Partner hates me using MFP :(

Options

Replies

• wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hm I can see why people feel that way about a site like this. I have a friend who works with people with eating disorders, and so the concept of calorie counting and using an online community is the way that a lot of eating disorders start. It does worry people, and I'm always making excuses when I talk about MFP so people don't think that I'm crazy! We also know that people who only talk about food and calories and exercise are boring- there's a difference between counting calories and being aware of what we eat and talking about it all the time! Not to say you're a calorie bore, but we do have to be careful!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Problem is, like most people, he thinks unhealthy food makes you fat.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For myself, it does seem obsessive. I personally don't like focusing on logging each little thing I eat - it felt like far too much focus on my food, and on numbers, and I felt it was to the detriment of enjoying my food, and also to the detriment of focusing on other things in my life, so I actually stopped logging as a result. But obviously I'm a minority here, as the point of MFP is to log food. And lots of people find it really useful to be logging food, so I can't say it's obsessive for everyone.

But I can see that someone might feel a bit frustrated when they want to sit down for a lovely meal with their partner, and just enjoy the food and the atmosphere, and their partner is on her phone logging each thing, and talking about the calories. Is there not a way you can do the logging privately, and not talk about it? If you plan your meals in advance, you can log while you're planning, and work out the calories that way. Also, if there are meals you have regularly, you can simply enter that as a meal on your food diary, and then it's very easy to log.

I suppose a parallel to this is that I am a very analytical person, and some people find it annoying that I'm so analytical, and they tell me I should just enjoy life without analysing it. And I think that is how some people feel about people who log their food - that they should just enjoy the food without counting every calorie. I actually need to analyse life, because my mind doesn't process things automatically, so I can't understand it otherwise. And I guess it's the same for people who count their calories - they need to do it because their bodies don't automatically tell them when they've had enough, so they will gain weight if they don't.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

Go back to him with:

"Am I being obsessive, or... Dedicated?"

Commitment and dedication is not being obsessive. And the people who think it is are usually the people who have never been committed or dedicated to anything in their lives.
  • 21June
    Options
    Here's one.

Go back to him with:

"Am I being obsessive, or... Dedicated?"

Commitment and dedication is not being obsessive. And the people who think it is are usually the people who have never been committed or dedicated to anything in their lives.
    So spot on there! :smile:
  • jogle39
    Options
    Could it be we come here for support since we dont get it at home? Thats my case anyway.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Could it just be how often you are logging in or when? Surely if you fit it round other activities you do together rather than instantly logging something as soon as you've eaten it (or before) it will seem less intrusive to him? But no, don't give it up for anyone if it's helping you!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It can be and appear very obsessive. This is particularly true if you log while eating, or you break off conversations or events with him in order to log. Or you let it interrupt social situations, such as eating with friends. If you are not obsessive, you'll use it as a learning tool, to teach yourself what a healthy portion of food is, and what healthy activities is.

Perhaps tell him that he's right, and you really want to learn how to just eat healthily and be relatively active like normal people, but you need to learn where your balance is? That way he can get a better grip on what you are actually doing, and he understands that it's a process, not how you will act for the rest fo your life?

Oh, and watch out a little how you use it. Don't log when people would like to have a nice conversation. And save the social side of it for when you have time.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he is feeling a bit left out or ignored as you are using your phone much more than usual when you're together? I know I am, and this is a good wake up call that I need to keep it in check. I'm enjoying doing it because it appeals to my OCD side...but I know it drives me crazy when my hubby is always on his phone...especially at meal times!!!

How about setting aside time when you are alone to log, either a couple times a day or once a day?

I agree with this...it's new and different and takes up extra time. show him all around the site then tell him how much you feel it helps you. He'll get used to it.
    Don't let him stop you doing this if you like it- or anything else for that matter.

I agree with this. I had the same kind of issue with my husband. He felt I was spending alot of time on the computer in the evenings when we used to sit and chat with each other, which was true. I explained to him how the site was helping me and he had a little look around on it. He didn't want me to stop as I am happy. We worked out that if I could just limit my time a bit and keep evening for the two of us. So now I pre-log my days food for the next day. Then once the kids go to bed I log on and fix anything I've changed and pre-log for the next day. I usually switch the computer off around 9p.m or there abouts and then we chat about our day or what ever. Best of luck xx
  • Barbara2104
    Options
    Hi! No. logging everything is not obsessive if it genuinely helps you to achieve your goals. Could it be that you seem to be always at the computer/ on this site? My partner was getting fed up seeing me run to the computer every time I put some food in my mouth, and I can see how that must have looked obsessive to him. So now I try to go on just twice a day: at some point in the morning putting in everything I know I'm going to have that day, and at the end of the day to put in additions or make any changes and record my exercise. If I seem to be snacking throughout the day, I have a small notebook and pen in the kitchen drawer (which transfers easily to my bag) and quickly scribble down what I'm eating so that I don't forget anything for the evening log-in. It's working quite well with the bonus of me being a bit more relaxed as well as him!
  • kizzabelle
    Options
    You could set aside 10 minutes after breakfast, 10 after lunch and 15 at the end of your day to log your last meal and snacks and any exercise and tell him that will be all the time you devote to MFP. I would explain calmly that you find it much easier to stick to a better diet when you can see how many calories you eat and how your exercise is helping.

I know when I go over what I've eaten with MFPs help that my guestimation of calories is way way off.

But you should also stick to the promise of not making him a laptop widow. If it is any consolation this is a regular sparring topic in my house too.

Good luck
  • mskatee
    Options
    He's also saying what works for a lot of MEN who often have more muscle mass and usually higher metabolisms than women. My partner is 6'1' and he needs 3000 calories a day just for maintenance! So just 'cutting out the burgers' and 'exercising a bit more' would work for him to lose weight, as he's got a lot of calorie room to play with. Whereas my maintenance is only 1700!

Not that I'm saying that men can't have weight problems, obviously, just that the attitude of 'just eat healthy, that's what works for me' doesn't recognize that that wouldn't work for ME. (or you).
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If MFP works for you and you're not constantly on your phone or computer logging, then your partner needs to know that while you respect their opinion and possible concern, this is your method. Doesn't matter if it's considered "normal" or not, what should matter is the results you get.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    He has said what he is upset about but do you know why he is upset - is it that he feels you are spending too much time on here and less with him ? Just my opinion but people don't usually get upset unless they are affected in some way. I am not saying he is right to do this but I'm just trying to think a little wider.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I also don't think this is any more compulsive or obsessive than anything else I do. for me the logging side is just memory upgrade for me .
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My partner and I have just had a huge row over me using MFP - he says it is making me obsessive and doesn't understand why I can't just eat healthily and exercise like 'normal people'. I log everything, down to a mint or cup of coffee, and he thinks it is crazy. I love MFP, it helps me stay on track and I know that without it I would over eat because I wouldn't be so conscious, but now I am thinking maybe I should stop using it and see how I go just estimating calories and exercise - or as he suggests stop thinking about it and just 'exercise and stay away from burgers' - what do you guys think? Anyone ever feel like logging everything is a bit obsessive?

Suggest you find out for sure the root cause of his objection.

Is he objecting because by spending time on MFP you focus less on your relationship or is it just because he feels you aren't acting like a 'normal person'

If its the latter then he's not being particularly tolerant. If its the former than you obviously need to agree on the right balance.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just started using MFP a few weeks ago and honestly, I see it a LOT like balancing my checkbook.

I used to be HORRIBLE when I was younger about being overdrawn at the bank because I would keep a running balance in my head , which of course was always wrong because I had always forgotten to consider some impulse buy or other.

Logging food and exercise is the exact same thing. I was surprised to find out when I started that I was taking in far more calories than I estimated I was. Now by logging daily, I can tell immediately that I need to go run it off or increase my exercise if I happen to have more calories than my daily goal.

It's the same principle as balancing a checkbook--and no one would call THAT obsessive. Plus, there's all the great support! :smile:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I had a meltdown at Fuddruckers for our anniversary dinner. They didn't serve the rib eye steak sandwich anymore and I had planned the meal down to the three french fries and the nacho cheese sauce. I had tears in my eyes as I reviewed the other menu choices on MFP. My husband put his arm around me as I looked and told the order person to just wait a minute... Because I showed him through day in and day out logging what MFP has done for me.

Fact--I would not be as successful without MFP. I started with excel and was getting tired of it after 3 weeks.
    Fact--I would not be as successful without MFP. Reading about exercise got me on board with that.
    Fact--I would not be as successful without MFP. My MFP pals cheer me and console me where others cannot.
    Fact--I would not be as successful without MFP. I could not pass along what I have learned to others.

Just give it some time. Try to log meals early. Research items during "alone time".
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What I did:

I replaced the time I 'wasted' on Facebook with time spent on here helping others and reading interesting stuff. Job done. Nobody notices any difference as I was a computery geek anyways :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    oh I'm sure it's obsessive. I carry my fitbit with me everywhere..and yesterday while at a family reunion I made a "note" on my phone of everything I had on my plate. But so be it. :) You know this stuff we are logging could come in handy if we ever got sick or needed a note of what we had eaten the day before. (that's how my rational mind gets around the OCD of it)