Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Preaching doesn't do anything but put people off.

If you don't like preaching, don't go to church. This is a thread about dietary choices, and if you don't want to discuss them, you're in the wrong place.
    You are the one who is preaching here. My dietary choices are not your business but you seem to think it is. Not everything is about you, and you can't control what other people do with their lives.

Again, if your dietary choices are not my business, then why the Hell are you on a public forum talking about them?
    There are other people in this thread besides you. This is not a thread about judging what others do with their lives. It's a freaking question. Are you a troll or just a jerk?
    We are having a discussion. You seem to think it's an invitation to tell other people what they should and should not do. This is not a socially normal thing to do and will not earn you any respect.

Exactly what kind of discussion about diets doesn't involve talking about the relative merits of different diets? And who are you to call people jerks? Ever do any research on diets? Or on anything?
    Talking and attempting to control what people do are two very different things. You might want to practice a bit of diplomacy.
    By the way, you must burn a lot of calories jumping to conclusions.

I am mainly a vegetarian myself, and have a Master's degree in biology.

Cool. I have three degrees, none in biology, but I have had a lot of Bio courses.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater after all we are omnivores. I eat less now than I used to do, which is a lifestyle thing and I find that red meats particualrly beef can be quite tough unless you get expensive cuts soi i tend to eat a lot more chicken or if beef then mince.

Trying to make myslef love vegetables and gradually getting there
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Trying to make myslef love vegetables and gradually getting there

Good for you!
  • annadolezalova
    annadolezalova Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me it's unnatural to eat meat and I also don't eat meat for religious reasons.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    For me it's unnatural to eat meat. We don't have the teeth or digestive system of a carnivore.

Quite right. Physiologically we are herbivores. Here is an article by the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology (I know, another pseudo scientific rag) :

William C. Roberts MD has five decades of experience in the field of cardiology, written over 1300 scientific publications, a dozen cardiology textbooks, and has been editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology for a quarter of a century. He is arguably the most highly regarded cardiologist in the world today.

In his 2008 editorial "The Cause of Atherosclerosis", published in the peer reviewed journal Nutrition in Clinical Practice, Roberts states that there is a single, sole cause to heart disease: cholesterol. If your total cholesterol is below 150 and LDL is below 70, you are essentially heart attack proof. What is the cause of high cholesterol? Saturated fat and animal products:

Atherosclerosis is easily produced in nonhuman
    herbivores (eg, rabbits, monkeys) by feeding them
    a high cholesterol (eg, egg yolks) or high saturated
    fat (eg, animal fat) diet… And atherosclerosis was not produced in a
    minority of rats fed these diets, it was produced in
    100% of the animals! Indeed, atherosclerosis is one
    of the easiest diseases to produce experimentally,
    but the experimental animal must be an herbivore.
    It is not possible to produce atherosclerosis in a
    carnivore…"

He elaborates in an earlier editorial:

It is virtually impossible, for example, to produce atherosclerosis in a dog even when 100 grams of cholesterol and 120 grams of butter fat are added to its meat ration. (This amount of cholesterol
    is approximately 200 times the average amount that human beings in the USA
    eat each day!). (The American Journal of Cardiology, 1990, vol. 66,896.)

He then utterly annihilates the human omnivore myth in a single sentence. here it is:

***Because humans get atherosclerosis, and atherosclerosis
    is a disease only of herbivores, humans also must be
    herbivores.***

At once the insanity of our times comes into razor sharp relief.

Some may debate whether cholesterol is the sole cause of heart disease. It does not matter, the fact remains that atherosclerosis occurs only in herbivores.

If humans were physiological omnivores, heart disease would not exist, let alone be America's #1 killer for over a hundred years.

It may not be the least bit hyperbolic to say that the existence of heart disease in humans is proof that we, as a species, are vegans.

In any case, a low fat vegan diet has been proven again and again to be the cure for heart disease. A mountain of clinical evidence supports this.

According to Roberts, those who are utterly immune to heart disease without the use of statin drugs are pure vegetarian fruit eaters. His own exact words. fruit eaters.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on this board appear to just want to feel good about their bad choices. They don't actually want to learn anything. Fine. I just hope Obamacare gets crushed along with medicare and medicaid so that I don't have to end up paying for your bad choices. You can do what you want. And you can pay for the consequences as well.
    Vegans have the same life expectancy and risk of disease as omnivores.

That is pure crap! Cite some studies that even come close to saying that! You can't because your head is too far up to know what you aere talking about.

There are plenty of studies that say the opposite. I can give you cites if you want, but you probably aren't able to read them and understand them. So here is a small overview:

:People who eat meat are more likely to have higher cholesterol because cholesterol is only present in animal-based foods, including meat, eggs and dairy products. High cholesterol can increase your chances of developing heart disease, which can, of course, shorten your life span. According to a 2006 article in "Life Extension" magazine, eating meat can also increase the risk of developing certain cancers, such as colon cancer, as well as kidney stones and gallstones.

Meat Consumption

A 2003 report published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" analyzed six different studies to try to establish whether vegetarians live longer. The report found that low meat consumption decreases risk of death and increases life expectancy. In fact, research shows that reducing meat consumption can increase your life span by 3.6 years. The same report showed that societies with plant-based diets are more likely to live past 70 years of age."

Your pseudoscientific rambling and cherry picked (and misinterpreted) data isn't fooling anybody, just like it hasn't fooled anybody every other time you've gone on and on with your condescending preachiness.

No, I can't fool the idiots, because they know better. Of course everyone knows that the Journal of the British Heart Association, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Science and Nature are just pseudo scientific journals. Right.

I sure can't fool you clever ones!

As for what I'm doing here, if you'd actually bother to read the thread before spouting your nonsense you'd know I've already spoken about my dietary choices. Anyway, do us all a favor, and drop the ridiculously childish passive aggressive behavior, it's really quite pathetic.

Just like your anti-scientific babblings.
    LOL, yes VEGETARIANS live longer than both omnivores and vegans. You do understand the difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? That's not too difficult a concept for you, is it? Oh, and pescatarians are also healthier than vegans, having the lowest rate of heart disease, along with lacto-ovo vegetarians. Meat eaters, pescatarians, vegetarians, and vegans all have the same risks of dying from all other causes of death.
    There were no significant differences between vegetarians and nonvegetarians in mortality from cerebrovascular disease, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, or all other causes combined.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10479225/

And as for that "red meat study" you keep posting, that's sensationalistic garbage as it was an observational study, and cannot show causation. Since you're choosing to insult me and my ability to read scientific studies, tell me, do you understand the difference between correlation and causation? Do you also understand the difference between an observational study, and a clinical study? Or are you just going to continue to cherry pick data that fits your preconceived ideas, regardless of the actual facts?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For me it's unnatural to eat meat. We don't have the teeth or digestive system of a carnivore.

Quite right. Physiologically we are herbivores. Here is an article by the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology (I know, another pseudo scientific rag) :

William C. Roberts MD has five decades of experience in the field of cardiology, written over 1300 scientific publications, a dozen cardiology textbooks, and has been editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology for a quarter of a century. He is arguably the most highly regarded cardiologist in the world today.

In his 2008 editorial "The Cause of Atherosclerosis", published in the peer reviewed journal Nutrition in Clinical Practice, Roberts states that there is a single, sole cause to heart disease: cholesterol. If your total cholesterol is below 150 and LDL is below 70, you are essentially heart attack proof. What is the cause of high cholesterol? Saturated fat and animal products:

carnivore…"

It is virtually impossible, for example, to produce atherosclerosis in a dog even when 100 grams of cholesterol and 120 grams of butter fat are added to its meat ration. (This amount of cholesterol

He then utterly annihilates the human omnivore myth in a single sentence. here it is:

herbivores.***

Some may debate whether cholesterol is the sole cause of heart disease. It does not matter, the fact remains that atherosclerosis occurs only in herbivores.

If humans were physiological omnivores, heart disease would not exist, let alone be America's #1 killer for over a hundred years.

It may not be the least bit hyperbolic to say that the existence of heart disease in humans is proof that we, as a species, are vegans.

In any case, a low fat vegan diet has been proven again and again to be the cure for heart disease. A mountain of clinical evidence supports this.

According to Roberts, those who are utterly immune to heart disease without the use of statin drugs are pure vegetarian fruit eaters. His own exact words. fruit eaters.

Wow, that's a helluva logical fallacy. What about the tiny little detail that no actual clinical studies have been able to show causation linking atherosclerosis to saturated fat, or cholesterol consumption? A minor detail, I'm sure.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, have been all my life, no problems with eating meat but i have eaten way less since i started to try lose some weight, eating a lot more greens and making sure the meat i do eat is of a good quality.
    I have no problems with people who choose not to eat meat.
  • relucas81
    Options
    It seems that no matter what dietary choice you make, you can find academic journal articles which will support it, and/or other ones which will say it's not the ideal. There is no "right answer" in regards to this debate. It is agreed by all that you should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. It is agreed by all that if you do eat meat, that you "try" to eat locally grown, free-range meats for the best nutritional value.

Other than that, it's simply doing what is best for you, your body, your budget, etc. (Despite the rants of some of the crazies on both sides of the spectrum..."Animal protein will kill you! No, soy will kill you!" blah blah blah
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but to say animals are killed in the production of harvesting grains is the same thing as eating meat is just plain stupid.

What you're referring to are small mice or insects that might die accidentally here and there during production VS.

27 MILLION animals are killed EVERY DAY for food in the US alone.

Doing your best to alleviate suffering is a lot different than doing nothing.
    If you noticed I did not claim they are exactly the same. I said we simply draw the line in a different place indicating you choose to allow Less animals to die for your food consumption than I do, but they still die. I honestly do respect your efforts, but when someone posts I'm promoting cruelty expect me to point out if you have any hipocrisy. If you truly want to be humane stay away from anything produced by large farms and grow everything yourself.
  • Need2bfit918
    Options
    I'm seeing a bit of a negative vegan/vegetarian conversation going on... but just to add my views, i'm vegan (been vegetarian since birth, vegan for over 3 years) and happy! I make sure to try and hit all of my goals (calories, protein, vitamin B12, calcium, as well as taking iron supplements)- I believe that a lot of vegans, in fact most vegans, are more healthy than those who eat meat (more referring to those not on MFP!) because living the vegan lifestyle makes you aware of what you're eating and what your choices are.
    I've never been a militant vegan, and don't want to be. I get a little frustrated when I have non vegan friends waving chicken wings about in my face saying 'go on eat it!' or being told that people can't stand listening to vegan 'propaganda' when us vegans are surrounded by meat and dairy... I went shopping in a real supermarket for the first time in a long time (I normally get my food shop delivered) and there are just aisles after aisles of meat, fish, dairy.
    I also don't like people who say things like 'humans are supposed to eat meat, because of -insert popular wrong belief here- 'just eat some steak' 'but bacon tastes so good' blah blah blah. It's plain disrespectful. For me, being vegan isn't a taste based decision!
    However I do LOVE people who are interested in finding out about veganism... I turned vegan when I was 16 and had a lot of people who thought I was 'weird' or 'stupid' at college for doing it. However I appreciate when people want to educate themselves about why i'm vegan or learn about vegan products- if meat eaters take the time to just check out some documentaries (like Earthlings!), or read an article about it, then they're becoming more informed of the facts (because it is fact based, not opinion based). I'm not asking everyone in the world to go vegan, just to be open minded about it (:

Also, vegan food can be SO good. My boyfriend eats meat and loves a lot of the food I make.

edit: sorry for such a long post! :3
    Do you not think saying meat eaters are promoting cruelty as being negative towards us?
  • gemmalianne84
    Options
    I'll eat anything which is the best way in my opinion. You need all food groups to have a balanced diet.
  • Need2bfit918
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!
    a lot of animals die during the production of grains ,and soy during harvesting ,or prepping for harvest. its just a matter of where we draw the line, but we all promote lifestyles that kill animals.

There is a difference between intentionally killing, and accidentally killing. Even our penal code recognizes that. Veganism is an ethic, and do I think it is a superior ethic? Of course I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be one.

it's not accidental killing if you know that animals are there and will die during harvesting. So cant say it's accidental.
    [/quote

You know, I am really touched by the concern that meat eaters have for animals that may be killed in the harvesting of vegetables and grains. The only think I don't understand is why don't you show that same concern for the animals you eat. Never mind, there is such a thing as Karma. You kill the cow, the cow kills you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/red-meat-death-heart-cancer

just showing how hypocritical you are.

I'M hypocritical!!!? Wow. I guess our penal code is hypocritical too. When you don't try to kill, and you don't want to kill, it is not the same thing as being a bloodthirsty killer.
    if i took a bulldozer to a neighborhood full of homes and people to make room for a farm and in the process killed people would our penal code say it was just an accident ?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Lots of people on this board appear to just want to feel good about their bad choices. They don't actually want to learn anything. Fine. I just hope Obamacare gets crushed along with medicare and medicaid so that I don't have to end up paying for your bad choices. You can do what you want. And you can pay for the consequences as well.
    Vegans have the same life expectancy and risk of disease as omnivores.

That is pure crap! Cite some studies that even come close to saying that! You can't because your head is too far up to know what you aere talking about.

There are plenty of studies that say the opposite. I can give you cites if you want, but you probably aren't able to read them and understand them. So here is a small overview:

:People who eat meat are more likely to have higher cholesterol because cholesterol is only present in animal-based foods, including meat, eggs and dairy products. High cholesterol can increase your chances of developing heart disease, which can, of course, shorten your life span. According to a 2006 article in "Life Extension" magazine, eating meat can also increase the risk of developing certain cancers, such as colon cancer, as well as kidney stones and gallstones.

Meat Consumption

A 2003 report published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" analyzed six different studies to try to establish whether vegetarians live longer. The report found that low meat consumption decreases risk of death and increases life expectancy. In fact, research shows that reducing meat consumption can increase your life span by 3.6 years. The same report showed that societies with plant-based diets are more likely to live past 70 years of age."

Your pseudoscientific rambling and cherry picked (and misinterpreted) data isn't fooling anybody, just like it hasn't fooled anybody every other time you've gone on and on with your condescending preachiness.

No, I can't fool the idiots, because they know better. Of course everyone knows that the Journal of the British Heart Association, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Science and Nature are just pseudo scientific journals. Right.

I sure can't fool you clever ones!

As for what I'm doing here, if you'd actually bother to read the thread before spouting your nonsense you'd know I've already spoken about my dietary choices. Anyway, do us all a favor, and drop the ridiculously childish passive aggressive behavior, it's really quite pathetic.

Just like your anti-scientific babblings.
    LOL, yes VEGETARIANS live longer than both omnivores and vegans. You do understand the difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? That's not too difficult a concept for you, is it? Oh, and pescatarians are also healthier than vegans, having the lowest rate of heart disease, along with lacto-ovo vegetarians. Meat eaters, pescatarians, vegetarians, and vegans all have the same risks of dying from all other causes of death.
    There were no significant differences between vegetarians and nonvegetarians in mortality from cerebrovascular disease, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, or all other causes combined.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10479225/

And as for that "red meat study" you keep posting, that's sensationalistic garbage as it was an observational study, and cannot show causation. Since you're choosing to insult me and my ability to read scientific studies, tell me, do you understand the difference between correlation and causation? Do you also understand the difference between an observational study, and a clinical study? Or are you just going to continue to cherry pick data that fits your preconceived ideas, regardless of the actual facts?

First, I guess you are truly reading-challenged. Honestly, try and read for content and understanding. Here is a quote from the abstract you referred to:

"Further categorization of diets showed that, in comparison with regular meat eaters, mortality from ischemic heart disease was 20% lower in occasional meat eaters, 34% lower in people who ate fish but not meat, 34% lower in lactoovovegetarians, and 26% lower in vegans. There were no significant differences between vegetarians and nonvegetarians in mortality from cerebrovascular disease, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, or all other causes combined."

Second, I am very familiar with that study. That particular study also controlled for other factors that are part of the vegetarian lifestyle, i.e., it looked at a lot of other things besides diet. Vegetarians tend to be better educated than non vegetarians. They tend to be wealthier. They tend not to smoke. They tend to exercise more. They tend not to engage in risky behavior. They tend to be more concerned about the planet and the environment. In other words, they basically compared a very small subset of vegetarians (those who drink, smoke engage in risky behavior, etc) with an equal group of non-vegetarians. Of course the advantage of being vegetarian was decreased (but unlike what you said, not eliminated.) Bear in mind that they also controlled for meat eaters who ate EXACTLY the same amount of fruits and vegetables as vegetarians. The following UTube review by an MD talks about this study:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYjDhWo8mM&list=UUddn8dUxYdgJz3Qr5mjADtA&index=103&feature=plcp

Unfortunately, you and other statistically-challenged individuals fail to understand what that study actually was about and what it really said. Perhaps the cite I gave will help you, but probably not. Anyone who starts on the "correlation vs Causality" theme probably at best had Statistics 101 and got a "C" in it. Otherwise you would understand why people do studies where there is a definitive correlation between certain independent variables and one or more dependent ones.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

carnivore…"

herbivores.***

Wow, that's a helluva logical fallacy. What about the tiny little detail that no actual clinical studies have been able to show causation linking atherosclerosis to saturated fat, or cholesterol consumption? A minor detail, I'm sure.

What about the fact that you have no clue what you are talking about. Do you understand that 500 studies that show a definitive correlation are valuable studies? Do you understand that NO STUDY can ever control for every independent variable? Do you even know what an independent variable is?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    It seems that no matter what dietary choice you make, you can find academic journal articles which will support it, and/or other ones which will say it's not the ideal. There is no "right answer" in regards to this debate. It is agreed by all that you should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. It is agreed by all that if you do eat meat, that you "try" to eat locally grown, free-range meats for the best nutritional value.

Other than that, it's simply doing what is best for you, your body, your budget, etc. (Despite the rants of some of the crazies on both sides of the spectrum..."Animal protein will kill you! No, soy will kill you!" blah blah blah

This is absolutely not true. We are natural herbivores, therefore no diet that consists only of fruits and vegetables will have any definitive correlation with any chronic disease. Sorry as Dr Roberts said in his journal article, only herbivores can get arteriosclerosis.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I'm sorry, but to say animals are killed in the production of harvesting grains is the same thing as eating meat is just plain stupid.

What you're referring to are small mice or insects that might die accidentally here and there during production VS.

27 MILLION animals are killed EVERY DAY for food in the US alone.

Doing your best to alleviate suffering is a lot different than doing nothing.
    If you noticed I did not claim they are exactly the same. I said we simply draw the line in a different place indicating you choose to allow Less animals to die for your food consumption than I do, but they still die. I honestly do respect your efforts, but when someone posts I'm promoting cruelty expect me to point out if you have any hipocrisy. If you truly want to be humane stay away from anything produced by large farms and grow everything yourself.

Gosh, no. Killing and then eating the corpse is not cruelty! My God, who could ever think that!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

^^Here is the OP's original question. It clearly asks whether meat is good or bad or you. Glib responses seem to be the norm in here, but quoting scientific literature does seem more appropriate. I read a lot of nutrition science, and based on that, I think eating meat is *NOT* good for you. This is my opinion, which has formed from an impression of the literature.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm a carnivore who loves vegetarian food!! I think meat and eggs are good for you as long as you get the most unprocessed kind you can find.....not that I always do this tho, let's face it, organic hormone free free range animal products are EXPENSIVE. I also don't like to drink milk, cuz I can't get over the fact there is puss in it, so I use almond milk instead. I will have the occasional chocolate milk tho. I love equally my moose steak and my quinoa and black beans.

I know that meat starts fermenting in our digestive tracts, but i don't drink in excess or smoke or overdo it on animal products so I think I balance out. Balance and moderation are key!!!
  • deeseabrook
    deeseabrook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ...while if its the processed **** where farmers feed the animals growth hormones (chicken) and unnatural meals to cows...well...thats unhealthy.

Meat is healthy depending on where it comes from and the animals history of food and treatment.
    You can buy grass fed beef in health stores. It's much healthier and taste better too!