WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone;

Got a call from my son last night. Today is his last day in Puerto Rico. He said he will be happy to be home and not so happy to be back. Meaning he doesn't want to leave because of a certain someone he will leave behind. I think she will be coming to stay with her sister this summer and distance really is a good thing.

Say a prayer for my husband. He went down to nis knees a little bit ago when his back went out. He shoveled the rest of the snow yesterday. I had told him I was going to do it but no. Now I'm having to move Granny myself which is really scarry. I won't be able to get her up if she goes down. So for the rest of the day it will be potty chair for her, that way I'll only have to move her a little bit. He had told me the other day that he figured that he shouldn't be shoveling snow and that's why I did the driveway. Ugh, this is a bit frustrating.

Actually lots of things are frustrating right now:

My BF is having awful marital and financial trouble.

My car needs a new alternator.

Among the daily issues of life here.

Well better go feed Granny,

cindy
  • arborsong
    Options
    Cindy, you are my hero. I don't know how you do what you do. As soon as tax season is over, I'm going to make a special trip up to see you for lunch or something. Actually, I'm headed to Raleigh weekend after next but you wouldn't want to meet up with my motley crew. You'll love this - my ex-husband and his wife will be riding with me. We've been doing this together for the last couple of years when we go up for the babies' birthdays.

I couldn't sleep last night so I got up at 4:30 and came to the office. Now my stomach is off schedule and I'm starving because I ate (drank an almond milk protein shake) so early. Will noon ever arrive so I can have my brown rice tortilla wrap and soy chips??? yummmmm.................
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I just joined this website tonight after one of my staff told me about this. Her daughter uses it. I am really impressed with the food plan and how I can add and subtract and track my food, carbs, fats and proteins. This is so clever. Tomorrow will be my first day using this tool. I have struggled and struggled with my weight and was actually considering a Gastric Bypass and went to a talk about it last week and after attending, I went home and spent the rest of the night researching this process and I made the decision that I was going to do my weight loss the 'natural' way. this tool will help. I am very motivated but my health issues are helping with this motivation. Wish me luck!

Cheryl, welcome and good luck. This is the MOST helpful tool I've ever used. If you follow it faithfully you cannot fail. My goal was 25 lbs. I've lost 15 and have been stuck there for a couple of months......but, it is MY fault. I've been working entirely too much and don't have time to plan my food, exercixe, post or check in regularly. If I could get back on track I'm sure I could lose the additonal 10 lbs.
    Took the day off yesterday and did well. Burned over 400 calories on the treadmill and was under on my calorie intake for the day. Was supposed to work today, but my boss called at 5:30am to tell me to stay home due to the snow. So I got up around 7:30 and got on the treadmill. Burned 360 calories this am. Planning to roast a chicken for dinner tonight. Will probably have an apple and maybe wome cheese and crackers for lunch.

It's just so easy when I have time to do it !!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Faye,

I'm glad you have Netflix. They have all the Leslie Samson (?spelling) walking DVDs. That should help you a lot.

I, too, use to be terrorized by a neighbor's dog that got out often. In the end it turned out the dog was nicer that I could have ever thought. He just liked to bark at my horse and I. At the time it was terrifying. I'd get off my horse before the house, call the dog to the fence, tell him to sit and give him a dog treat when he sat. Sometimes he was in the yard, sometimes he was in the road. Where ever he was, I held the large milk bone up where he could see it and shout out "SIT" at the top of my lungs. Then while he was eating I'd walk my horse past him and get back on. After a year or more of this the owner was out and properly introduced us (his dog and I) Turns out it was a sweet, sweet dog (pit bull) who just got excited when I came by with the horse as he used to go with his owner when his owner had a horse. The dog was old and couldn't go with me, but some times he'd walk with me around the block and after I took him home, I'd go for my ride. When the dog died of old age the owner was waiting for me in the road to tell me the sad news and we both cried.

I have to go shovel the patio for my mom right now. lol Cindy, I'm sure you will understand that comment.

Jeannie
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Back from a fun weekend in Arizona. Warm warm weather is such a relief. And got to run outside . . also such a nice change. :blushing: Basically I’m just lurking. :smooched: Nothing new to post, and totally enjoying everyone’s comments. And the Personal Training week post is hilarious!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!
    143992.png
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,

I'm glad your dog incident ended well. I can relate to the horse/dog thing I've had that happen as well back when I had horses. But I'm afraid there is no hope for reconciliation in my case.

I learned something about bad dogs that day; when they really want to hurt you, they don't bark at all. At least this one didn't.

I had been walking by their house for months and this one dog of theirs really made a fuss, the others just went along after she started - snarling, growling, the whole bit. I would either ignore her or speak quietly to her as I went by.

One day I wasn't paying close attention as I went by and didn't see that the gate was open. I figured they all were in the back yard and I could get by with no fuss. She went out the gate after me (I was past the gate by then and didn't see her.) She never barked, just showed up about 4 feet away from me and crouched down on her back legs ready to spring at me. Still no barking, just slobbering, baring her teeth and snarling.

I started to move my hand towards by pocket, where I had something to help the situation, but I had to stop because she tensed even more and I knew she would be on me if I moved any more. So I just had to face her down and kept yelling at her in a deep loud voice to go home. After about 30 seconds of this she wheeled suddenly and went back to her yard.

Barking dogs is no problem for me, if that's all they do. I can make friends with most dogs. Like you say, a few cookies and a kind word will go a long way. I used to collect quite a following when I walked, one was a pit bull. I love big dogs and have had several, but with a big dog comes the responsibility to make sure they aren't a threat to others. This is a foreign concept to the people next door.

The neighbor couldn't care less, just said I could shoot it if it ever got out again. First I don't want to have to do that. Second I may not get the opportunity if I wanted to, that dog is quick.

They like having scary dogs because the woman is home alone a lot and afraid of her shadow. I didn't try to do anything legally about it because she didn't get her teeth on me and I also don't need a enemy for a neighbor.

It's started to rain here, so yard work and walking outside is out. I am going to take your Netflix suggestion and see what I can find to do for exercise today. I think I'm losing a bit. My jeans feel a bit looser and what's even better I feel better without the "not so good" food.

Faye
  • arborsong
    Options
    Brady -- we're all patiently waiting to hear about your session went with your daught'er's trainer?????
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Ah yes . . . the session with the kids’ trainer. He’s a mix of Bob and Jillian on the Biggest Loser. Probably 90% Bob and 10% Jillian. :huh: We ran about a mile there, and then into his gym in his home. I did jumps up on a stool, and squats and lunges. He also does a lot of the “body combat” type of stuff . . . big gloves and punching and elbows. Also had a big pad across his mid-section and me “knee-ing” up into it for 15 reps and then rotating out to do lifts with a cowball weight then back again. Worked up a great sweat. The hardest thing was what he called one leg pencil lifts. :sad: Sit on a chair or stool, cross one ankle over the other knee and without using your hands, stand up with crossed leg still in same position. He had me do about 15 reps on each leg, and then move to another exercise, and then come back and do another 15 on each leg, and then rotate out again and back for another 15. Kids said he was “easy” on me . . . .
    143992.png
  • arborsong
    Options
    Well, Brady, I'm here to tell you I would have been DEAD ON THE FLOOR!! I'm so proud of you for doing all of that. I can't believe you can do all of that. I sure couldn't do all of that!!! Good golly! I'm in worse shape than I thought!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Just checking in... I've been doing well with food an exercise but weight went up 3 pounds from Sunday to Monday and hasn't gone back down. I know some of it is sodium and that TOM but I'm annoyed anyway. :smile:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :drinker: Brady ..... My Goodness!!! How on earth can you manage all that? .....Superwoman or what?!!!
    I'm just about to put on the Latino DVD ..... sadly not a personal trainer in sight.:sad:
  • lntbb
    lntbb Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Jacki,
    I'm jsut starting so not sure if I'm posting in the right spot. But I had one comment to your question as to the stuck weight loss. I was working with a personal trainer in another life, and she told me that another component to steady weight loss when you are doing the exercise and staying under the calorie allotted to you - SLEEP! Odd as that sounds, the body needs the recoup time to balance the fat loss and other stuff that goes on while we're busy being healthier. I thought it was nonsense-till I tried it. It made a difference.

You'll have to discover what you need is, but when you do - stick to it, it just may help you over the edge if you are truly stuck.

Keep up the good work. It will pay off.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :noway: :explode: :explode: HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO POST....BUT I'M SCREWING UP!!!:explode: I JUST HAD SOME CANDY AND COOKIES AND I KNOW WHY! :mad: I'm upset and I'm angry. :mad: This is how I punish myself....:angry: and I'm not going to let it go another second!!!! I already had all my calories for the day so I have 26 calories left for dinner! I've been very depressed and overwhelmed at work and I think what bothers me the most is that I feel like I'm taken for granted.:frown: “Just dump on Roberta, after all she's JUST the Office manager and the rest of us are Bookkeepers/Accountants!” She's not important! I said something to my boss about it... and she told me it was my job to be dumped on any chance they get!:cry::cry: What a slap in the face.....or at least a wake up call! I wouldn't mind if they all worked hard, but they do the minimum they have to and then dump on me.:grumble: They go in the back and have cigarette breaks....they laugh and talk....and I can't take a break because I'm under a pile of THEIR work!:grumble: They get paid twice as much, and do half as much....and I let it get me down and become resentful. They are friends of my boss.....need I say more? I've been taking an attitude that I don't care anymore and yesterday I had some kind of attach on my stomach and couldn't come to work because I get dry heaves :sick: :sick: and pains so bad that I can't even put a bra on. One person came in the office and told me not to lose anymore weight because I’m starting to look old. :ohwell: She said "Remember how beautiful your skin use to be?':frown: ...Ignorant....yes...but it must be the truth.

I realize everyone is under pressure and for the most part I really love my job and even the people that are getting under my skin! I am going to practice what I preach!!!! This is NOT going to bother me in 100 years so I won't let it get to me anymore now!:flowerforyou: I WILL let go and let God...as so many others are dealing with far more serious situations.....and I will live in the moment and not touch anything else that is not nutritious today.:flowerforyou:
    Sorry for the complaining.:blushing: ......sometimes when the poor self image I project on myself is magnified by someone else’s comments and actions....I just fall apart.:cry:

I am a child of God. I am special and I will treat myself that way.

Hope everyone is doing well, and when I get a moment I’ll try to catch up on the posts.

BirdieM
    :love:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Hi Birdie - Know how you feel!! :flowerforyou:
    Been there and done that before I was "retired" 3 years ago for medical grounds!! Stress, depression or nervous breakdown - take your pick. Management ain't all sweetness and light. when the staff don't appreciate that you do more for them than they know! Don't let them get you down!:noway:

:bigsmile: I'd say you warranted the little slip with the calories and as every day is new ... begin again when the time's right. :heart: Take heart from MFP. I'm sure everyone's been in the same shoes and....Do let us know what you had for dinner with the 21 calories - might be useful!! for when anyone has had an awful day!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hi Birdie - Know how you feel!! :flowerforyou:
    Been there and done that before I was "retired" 3 years ago for medical grounds!! Stress, depression or nervous breakdown - take your pick. Management ain't all sweetness and light. when the staff don't appreciate that you do more for them than they know! Don't let them get you down!:noway:

:bigsmile: I'd say you warranted the little slip with the calories and as every day is new ... begin again when the time's right. :heart: Take heart from MFP. I'm sure everyone's been in the same shoes and....Do let us know what you had for dinner with the 21 calories - might be useful!! for when anyone has had an awful day!

Thanks...I think I'll have 2 rice cakes.....LOL Seriously, though, I WILL eat something nutritious like scarmbled eggs and a fruit. I know I'm over the CALORIES...but I don't want to be under the nutrtion! Thanks again!
    BirdieM
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks. Again my mom was in the hospital each time she enters she seems closer to death. She rallied again and is in a rehab facility. Didn't lose any weight in Janurary but have maintained my weight. This is so stressfull going from her being home trying to regain her strength then congestive heart failure and pnemonia spending 12 days in ICU this past trip to the hospital.When I am in Tennesse we eat out every meal. So I am full of stress hormones for sure. I hope to lose weight this month if I don't I will keep trying.
    Take care all,
    Lynn

My heart goes out to you. I'm almost in your shoes.(STRESSED) My dad & mom are failing and it is very hard seeing them fail. My dad will be heading into surgery in a few days. (pase maker & defibrillator). My mom is legally blind, has diabetes and Peripheral Arterial Disease, & she will be having surgery on her legs soon after my Dad.

However I can't say I look as great as you do. I have let my stress just control me. Love your Picture.

Plus, to all the ladies...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: we all have struggles in so many different ways. I wish the best to all.

I'm glad I did not have that personal trainer I read someone had a few post up. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Great job to all that are looking FANTASTIC:wink::wink: I hope to be back soon.

:heart: :heart: Kathy ( plantlady)
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Dear Fitness Pals,
    My heart goes out to all of you who are struggling with ailing parents, life pressures. It's good to know, though, that all of us are in this together. Women our age are often sandwiched between launching our children, caring for parents, all while managing a home and working full time.

When life seems so out of control, I look at what I can control. And when I think about it, I can count on controlling how much I put in my mouth. If I work at it, I can also carve out 30 minutes a day to devote to myself, whether its reading, logging my food, exercising, praying or reflecting.

So that's why I'm posting on this message board.

LANI
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :wink: I have not read anyone's post yet, but I wanted to report out. Today our branch had an AGM, which was not an AGM; it was called a "FUNdeMENTAL meeting!!! :flowerforyou: Good for those who organized it. It was well done, energizing and tiring at the same time. This is a summary of this packed day:
    - we brainstormed for our annual business plan
    - we listened to our ADM and DM about accomplishments and challenges our province faces; we also listened to a guy who told us about his pilgrimage to Spain. A huge spectrum of topics.
    - we played games that were fun yet set us to thinking
    - we celebrated the many personalities and talents resident in our branch of ~60 staff
    - we brainstormed on how we should take action on a variety of issues
    - we had lunch and breaks (they went by so quickly)
    - we took pictures and made memories
    - we did yoga
    - we had FUN
    - we were SURVIVORS!!

It was a hugely MENTALly challenging yet FUN day!

Because it was done on a ZERO $ budget, I - and many others - chose to bring my own lunch and ignore the cafeteria. I did buy a coffee in the afternoon break and ate 1/4 bran muffin.

:bigsmile: Was this a good day??? Oh yes!! Am I tired? Heck yes!! But EVERYONE helped clean up the room.

:flowerforyou: It was a good day.

Rebel :drinker:
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Brady - great job with the trainer! What fun!
    Birdie - Hang in there - you have the right attitude - it's just trying to apply it that can be tough sometimes. But I know you can do it. You're not going to let them dictate how you feel about things. It's so nice to have a place like this that you can vent and have people understand where you're coming from on work issues or taking care of elderly parents, etc.

I haven't had much time to be on lately - work has been crazy lately. I got a little off track - still staying under my calories and exercising but not watching my nutrition and not drinking my water so my scale wasn't moving. So - now I'm back on track with my water and clean eating and I'm really hoping to see some progress on that scale my next weigh in!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: to all of you with major job stress and big family care concerns......I have read all the posts with love and concern but no time to respond.....stay in the moment :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie