Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I find this whole thread extremely fascinating. The difference between the rest of the world and Americans is kind of in glaring proof here.

Yes you guys have provided links to articles of gun violence in other countries but you'll note the majority of posters from other countries don't see the need to carry a gun - it's a foreign concept to them. This should speak far more loudly then any articles.

Whereas many of the Americans on this page not only express a desire to have a gun but many of them already DO have one.

I'm not making judgments, just pointing out what I'm reading in all these pages and I think it's rather interesting and telling.

It's because topics like this attract gun owners. The overwhelming majority of Americans neither own nor carry guns.

This particular question was actually addressed to gun owners (asking how they like to carry in a given situation), so yes, it would attract gun owns. Duh.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Crime did double in england since gun restriction laws were enacted. I just looked it up now myself.

In 2009, there were 9,146 murders in the USA due to firearms. In the UK in 2008, there were 39. If you adjust the number up for the UK to reflect the lower population compared to the US, you'd have the equivalent of 195 firearm murders. Still significantly lower than what exists in the USA.

Just to repeat: in the USA, over 9,000 gun murders per year. In the UK, 39.

http://www.juancole.com/2011/01/over-9000-murders-by-gun-in-us-39-in-uk.html

The culture of fear in the USA, with every Tom, ****, and Dirty Harry armed to the teeth, means more gun deaths. More guns equals more gun deaths.

When everyday people (non law enforcement) are jogging with guns, something has gone terribly wrong within the culture.

--P

In 2011 there were 560ish murders in England and Wales. So even though there "are no guns" there are still murders being committed. The victims are still dead even if the turd didn't use a gun to kill them. There were also several thousand other crimes committed with firearms in 2011. If someone is posing an imminent threat to my life - whether they are using a gun or something else - I want to use the most effective means at my disposal to stop that threat. Where I live I don't have to bring a knife to a gunfight. I can bring a gun to a knife fight.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Gun ownership is mandatory in Switzerland. There is virtually no gun crime there.

Thereofre, mandatory gun ownership is the safest society.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK... to answer your question about CCP while running.
    The most obvious problem you are going to have is the firearm bouncing around while running so, we can do several things to solve that issue:

1: Get the lightist pistol that you can. The Kel-Tek PF-9 is supposedly a very light and thin 9MM. If you don't carry a spare magazine, this might be just the ticket for you.

2: A full belt. You cannot get away with a waist holster that clips to the inside of the pants. You will need to wear a belt and a holster that has loops for the belt. This means no more fancy running shorts. You will need "cargo" type shorts with belt loops. Goofy but, who really cares?

3: Shirt. You will need a long T-shirt to hide the pistol. In many states, even an accendital display (shirt riding up) is against the law.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am too clumsy to do that. Thankfully my city is safe though, well where I live
  • peinek
    Options
    How best would I carry one of these for running?

'Cause pistols just piss grizzly bears off.

2012-09-05224227-1.jpg

And how would you carry one of THESE if you were running?

I guess I just run too hard but the thought of carrying anything boggles my mind. ;)

Get a 3 point sling
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I find this whole thread extremely fascinating. The difference between the rest of the world and Americans is kind of in glaring proof here.

Yes you guys have provided links to articles of gun violence in other countries but you'll note the majority of posters from other countries don't see the need to carry a gun - it's a foreign concept to them. This should speak far more loudly then any articles.

Whereas many of the Americans on this page not only express a desire to have a gun but many of them already DO have one.

I'm not making judgments, just pointing out what I'm reading in all these pages and I think it's rather interesting and telling.

It's because topics like this attract gun owners. The overwhelming majority of Americans neither own nor carry guns.

This particular question was actually addressed to gun owners (asking how they like to carry in a given situation), so yes, it would attract gun owns. Duh.

* As of 2009, the United States has a population of 307 million people.[5]

* Based on production data from firearm manufacturers,[6] there are roughly 300 million firearms owned by civilians in the United States as of 2010. Of these, about 100 million are handguns.[7]

* Based upon surveys, the following are estimates of private firearm ownership in the U.S. as of 2010:

Households With a Gun Adults Owning a Gun Adults Owning a Handgun
    Percentage 40-45% 30-34% 17-19%
    Number 47-53 million 70-80 million 40-45 million
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?

I wish I lived on your planet. :smile:

Randomly shooting people for the fun of it has become a popular form of recreation in cities like Chicago and Washington DC in recent days. Gang initiations often require some young punk to pick the random civilian and blow him/her away just to show his homies what a badass he is. People are much more likely to be killed in a robbery today here than they were in the past. Your life has absolutely no value to the punks roaming the streets today. They will kill you just for the bragging rights. I wasn't aware that Canada and Europe were under a total news blackout. I thought this was common knowledge. I realize you have your own gang and criminal problems, but they are nothing like what we have here. We have ultra violent gangs like MS13 strolling in across the border from Mexico and our beloved president has forbidden the ICE/Border Patrol from interfering with our newest residents.

I just saw a great article from the UK on how well you are handling your crime problem there. The burglar would have to be brave to do that in Texas!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198621/It-takes-huge-courage-burgle-somebodys-house-What-judge-told-intruder-raided-homes-letting-walk-free-court.html?ITO=1490
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?

Randomly shooting people for the fun of it has become a popular form of recreation in cities like Chicago and Washington DC in recent days. Gang initiations often require some young punk to pick the random civilian and blow him/her away just to show his homies what a badass he is. People are much more likely to be killed in a robbery today here than they were in the past. Your life has absolutely no value to the punks roaming the streets today. They will kill you just for the bragging rights. I wasn't aware that Canada and Europe were under a total news blackout. I thought this was common knowledge. I realize you have your own gang and criminal problems, but they are nothing like what we have here. We have ultra violent gangs like MS13 strolling in across the border from Mexico and our beloved president has forbidden the ICE/Border Patrol from interfering with our newest residents.

I just saw a great article from the UK on how well you are handling your crime problem there. The burglar would have to be brave to do that in Texas!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198621/It-takes-huge-courage-burgle-somebodys-house-What-judge-told-intruder-raided-homes-letting-walk-free-court.html?ITO=1490

Holy crap. This is so far outside the realm of my world that I can't even fathom it.

The criminals in my town are freaking friendly. I know all the major drug dealers personally and they're the nicest, friendliest guys in town. I can't imagine a world where the criminals are actually violent. I know that sounds so freakishly innocent but in the world I grew up in you're more likely to be molested or raped then killed or beaten to death.

Although we did have a case of some druggie beating an old woman to death with a hammer last year. That sort of thing is so rare that most people didn't believe the story even when it hit the newspapers.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Firstly, I am not from the UK, so that article doesn't apply. Yes, we do hear about shootings in the US over here, but it is usually when it happens in a school or university.

Honestly, your post just makes me very sad. How awful. If that is how things are over there then yes, I can understand why you would choose to own a firearm. But, did the availablity of guns cause the problem in the first place or is it something deeper than that?

There will possibly be an opportunity for me to work in the US next year (for a few years) but this post is really putting me off the idea! I have a child and I would never want him exposed to such a culture.

Very sad indeed.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I can't imagine a world where the criminals are actually violent. I know that sounds so freakishly innocent but in the world I grew up in you're more likely to be molested or raped then killed or beaten to death....

What a utopia.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I can't imagine a world where the criminals are actually violent. I know that sounds so freakishly innocent but in the world I grew up in you're more likely to be molested or raped then killed or beaten to death....

What a utopia.

Well, clearly you're being sarcastic. But so long as I'm alive I can endure anything. :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Firstly, I am not from the UK, so that article doesn't apply. Yes, we do hear about shootings in the US over here, but it is usually when it happens in a school or university.

Honestly, your post just makes me very sad. How awful. If that is how things are over there then yes, I can understand why you would choose to own a firearm. But, did the availablity of guns cause the problem in the first place or is it something deeper than that?

There will possibly be an opportunity for me to work in the US next year (for a few years) but this post is really putting me off the idea! I have a child and I would never want him exposed to such a culture.

Very sad indeed.
    Keep in mind, america is a pretty big place. It's not like you're going to walk outside and hear world war 3. Ok, maybe you will if you live less than a mile from a shooting range like I do. Nevermind.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Last year, north of here in a small little town -- the don't lock their front doors at night kind of place -- a high school teacher was abducted and strangled to death while jogging before school. The two guys were higher than a kite and wondered what it would be like to just kill somebody.

Would it have mattered if she was carrying? I don't know. But it couldn't have turned out any worse.
  • sjohnny
    Options

What a utopia.

Well, clearly you're being sarcastic. But so long as I'm alive I can endure anything. :)

That's a wonderful outlook but I would rather have to endure having fought off a rapist or molester than being raped or molested.
  • gypsybree
    Options

^^ This ! ! ^^

I've been walking/jogging a LOT lately, and I've used this one. Very comfortable, no problems - except for the slight bit of extra weight on my bladder - but I usually take care of that before I start... LOL ...

I love that the person who said this is a really old lady with silver hair.. can you imagine a little old lady whippin out her pistol?? <3!!!
    However a grown assed man it wouldn't be as awesome.. just sayin
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

What a utopia.

I think it's sort of sad that you believe being raped is an acceptable alternative to death.

Granted, I don't know what legal options you have over there, but in spite of the violence we are subjected to here, I'm glad I have the option to prevent either option from happening to me.
  • penrbrown
    Options

What a utopia.

I think it's sort of sad that you believe being raped is an acceptable alternative to death.

Granted, I don't know what legal options you have over there, but in spite of the violence we are subjected to here, I'm glad I have the option to prevent either option from happening to me.

Anything is an acceptable alternative to death? To me life comes before all else?

Edited: This was prompted by the story about people shooting people just for fun. That baffles my mind. Completely and totally. I have to wonder how carrying a gun is going to stop some gang kid from driving by and shooting you in the head?
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    EVER!,lol
    Yeah, nothing bad ever happens to people in Europe and Canada. Nothing. Ever.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

What a utopia.

That's a wonderful outlook but I would rather have to endure having fought off a rapist or molester than being raped or molested.

yeah... see... I guess its perspective.
    You or someone you love gets raped or molested... you say "well atleast you're alive"

On the otherhand.. if someone I love is about to get raped or molested.. I kill them, then we say "well, atleast he wont rape or molest anyone else".

I suppose the diff is, I am allowed to prevent it.
    Niether of us can really do much after it occurs.. well.. legally atleast.