?!?!?! You have no idea what my intentions were, please speak for yourself.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's only inflammatory if you have an axe to grind about low carb and come into this thread to do it. To the guy who posted this crap, who asked you? Do you have anything to add about why carbs are great? if not, get lost!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I agree! Even as a diabetic, I think carbohydrates still have a place in a diet (not a diet diet, just everyday eating).
    Agree coming from a fellow diabetic.

Also our muscles need carbs & more after a weight lifting workout.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Give me fat.

1. Fat is a great source of energy.
    2. Fat is more delicious than carbs will ever be.

Bacon > Crackers.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The USDA food pyramid recommends an ungodly amount of grains.
    Yea, the US Dept. of AGRICULTURE recommends consuming ungodly amounts of US AGRICULTURAL product.

Fruit is my personal favorite carbohydrate source, maybe someday we will turn more corn and wheat fields into peach orchards, so the USDA can recommend more fruit.

....except that they don't.

The food pyramid was discontinued and has been replaced with Myplate.

If you're gonna make fun of the gov't recommendations, AT LEAST keep up on what the gov't recommendations are....

As far as the thread goes, I'm all about the carbs, was when I was losing (75 lb), was when maintaining, and am now that I'm bulking. Above and beyond basic carbs I like sugar. Rocket fuel for the human body. My ability to exercise 2 hours a day and really hit it hard would be seriously compormised if I didn't eat a lot of carbs.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.
    Sounds like you have never had a fresh-off-the-tree, ripe, in season peach. Or mango.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    The USDA food pyramid recommends an ungodly amount of grains.
    Yea, the US Dept. of AGRICULTURE recommends consuming ungodly amounts of US AGRICULTURAL product.

Fruit is my personal favorite carbohydrate source, maybe someday we will turn more corn and wheat fields into peach orchards, so the USDA can recommend more fruit.

....except that they don't.

The food pyramid was discontinued and has been replaced with Myplate.

If you're gonna make fun of the gov't recommendations, AT LEAST keep up on what the gov't recommendations are....

As far as the thread goes, I'm all about the carbs, was when I was losing (75 lb), was when maintaining, and am now that I'm bulking. Above and beyond basic carbs I like sugar. Rocket fuel for the human body. My ability to exercise 2 hours a day and really hit it hard would be seriously compormised if I didn't eat a lot of carbs.
    The comment i was replying to was referring to the food pyramid. This was shown in the quoted comments. If you are going to comment, AT LEAST know what you are commenting on. Reading is not hard.

Anyway, the USDA has changed their recommendations many times over the years. When i was a kid, it was the basic 4 food groups. The USDA still advocates eating US Agricultural products, and not necessarily what is good for you. "Myplate" STILL RECOMMENDS EATING GRAINS, in fact it's a full quarter of the plate. Man, seriously, all this information is out there. Looking it up first before you comment might help.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.
    Sounds like you have never had a fresh-off-the-tree, ripe, in season peach. Or mango.

I dooo love fresh fruit, and a good orange is amazing... but give me savory over sweet. Ribeye over ice cream.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.

I dooo love fresh fruit, and a good orange is amazing... but give me savory over sweet. Ribeye over ice cream.
    The main source of calories in Ice Cream is often time fat. For example, in one of my favorite flavors of hippy Vermont Ice Cream, Cherry Garcia, fat is over 50% of the calories.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Why do people care if I eat carbs?? If you want carbs, eat them! Why do you care if I don't? I don't care if you do eat them. To each their own. I am a runner and feel great without carbs. Just sayin...
  • wellbert
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.

The main source of calories in Ice Cream is often time fat. For example, in one of my favorite flavors of hippy Vermont Ice Cream, Cherry Garcia, fat is over 50% of the calories.

Well that's true LOL. Give me ribeye over fat free froyo then. ;)
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great ... when they're green veggies, full of fiber and delicious nutrients! That's pretty much my entire carb intake these days and I feel amazing. I'll leave the processed junk, sugar, and nasty grains for people who are ok with that kind of thing. I'm no longer choosing to feel like crap after I eat that stuff, no matter how delicious it may be in the moment. Feeling sluggish and bloated and with only desire to be on the sofa playing on the computer is not a good trade-off for a yummy meal, which is exactly what happens to me after I eat breads, pastas, sugars.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    because if you don't incorporate them in your lifestyle and learn to live with them, you'll feel deprived.......... and the minute you introduce them back in......... guess what..................... ALL THE WEIGHT COMES BACK......!!!

and then some!
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    lol according to carb lovers I have no energy and can't work out. weird, I swear that I do... hmm. *exits convo before she gets attacked*

<3 yes
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    *looks at ticker*

Riiiiiiiiiight. Whatever makes you feel better!

Are you calling me fat?! ?! :sad:
    This is the internet- I thought people were supposed to be nice here!!!!!:sad:

You totally just made my day! I love sarcasm!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE NOT THE ENEMY!!!

Reason NUMER 1: Your brain NEEDS carbs to function properly.
    No one likes a stupid lethargic person.

I'm annoyed of how uneducated some people are about food and how it serves their body.

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html#brainenergy
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I tend to be in a much better mood and feel fuller when I eat high-fat, and well you have to cut the calories somewhere.. but I do agree that carbs are delicious. David Mitchell says it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMrSCnQnnk
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Carbs contain fiber usually and fiber is good for you and helps you feel fuller longer

Carbs contain lots of nutrients.

The phytochemicals found in carbs can be very beneficial to your health
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    mmm, carbs.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I tend to be in a much better mood and feel fuller when I eat high-fat, and well you have to cut the calories somewhere.. but I do agree that carbs are delicious. David Mitchell says it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMrSCnQnnk
    Haha.
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    snowgrrl, your brain can use ketones for energy. It isn't the preferred energy source but low-carb doesn't mean lethargic. Also, your body can turn protein into glucose (gluconeogenesis). http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

My pet peeve: people who have vociferous opinions and are annoyed at the ignorance of others when they themselves are uninformed