Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I get cramps so bad I can barely stand to get out of bed to go pee. This isn't an "excuse" not to work out. It's a legitimate time where I should rest for my wellbeing, and I refuse to be thought of negatively for that. If I have some damned cramps, it's my right to cite them as my reason why I didn't do my freaking cardio today, and nobody else needs to judge me for it.

As for cravings, women do crave things while on their periods, and giving into a craving by having a small treat isn't really that horrible. I think that the women who use this desire for a treat turn into the belief they need an entire cake need to work on moderation, surely, but that is not something to judge so much as something people should be offering support over so they can work through it to make healthier decisions which will help them lose weight.

What is this forum for if not support instead of judgment?
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Certainly didn't mean to create such a mess, but I resent those who say that "as a female" I shouldn't be saying such things. How about AS A FEMALE, I think we should more often propound our incredible strength (we bleed monthly? and live to tell about it? how cool is that!) rather than admit defeat every time our hormones flip out and our bodies rebel against us.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Certainly didn't mean to create such a mess, but I resent those who say that "as a female" I shouldn't be saying such things. How about AS A FEMALE, I think we should more often propound our incredible strength (we bleed monthly? and live to tell about it? how cool is that!) rather than admit defeat every time our hormones flip out and our bodies rebel against us.
    How about we each respond to that Time of the Month as we see fit?
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Who's TOM?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about that today. In all fairness I get hungrier than normal when I get my period and gravitate more towards carbs. Having said this, I still try to make good choices. I just eat more!

I also workout whether I feel like it or not. I just take some advil and head to the gym.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Maybe we should accept the fact that each woman's cycle varies, not just from woman to woman but sometimes for each individual as well. Maybe we shouldn't impose our experience of our own cycle onto others. And maybe we should find power in making a CHOICE to indulge a bit during this time. Because consciously making that choice might occasionally be more empowering than ignoring cravings altogether. It shows that you really are in control. You can make a choice to indulge, not overindulge, and go right back to "normal," no damage done.

Why not offer advice to others, instead of telling them to exhibit more willpower? Have you ever suggested that a woman look at the types of food she is eating near her cycle, for instance, as that can affect cravings? These are real things, not imagined. So maybe the sharing of strategies is in order.

Regardless, if you think "blaming" one's cycle makes "women" look pathetic, it could just as easily be argued that your post demonstrates the stereotypical acrimonious behavior that women are often accused of displaying towards each other.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Women can be so catty.

I blame TOM.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Maybe we should accept the fact that each woman's cycle varies, not just from woman to woman but sometimes for each individual as well. Maybe we shouldn't impose our experience of our own cycle onto others. And maybe we should find power in making a CHOICE to indulge a bit during this time. Because consciously making that choice might occasionally be more empowering than ignoring cravings altogether. It shows that you really are in control. You can make a choice to indulge, not overindulge, and go right back to "normal," no damage done.

Why not offer advice to others, instead of telling them to exhibit more willpower? Have you ever suggested that a woman look at the types of food she is eating near her cycle, for instance, as that can affect cravings? These are real things, not imagined. So maybe the sharing of strategies is in order.

Regardless, if you think "blaming" one's cycle makes "women" look pathetic, it could just as easily be argued that your post demonstrates the stereotypical acrimonious behavior that women are often accused of displaying towards each other.

Well said!!!! From reading some of these posts, I can't help but be envious of some women with mild periods that don't seem to affect them. I wish that was the case for me, never thought I would be judged by other women for it.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    I don't know about ya'll, but I am a woman. I do not have a friend named "TOM", an "Aunt Flo", a "shark week" or any of the above any more than I have "lady bits" or a "vajayjay".

I'm a woman. I MENSTRUATE. Thank you.

PS: Please keep your concerns off of my hormonal cycles, because they're not yours nor are they even slightly similar. They're mine.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that. if my TOM says i want chocolate, then i'm going to have chocolate. usually if i eat a little more, it helps with my gnarly cramps. and, hell, i'll be bloated for a day -maybe *gasp* two days!- but i'm all fine and dandy and back to my weight loss journey after my cycle. forget all that stupid feminist crap.
    as a side note, which i feel somewhat relates: today, in my anthropology club meeting we had a discussion about how a couple of fem-bot liberals got on our club president's case because we host bake sales! -because bake sales are a -girl- thing and the -girls- of our club were contributing most of the baked goods-
    hells bells.. most -about 75%- of the anthro students at my university are female. and about 80% of our club is female -there are only 3 dudes-.

my goodness, embrace being a woman! embrace getting a TOM and having that as a good enough reason to scream and shout and shove cookies into your mouth, dammit! it's one of the fun perks of being a lady.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I give myself 200 extra calories for the 3 days at the start. It still keeps me well below maintenance, and allows me to satisfy my cravings in a way that is healthy. I do ATTRIBUTE my cravings to ToM, but I don't BLAME it for making me overeat.

I still make good choices; the 1 or 2 extra reasonable snacks each day (not a pint of ice cream) are for my mental health. Because I make a conscious choice to do this, and I don't just eat on impulse, it's also completely guilt free.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with giving into cravings during TOM.
    If you want it... why not?

:huh:
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Who's TOM?

35kig2.jpg
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Who's TOM?

35kig2.jpg

^winner
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Who's TOM?

35kig2.jpg

you win this thread.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    youmadbro.jpg

Maybe just worry about yourself and your own body.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I wish women would stop attacking other women.

^^^ This..it's like chewing your own hand off. N no not defensive...I'm more controlled during TOM than any other time. It took me a while to realise I could turn it around...saw it as a challenge but it was about no. 12 on a big list of challenges. I shop before, I still go to training but keep everything else to a minimum so I get through it.
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Okay, yeah, nothing MADE you eat whatever it was...
    BUT
    The hormonal chemical imbalances that occur make you crave certain things. For me, mine is chocolate, and I am grumpy, snappy and cry until I've eaten it. Not great for when you're trying to lose weight, right?! ;) But I get a chocolate bar and I eat it and I enjoy it. I have a SMALL chocolate bar and cut my calorie intake by a third. I log it, I exercise more to earn it, and seriously, where exactly is the issue here?
    More importantly, my family don't get it in the neck.
    So go eat your craving, control it, exercise it, ENJOY it!!!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with the OP.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    TOM may not MAKE me eat, but he MAKES me want to eat. I'm always starving on my period!!!!!!!