Body Envy /rant

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I catch myself doing it. Yes, Comparison is the thief of all joy.

We are all human. Just keep working on it and being the best YOU that you can be. Nothing else matters. Your only competition is you.
  • Windy32
    Options
    I know I am guilty of doing this too. I know this will sound mean but I also look at girls heavier than me and wonder if I am that heavy or if I am smaller than them.
    But I am trying to be happy with who I am. There are a lot of things i want to change about myself. Working out and getting healthy is step number 1, but I also want to get a breast reduction, and when I lose this weight I want to get a tummy tuck.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How often do you catch yourself looking at someone else and wishing you looked like them? I've lost 78 out of the 110 pounds I needed to lose and I feel like this feeling is intensifying the closer I get to my goal. I watch some K-pop videos and I feel so envious of the women in them as even when I hit my goal I won't be anywhere near as good-looking as they are. I'd have to lose bone mass to get as thin as they are. I worry that when I hit my goal that I'll still be "fat" in comparison. I know I'm being stupid but I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this. Even my bf has commented that I need to stop comparing myself to other women on TV/online/real life. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so obviously it's a hard habit to drop as I'll never active perfection as it doesn't exist...except in Photoshop. >.<

You dont have to be rail thin to be beautiful and healthy!!!!! This is my goal body shape, prob won't quite get there, but I am ok with that!!
    pi12_blk_alt.jpg
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Anyway I'm logging off for the night. It's football time. :)
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    MikkLuhnRozzWhuh Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Probably not but you may be able to Germanically crush one against your forehead if you get too overwhelmed with envy ;)

To be honest I think it's normal to have some level of "envy", let's remove the term with the negative connotations and say it's normal and healthy to be driven toward achievement, we only depart from the healthy part when our own self worth and happiness is contingent on achieving a goal that is forever a few more feet away.

It is true. Envy can be terrible if we make it that way, but it can be some insane motivation for us. It depends on how far we let the envy go.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How often do you catch yourself looking at someone else and wishing you looked like them? I've lost 78 out of the 110 pounds I needed to lose and I feel like this feeling is intensifying the closer I get to my goal. I watch some K-pop videos and I feel so envious of the women in them as even when I hit my goal I won't be anywhere near as good-looking as they are. I'd have to lose bone mass to get as thin as they are. I worry that when I hit my goal that I'll still be "fat" in comparison. I know I'm being stupid but I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this. Even my bf has commented that I need to stop comparing myself to other women on TV/online/real life. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so obviously it's a hard habit to drop as I'll never active perfection as it doesn't exist...except in Photoshop. >.<

Step one: stop comparing yourself to women in k-pop videos
    Step two: follow your goal and realize you're good enough for yourself.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options

You dont have to be rail thin to be beautiful and healthy!!!!! This is my goal body shape, prob won't quite get there, but I am ok with that!!
    pi12_blk_alt.jpg

I say go for it, girl! :D You can do it. That's a beautiful body shape.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    Alright. Have a good night. Add me if you want. I hope you will.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I definitely am guilty of doing this. all. the. TIME. In fact, I feel fatter at 145lbs than I ever did at 170 because I keep comparing myself to skinnier girls. At least it's good motivation to stay on track! :wink:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, especially while watching Asian dramas. I live in a college town too, so you see pretty, thin girls going for runs all the time. I worked at an arts festival this weekend and saw girls so thin that I'd have to go right down to a skeleton to be as thin as they were, it makes me feel thick and godzilla-ish.

Though I'm also jealous of people that don't have body image issues (or not obviously) and are able to eat food and enjoy it, worry-free with no calorie counting. I want to be able to wear shorts and not think about it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    As the song goes, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."

Same goes for loving yourself. You've got this one body. Love it. Do right by it and love it.

I'm never going to be tall, blonde, leggy or busty. I'm a short brunette whose hair seems hell bent on looking like Red Foo from LMFAO. I'm practically boobless. My torso is about two inches too short and I have a hard time finding clothes that fit. I have really big thighs. I'm happy with how my arms have slimmed down with weight training, but if I look at Victoria's Secrets models... their legs are about as big around as my arms.

I can't change those things. But I can be the short brunette with a small waist and nice caboose. But really... I'm a lot more than the sum of a bunch of body parts. I'm a kind-hearted person who rescues animals (I've even stopped to fling worms off the sidewalk into the grass). I'm a pretty amazing artist. I'm a fantastic wife. I'm a decent enough cook... and after dinner tonight I think I need to upgrade my status because it was so good I had to take off my shoes to wiggle my toes. I'm strong, physically and emotionally. I'm funny. Damn funny. And I can stretch a dollar further than anyone I know.

So WHAT if I don't look like a model or actress? I'm NOT a model or actress. How I look doesn't really matter.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Can I be younger, much much better looking and not in pain?
    Oh, and a bigger......................................................toe would be nice too.

And as Frank said:
    Would you like to swing on a star
    Carry moonbeams home in a jar
    And be better off than you are
    Or would you rather be a mule?

A mule is an animal with long funny ears
    Kicks up at anything he hears
    His back is brawny and his brain is weak
    He's just plain stupid with a stubborn streak
    And by the way, if you hate to go to school
    You may grow up to be a mule

Or would you like to swing on a star
    Or would you rather be a pig?

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
    His shoes are a terrible disgrace
    He ain't got no manners when he eats his food
    He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
    But if you don't care a feather or a fig
    You may grow up to be a pig

Or would you like to swing on a star
    Or would you rather be a fish?

A fish won't do anything, but swim in a brook
    He can't write his name or read a book
    And to fool the people is his only thought
    And though he's slippery, he still gets caught
    But then if that sort of life is what you wish
    You may grow up to be a fish

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
    Every day you meet quite a few
    So you see it's all up to you
    You can be better than you are
    You could be swingin' on a star
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

pi12_blk_alt.jpg

The problem with comparing yourself to people is that we're all different. This is something I forget when I go ab getting depressed when I compare myself to ppl. I could never look like her^ (though she is nothing like what I'm aiming for, just makin a point) My body doesn't distribute fat in such a way & I could never force it too. I have leg quite a bit smaller than hers & smaller hips/butt, but my belly is pooches out, whereas hers is seemingly flat.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I definitely am guilty of doing this. all. the. TIME. In fact, I feel fatter at 145lbs than I ever did at 170 because I keep comparing myself to skinnier girls. At least it's good motivation to stay on track! :wink:

SAME! I feel fatter now than I did when I started this!
  • LiOB623
    Options
    I do it too <sigh> I guess it's a woman thing!
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Yup. My ribs stick out weird so when I'm fit, people think I don't weigh enough. I'm hoping my ab exercises will even that out so I can look almost normal wearing a fitted shirt :\
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here who really doesn't give a rats what anyone else looks like? I'm also not aspiring to be model thin. I just want to be healthy! In body, mind and spirit. And happy, content...with enough energy to do the things I do on a daily basis.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do it. I have teeny-tiny bones (seriously- when I wrap my fingers around my wrist, thumb to middle finger, I completely cover one of my nails). I'm also petite- just under 5'4". I also have a ridiculously high metabolism. Therefore it's a lot harder for me to say "oh, I can never look that thin." I literally have no legitimate excuse. I used to think I have a low metabolism because I'd eat less "real food" than other people, but I realized... I'm fat because of all the candy I used to eat as a child. I realized I was 155 lbs (at my highest) because I was eating like over 1200 kcals in candy alone a day, not because my metabolism sucked.

So now I look at people and realize for the most part, I CAN look like them, which makes it even harder for me to accept where I am now. Oddly enough, I've started gravitating to bodies I can't have - wider hips - probably because I like being able to tell myself it's okay to not look like that. I have a thicker torso- from the side view it looks small, but it's really wide through the waist, and then it pouches out near my belly button... I hate that, but I do feel a bit better knowing it's just in my genetics.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!!! Unfortunately I gave birth to 2 larger babies and my tummy is extra skin so I'll never look like that.

Even though I suffer from being an enviest too I want to remind you that if you don't like who you are and can be content with how you look now (even though you are changing it and that's a good thing too) you will not like who you are or what you look like when you get to your goal weight. You have to start loving yourself and not comparing yourself to others or you won't like you when you get where you want.

Plus, many of those women have personal trainers, personal chefs and it's their job to look like that!!! You can't change your ethnicity but you can become the healthiest you that you can be!!!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    "You could be the Moon..........and still be jealous of the Stars"