What's the most polite insult you've recieved?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On the original post - I've generally taken this as a complement.
    I was certainly quite pleased when after having lost 3 and a 1/2 stone a (female, which matters being a bloke :P) friend of mine commented "I only realised how much you lost when you started wearing tight t-shirts, never considered you fat before, but wow!"
    I DO have a big frame that does hide it well, so was pleased that I wasn't seen as 'fat' even when I was... though I did get told that a fair bit "oh, but you don't need to lose weight", despite me explaining, at least at my worst, that I was technically obese.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    'You're a big strong girl' code for 'omg, what a heffa!' usually from one of my older clients.
    I have had one or two say 'its nice to see someone who enjoys their food'

Old people are quite good at compli-insults and i have seen a few posts on MFP bemoaning an insulting comment from grandma etc.

Having said that most elderly people suffer from some degree of frontal cortex shrinkage (its a natrual part of ageing), the frontal cortex is the bit that houses some of your social inhibitions and stop us just saying what pops into our heads, so perhaps insensitive comments from the elderly can be somewhat forgiven :-)

http://www2.psy.uq.edu.au/~billvh/vH&D.P&A.05.pdf
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    "You're really pretty for a redhead"

(From my uncle's friend) "I never thought you'd grow up to be pretty"
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if this is an insult yet I somehow always feel insulted when its said to me. "you look amazing for a mother of 6" (not sure what to make of it) also when told I was a mother of 6 the lady said "but you're so beautiful" wtf?

I would take that as a compliment - meaning that you haven't let yourself go like a lot of women with lots of kids do. I understand that kids do demand a lot of your time and attention and other things in life so it is amazing if a woman like that can still look so good. And, sometimes, women like you are unfairly judged because maybe it looks to them like you are being selfish - the whole "mothers have to put themselves last" thing. There are a lot of views on this. What I say is, take care of yourself first, then you can effectively take care of others in your life. Good for you!! :drinker:
  • gkwatra
    Options
    I'm fond of " you look great for having two kids" which always sounds like, " you look as good as you could with a wrecked body". It feels like I'm disqualified from just looking good....

Yea, let's just see how guys look after they've had a few babies ... then get back to us. :grumble:
  • gkwatra
    Options
    You look so skinny! Are you sick? Are you on DRUGS?
    -My Mother

(hushed stage whisper in a very public venue from an acquaintance I hadn't seen in about 6 months, in which time I'd lost 40 pounds: Ohmygod you've lost so much weight...you don't have cancer, do you?)

:huh:

I used to get that a lot, too, a year ago when I lost about 40 lbs.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been getting this one a lot

"You look great for your age"

:grumble:

"You look great......for being a mom" who wants to hear that? I just want to look great in general.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    My grandfather likes to tell me how beautiful I am now that I lost some weight. Ummm...wasn't I beautiful before? I know he means well, but gracious!
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    'See, you have real woman breasts! They fall to your sides and almost vanish when you are laying down! So great to see real woman these days."
    .... I have pretty saggy tits... thanks

Aw! I don't think they meant you have saggy boobs. Mine do that, and at 19 years old, mine definitely aren't saggy! But they are real opposed to e.g. breast implants which never move! :)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I once told my husband he could do way better than me, his response was, "But I love you." Yep I set myself up for that one -_-
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    you look like my uncle Fester...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I once told my husband he could do way better than me, his response was, "But I love you." Yep I set myself up for that one -_-

Lol and he probably thought hewas being sweet
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    wow, did'nt know you still danced!,...yur ver agile .....4 yur size. OR Yeah,but u hav great skin?........................ ugh!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My ex explaining why he dumped me for someone else: "My dad is fine with us being friends because he thinks your personality is perfect for me. It's just that he thinks you're too short and big for me to date." I'm 5'4" and at the time I was 120 lbs.

WTF? I've never been 120lbs in my adult life and I'm the same height. That's really quite a good weight for that height! Idiots.
  • kit_katty
    Options
    When I was in middle school, one of the "pretty" girls came up to me and said, "Your so lucky!!!!!!". I looked at her and asked why. She said, "Cause you have the biggest boobs in the class". I was mortified. I legitimately thought about killing myself that night.

Kids can be cruel. :flowerforyou:
  • kit_katty
    Options
    "Aw, you never told us you were pregnant!"

Em, no, I never cos I just found out it's impossible for me and I comfort-ate myself fat!

:flowerforyou:
  • AliDarling
    Options
    Last night, hubby, baby and I went to the store. Babys in the cart, and I'm looking at the fruit section. Random woman comes up. "Awww, she's so cute." Me: "Thank you." Her: "Oh! And it looks like you're about to get a new baby brother or sister soon."
    Me: "No, she's not." a nice long silence and stare down.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My "step daughter" said that I was the only one in my group of peers that wasn't "noticeably old". Why, THANK YOU, dear. :). She also told her dad (my boyfriend) at the dinner table, that she thought I deserved a pearl necklace for Valentine's day. I almost south my drink out!
  • burtonhl
    Options
    :laugh:My poersonal favorite was "Youre pretty graceful for a big girl". I turned around and said "Youre not too wrinkled for an old lady".
    [/quote]

:laugh: YOU...are a witty girl - very funny!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    other than my one rude grandmom, she compli-insults me all the time.

Grandmom's have a knack for that don't they? :mad: