Foods you have 'discovered' on your way to healthier eating

Options

Replies

• been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    star fruit (Carambola) Fuji apples , and nature valley's apple crisp granola ..............bye
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Tofu, kale, chard, all sorts of salad mixes (as opposed to never venturing beyond spinach and romaine)...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. I also "discovered" that I still hate beets- all beets- in any form, lol!
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Almond Flour, Flaxseed Meal, Coconut Flour, Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Oil
  • Coryd2012
    Coryd2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    0 calorie noodles
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower

This!

And grains. Never had anything but rice until now. I've had different types of couscous, quinoua, (can't spell it but I'll eat it), wild rice, farro...OMG I have discovered that I LOVE farro. Might be my new favorite.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hummus, parsnips, Kale juice with ginger...yummmmmmmmmm
  • goofylove89
    goofylove89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    plain unsweetened almond milk....only 30 calories for a cup
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!!
  • Sandibeach17
    Sandibeach17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk, Natural peanut butter, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes and Quinoa!
  • rudy7020
    Options
    Turkey burgers and pitas.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Honestly Steel Cut oats make a big pot once a week and split it up into two serving containters and have it every morning with my fat free yogurt for breakfeast. I really enjoy it. (Go Figure). Used to eat two not one but TWO English muffin with sausage (meals yes I said MEALS not just the sandwiches) on the way to work in the morning then have a big bowl of cereal at 10am.
  • Rumpenissen
    Rumpenissen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Homemade gazpacho! Yum :-)
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, coconut oil (love), oat bran, avacado, raw almonds, apple cider vinegar, ground chicken/turkey.
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Spinach, soups (which I now put spinach and red cabbage in!) and tabouleh!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder..before I just thought it was for buff dudes.. but now..I cant live without it!
  • lsunderl
    Options
    I have never heard of Oral Allergy Syndrome - but I knew I had an allergy to some types of apples and almonds. Now I know why. Thanks!
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i want to come back later to read all of this. :)
    for me i've found that i love Almond milk, greek yogurt, and squash! more to come. i tried quinoa at a wedding and absolutely loved it but have been too lazy to buy some and make it myself! must do that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Quinoa
    jicama
    Boca chicken patties (soy product...may actually not be that healthy but dang they are tasty!)
    soy milk
    raw almonds
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Roasted cruciferous veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc.

They are completely transformed and utterly delicious when sprinkled with kosher salt, pepper, and few tablespoons of olive oil and then roasted at 400ish for 20 to 35 minutes.

The florets of the broccoli are the least forgiving so start checking that early so as not to char them too much.

this!
    I've always loved veggies, used to be vegetarian,
    but TOTALLY go nutters for roasted veggies, never made them that way before, and plan to make some more roasted broccolli tonite,...brushed with EVOO, sprinkled with some crushed garlic, a squirt or two of lemon,
    and 20ish minutes in hot oven.

THANK YOU AGAIN to whatever MFP member posted this recipe, i am now addicted to itemo60.gif
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

will warm up the house:smile: too.
    but i felt kinda good, as so so many of the things listed on this thread, are things i already did love...BUT I AM EATING MORE OF THEM NOW!!!!!! but lotta things to try, like quinoa and soybeans/edamame.

Tried BlackBeanBurgers....... still tweaking that recipe, though.

...bacon

this!!

just kidding, i thought that person's reply was hilarious.emo30.gif
    Just about spit out my drink when i read that one.........(wipes eyes).

and PLUMS...........fell in love with PLUMS............:heart:
    OH, and butter-flavored cooking spray.

lotta foods i made in pans, i had butter or olive oil,
    but, wow, love that cooking spray.....even easier to cook with, than butter ever was......emo59.gif.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    OH one more,
    NAPA CABBAGE
    beats any other green for salads, imo.......hands down.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM99-aUBb-QMDICeV6c9qZIa_e4Vu5FZiQ3IRFOxxMHdBRZbMDcQ

It's got just a very faint dash of a spicey-ish taste, (mild) and it is WAYyyy crunchier and holds up better under dressings than most any green i've ever tried, doesn't wilt in the bowl or anything.....
    ........even seems to last a bit longer in the fridge than most greens i used to use.