Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

I quit drinking it also, was shocked at how many calories were in a cup

My uncle turned me on to the Trop 50 juice. If you have a jones for some OJ, this one won't kill you at least!

Whoever came up with the Trop 50 was a genius... its only 50% juice. Buggers took regular OJ, added water, and called it a brand new product with 50% less calories and sugar! If you are going to drink OJ, just take the regular stuff and mix it with water yourself!

but you are paying for 100% OJ, when 50% of it is water....they got you there!
  • chanson104
    Options
    Cracker Barrel Apple Dumpling -- 3229 calories!!!!!!!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel Apple Dumpling -- 3229 calories!!!!!!!!
    Wows thats nuts
  • queensturg
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!

I was going to say tortillas also. We often like to have fajitas or wraps with some meat and veggies, and if I eat more than two it drives the calories way up :(
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I was reading this thread and hubby had me go to McDonald's for him , and low and behold, there on the menu the calories listed. Let's just say do not get the large anything.

This thread was VERY interesting. As for the restaurant salads etc, those things are huge. So now we know there will be times that we find ourselves stuck with a huge calorie menus. Learn to cut corners. Order a to go box and put half of it in there before you ever start eating it. Then give it away to your friends. Or better yet, just scrape half off on to their plate before you ever touch it! Order dressing on the side and use half of it.

I a lot of cases it is not to much the food that is bad as the portions. Once I started weighing food and actually paying attention to portions, I was surprised to find that most meals will fill up a saucer and not a plate. I am used to filling a plate. Restaurant plates/bowls are even bigger than home plates.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cream pies...sigh.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Granola...

I agree.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bump! So interesting!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Onion rings.

I wanted to cry when I realized how much other food I could have instead.
    They are the worst, and i could eat a whole bag
    Try the Hungry Girl recipe for onion rings.. kinda labor intensive but soooo worth it! Because it uses fiber cereal as the breading you get the great full feeling and get regular! :tongue:

that actually looks pretty simple.
    I'm going to to try that (and her fried zuchini)
    i just hope bran flakes works as well as fibre 1 (in the UK here)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Tescos do a light choices Lasagne which I love and used to buy regularly. It was the closest thing to a decent 'low-cal' lasagne I'd ever tried, at 450 cal. Portion isn't huge, but it's just enough for one and I'd have it with salad for dinner.

Then one day I happened to pull one out of the fridge and I noticed, under the big 'only 450 calories' sign on the front, it said in tiny letters at the bottom of the packet 'per half a pack'

That wouldn't have fed a mouse, and I'd been eating 900 calories for dinner!
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Man....where do I begin....

Seems everything I touch has calories galore....goes to show that when you don't pay any attention to what you eat....the result is weight gain and then we wonder...WTH...why?? lol
  • venushunter
    Options
    velum_cado...what?! 200 cals for a tiny pot of garlic dip with a pizza? That just blew my mind!
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lindt Lindor chocolate balls. No nutritional info on box but according to MFP, each ball has 3g of saturated fat! Nearly fell off my chair as I read that while I'd stuffed 4 in my mouth. It made me put the box down!
  • venushunter
    Options
    That little herb and garlic sauce pot that comes with Domino's pizza. Just one of them has about 200 calories. I won't be using them anymore. :(

Oh crap crap crap, really? Oh my god, whenever I have a Domino's I get through a couple of those pots.. and I never log them on MFP because I didn't figure it would be worth it. Oh my goodness :(

Oh I'm totally with you there, I never even considered them when I thought about cals in a pizza and I always have a couple :(
  • venushunter
    Options
    Tescos do a light choices Lasagne which I love and used to buy regularly. It was the closest thing to a decent 'low-cal' lasagne I'd ever tried, at 450 cal. Portion isn't huge, but it's just enough for one and I'd have it with salad for dinner.

Then one day I happened to pull one out of the fridge and I noticed, under the big 'only 450 calories' sign on the front, it said in tiny letters at the bottom of the packet 'per half a pack'

That wouldn't have fed a mouse, and I'd been eating 900 calories for dinner!

Damn those portion sizes, yesterday I was going to have some meditteranean couscous which at 245 cals would have taken me to just about my limit for the day, and then I realised that's for half a pack :( and I used to have that as a snack!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    One glass of orange juice is 110 cals :O.

That's the one that shocked me most. I used to drink loads of OJ, now max one glass a day. Has loads of sugar too.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit, yes it's healthy but the sugar :(
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm focused more on my macros and actually seek out high calorie foods that are healthy. When I check my calories for the day, I almost always have to have a night time snack to get in enough. I can, however, be shocked by sugar, artificial sweeteners, refined carbs, and unhealthy ingredients that are put in "food".

I don't even know what Walkers Deep Ridged crisps are... so what do I know?

thats not even the half of it- hormones, anti-biotics etc put into our foods..... 70,000 different ways to get estrogen now through body mechanics, food and environment .....and they wonder why obesity, diabetes, cancers, low testosterone is on the rise??!?!?
    I am not real sure what the crisps are either but I am guessing they are something like a thick Lays chip :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!

I skip the tortilla all together because of this!! I just chop up a bed of romaine and top it with all things taco, subbing plain nonfat greek yogurt mixed with taco sauce instead of sour cream. Add some avacado and lowfat shredded mexican / taco cheese.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden salad and breadsticks. You can do more hurt with those than you can with the meal.

Wow! I actually thought that was semi-healthy.... =(