Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?
    I wish...
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?
    I wish...
    Seriously?!? This actually happens? There are criminals who shoot others just for the fun of it? That's insane. Completely and utterly insane, and I am genuinely saddened if it's true.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I wish...
    Seriously?!? This actually happens? There are criminals who shoot others just for the fun of it? That's insane. Completely and utterly insane, and I am genuinely saddened if it's true.

Do you not own a TV?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I wish...

It's true, and it happens all the time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I understand that opinions on the need to carry a gun are going to vary widely, I am amazed at the proufound (and irrational) fear that guns are inherently dangerous. It's as if even being in the same room as one is more dangerous than being in a room with a hungry lion.

Guns dont go off at random, and a secured gun (holster) is no more dangerous than a paper weight.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I wish...

Do you not own a TV?

Yes, I do own a TV but I don't live in the US so we only get your larger news stories over here.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I never really think about this when running around Boston-- granted the areas are generally very safe when it comes to street crime and without looking up the stats, I would say the majority of assaults are against women. Generally speaking, there are areas I do avoid, but even when I've run by the projects in different parts of the city -- I've never had any issues. There was a guy who did run with me for about 200 meters asking me if I needed any drugs...

Typically, I run when the sun is either coming up or setting. If I'm running when it's dark, I'll run with a friend or a roommate.

Also, the only thing I take with me on runs is my housekeys-- no wallet, credit card, ipod, cash etc... The only legitimate reason someone would have stopping me is if they were actually looking for a fight. Seeing as how I don't wear jewelry, I guess I keep the incentive low.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I wish...

Do you not own a TV?

Yes, I do own a TV but I don't live in the US so we only get your larger news stories over here.

what country do you live in?

there are criminals that kill people with (insert item here) for fun everywhere.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Crime did double in england since gun restriction laws were enacted. I just looked it up now myself.

In 2009, there were 9,146 murders in the USA due to firearms. In the UK in 2008, there were 39. If you adjust the number up for the UK to reflect the lower population compared to the US, you'd have the equivalent of 195 firearm murders. Still significantly lower than what exists in the USA.

Just to repeat: in the USA, over 9,000 gun murders per year. In the UK, 39.

http://www.juancole.com/2011/01/over-9000-murders-by-gun-in-us-39-in-uk.html

The culture of fear in the USA, with every Tom, ****, and Dirty Harry armed to the teeth, means more gun deaths. More guns equals more gun deaths.

When everyday people (non law enforcement) are jogging with guns, something has gone terribly wrong within the culture.

--P
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How best would I carry one of these for running?

'Cause pistols just piss grizzly bears off.

2012-09-05224227-1.jpg?t=1346948627
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I usually run my street, but yesterday I ventured into the park (across the road) and down the trail....that goes into the woods. It was mid-day, but I was alone. If someone had been in there waiting, I would have been unprepared. I don't own a weapon, but if I did I might.

I think I'll stay out of there from now on.
  • susiebear29
    Options
    Dear God, running with knives and guns?!?!? What?!?

I am very glad I live in Europe!

^^^SAME HERE!!!!^^^ I can't quite believe what I am reading!!! I think I have had a very sheltered life in my quiet little town in England and I am more than happy to keep it that way!!! I am sorry that some of you have to even consider carrying a weapon for fear of being attacked in your own neighbourhoods, keep safe everyone!! :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have lived in areas with high crime and I just didn't carry anything worth stealing.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have lived in areas with high crime and I just didn't carry anything worth stealing.

Except your virginity
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'd be arrested if I was found with a pistol in my pocket :noway:

That said..if I am running I do carry a small knife in my socks
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I carry mace.
  • Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have my CCW permit and carry a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm. I have a belt holster with a secure latch - like the police wear - to keep it from falling out when I'm out in the woods. I also carry pepper spray around my neck for the stray dog or bobcat because I don't want to shoot anything unless it's a last option and my life is in danger. Occasionally it does irritate me when climbing hills because it is the standard size and not a compact or sub-compact...but with cougars in this area don't want to risk it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    How best would I carry one of these for running?

'Cause pistols just piss grizzly bears off.

2012-09-05224227-1.jpg

And how would you carry one of THESE if you were running?

I guess I just run too hard but the thought of carrying anything boggles my mind. ;)
  • rmf626
    Options
    I have 2 back scabards for my pump action shotguns. If you've seen Woody Harrelsons character in Zombieland, you'll know what I mean.. You hardly know that they are there when you're out running.

Hahaha! Love it.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I had a police officer in my town tell me that I should carry one. I don't know if I could use one, though. The officer's thought was that it is better to be before 12 than to be carried by 6.