Options

Replies

• ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i like overhead presses

Are you out of your mind woman!!! :laugh:

What he said.

Although OHP is my weakest lift as well.

the weight that I use for OHP is really quite pathetic.

Aw, don't feel bad. I've been training my wife for a little over a month and she still have trouble getting the 45 lb bar up without an assitance spot. She's killing her deads at 90 lbs though!!

I actually posted this as my status today and feel it fits here....

*****It's not how you start that matters, it's how u finish!*****

:)
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    Deadlift day!! 5 sets of 5 @ 365. Was feeling strong so went for it a new PR. 415x2 woohoo
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get some room made in my garage in the next few days so I can set my stuff back up. I'm getting the DTs from not lifting weights for a week. I figure a week off has probably done me some good though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day!! 5 sets of 5 @ 365. Was feeling strong so went for it a new PR. 415x2 woohoo

Outstanding brother!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get some room made in my garage in the next few days so I can set my stuff back up. I'm getting the DTs from not lifting weights for a week. I figure a week off has probably done me some good though.

Did this recently. Watch how strong you come back after a little rest!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i like overhead presses

Are you out of your mind woman!!! :laugh:

What he said.

Although OHP is my weakest lift as well.

the weight that I use for OHP is really quite pathetic.

Aw, don't feel bad. I've been training my wife for a little over a month and she still have trouble getting the 45 lb bar up without an assitance spot. She's killing her deads at 90 lbs though!!

I decided to get back into 5/3/1 this week, for several reasons, but one was to incorporate the OHP back in. I hadn't really done it in so long that I can really feel it today. It's hard to believe at one point I could press 175 for a single. Back to the drawing board. LOL!

That's bad-*kitten* man!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    After dropping a warm-up 70kg dead-lift after 5reps with my trainer last weekend I was feeling a bit nervous about my deads last night.

My trainer is now on holiday, but I managed 70kg x 10. I'm happy with that.

I was tempted to move up, but since my confidence was a bit shaken, I decided to stick there.

With OHP, why is is so much easier to do it with a bar rather than dumbells? Is it a stability muscle thing?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    After dropping a warm-up 70kg dead-lift after 5reps with my trainer last weekend I was feeling a bit nervous about my deads last night.

I was tempted to move up, but since my confidence was a bit shaken, I decided to stick there.

With OHP, why is is so much easier to do it with a bar rather than dumbells? Is it a stability muscle thing?

Yeah girl!
    Re OHP: I use dumbbells for OHP because my right side is much stronger than my left. Trying to correct that. Doesn't really answer the question at all, haha.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Yeah girl!
    Re OHP: I use dumbbells for OHP because my right side is much stronger than my left. Trying to correct that. Doesn't really answer the question at all, haha.

Well I think that's my issue as well, with the bar my right side can give the left a bit of a boost, but with dumbells, my left is all wimpy.
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    Deadlift Day for me.... 5x5 375 and PR 425x2
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    1X2 @ 455 (PR) and 5X3 @ 375 yesterday.
  • JNick77
    Options

Yeah girl!

Yeah the oly bar helps stabilize a little bit but unfortunately your right arm can overcompensate for the left. You really have to focus on making sure your left arms is pushing just as hard as the right. I would continue to use both. Do a few sets with BB's and then a couple sets with DB's. You can vary your routine and do heavier sets with the BB and then do something like and just do like 2 or 3 sets of max reps with DB's, minimum of 15 reps. Do that until you feel your left side's strength come closer to balance with the right. Even without the imbalance you should do some DB work as it helps you to build strength from the start of the movement to the middle of the movement.
  • kingkong123
    Options
    Not sure if anyone used Ed Coan's deadlift program that I posted, but just finished my first cycle and pulled 505 the other day. Monster PR.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Not sure if anyone used Ed Coan's deadlift program that I posted, but just finished my first cycle and pulled 505 the other day. Monster PR.

I have not but I've heard good things from it. 505 is a pretty monster pull, especially if that was raw. Nice job!
  • BluEydDreamer
    Options
    Deadlifts are one of the best exercises. I really like stiff legged deadlifts using intentions. My hamstrings burn very nicely.
  • kingkong123
    Options

I have not but I've heard good things from it. 505 is a pretty monster pull, especially if that was raw. Nice job!

Thanks!! I encourage you to try it out whenever you have an opportunity to work it into your own program. I went up 55 lbs in the 10 weeks.

As far as equipment - just chalk!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am shamelessly re-bumping this thread to show off my recent deadlift PR of 413 lbs :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHiehiArYo
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No shame in that, that's an awesome lift!
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am deadlifting 275lbs x 5 not sure what my 1RM is though I have never tried.

Edited to add LBS