Does everyone hate their job this much?

Replies

• Kayaking is also good exercise
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I think it's rare to get your perfect, dream job straight after graduation. Employers like a little experience first, so sometimes you just have to suffer through a job that might be a little mindless.

I graduated (in 2001) with a BA Hons degree in French and an MA in Translation. I couldn't find a Translation job anywhere so I ended up working for an international bank. I worked there for 2 years, and I could probably have done the job in my sleep, and they used to use me to train new people. I was pretty bored, but I made the most of it. I made some lovely friends while I was there and had a good laugh. I was young, and knew that it wouldn't be forever.

From there I moved to a different town (to be with my boyfriend) and I got a job in a high street bank, which I really hated, but it enabled me to move. I was there for 6 months, then I did temp work for 6 months before starting my PGCE (UK teaching qualification) in 2004.

I've been a teacher now since 2005 and I love it, but i put up with 3 years of boring jobs, and I think the experience did me good. Teaching has its downsides too - no job is perfect.

I agree that you need to learn to deal with your stress better.

Also, just keep looking for other jobs and I'm sure you will find what you want to do.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    A. I do yoga but I guess it's not helping?
    B. What relaxing hobbies are there that are cheap? I work out. My passion is riding horses but it's way too expensive to keep up.

Kayaking! It is fun and relatively easy if you go to low current locations. You can rent kayaks and/or take guided tours. You can buy one and everything you need for like $400 with very little maintanence.

$400 isn't what I call cheap!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    So you've had this job for 9 months?

No, over a year.

So less than two. Two years doing a "boring" job has you crying in the bathroom? :indifferent:

I was crying in the bathroom within a month of being there.

My job is to fill out the same 3 forms as many times a day as needed.

You are either taking too many drugs or not enough. I'm guessing the latter
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    no, sorry. I love my job. I hope you find a way to explore other options, have you considered it might be an anxiety disorder, maybe you should talk to your Dr about it. You shouldn't be that stressed out.........
  • I'm going to say you think you should have been making bank at an amazing job right out of college correct? That's the dream that was/is sold to everyone that goes to college (including me). My degree isn't special (psychology) and I had C's equal degree's going through. But I've worked a few jobs now and I've been in my current position for 2.5 years and am up for a promotion. I work for an awesome company and I don't work 40 hours a week and pay my student loans on time, I live with a roommate for the meantime and it's not bad at all. Point of the rambling is, while you busted *kitten* in college you're just like everyone else in the real world, but in your dues, work a little harder and deal with it. Job's aren't given, they are earned and it's more about who you know then how you look on paper. Sounds like you should have partied a little more, made a few more friends and worked those connections.

Also the career people aren't worth a damn in college. They told you that because you looked better than them on paper.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    I agree - if there's nothing holding you in the area, then look out of state. I'm 28 - graduated college at 21, so the economy wasn't as bad. I got a position through an internship I had done before finding a full-time job. I then got laid off when the economy started going down and the next day had the position again with the internship place. It's all about networking and keeping in touch with those networks! I then transitioned into another full-time job and LOVE my job - so no not every job you have at a young age will be horrible. Be persistent. What your describing is not healthy though, so you need to either have some stress relieving activities or leave that position. It is not going to be worth it in the long run. Saying from past experience!
  • I can't take it anymore! I graduated a little over a year ago and was the textbook overachiever in college. Dean's list, tons of awards, straight As, ran the college newspaper, editor for the lit mag and yearbook, 5 internships/jobs during the 4 years, and always always always working and doing homework. I think I partied twice while in college! I was lucky enough to get a position 3 months after graduation but I HATE it. I'm completely underemployed and although I was told I'd have the opportunity to move up, have been denied despite asking on several occasions. Managers mark me as an essential part of the team and a wonderful employee for every performance review, though. I am SO bored. I've started coming in "late" (although not technically late -- still the first one here and I work 9-10 hours a day) and working from home (something we're allowed on occasion).

I've started to have a physical reaction to work. I frequently cry myself to sleep, am a ball of anxiety anytime I'm home because I know I have to go back, and often hide in the office bathroom crying. I have mini panic attacks while at work (sweating, shaking, skin crawling, etc.) and am generally miserable all the time. Like I said, I'm BORED. It's not a hard job but it's so mindless (basically a secretary position) and I can't take it anymore! I'm an ambitious young woman. I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of today, but I've busted my butt and have gotten nowhere!! It doesn't even pay well and I'm struggling beneath my student loans.

Since I graduated, I have applied to 700 (yes, SEVEN HUNDRED) positions. I had three interviews -- one for the job I have now and two for the railroad, which was sexist the first time and hired the VPs daughter the second time. I've applied to everything, from Wendy's to management positions. You either need 5 years of experience or can do an unpaid internship while still in college. Insane! I've called places back, sent thank you letters from interviews, changed my cover letters to suit the job I'm applying for and nothing has worked out. The career services folks at my college called me the perfect candidate and said I was doing everything right, even sending out my cover letters to the entire senior class to show how it should be done.

Is this how all people are? Miserable and having panic attacks all the time and not caring about anything else because they are so focused on getting out of their job and into a new one? Everyone tells me this is just how it is. I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but I literally feel like I'm going to die in five years because of this position!! Please tell me this isn't how the rest of my life will be!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Did I write this!?!? I have to take xanax ONLY while I work or I am an anxiety ridden mess... like take me to the hospital I am dying type mess!!! I had NEVER had this problem until I began working here... and keep getting passed up for the promotions I was promised when I began working here... I have started back to school to get another degree, in the health field, to get out of here because I feeln this exact way... HOPELESS!!! Keep your head up sweetie and don't give up hope... there are better things out there for you, just keep looking!!!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Be thankful you are employed, here in the UK jobs are like gold dust and competion is really fierce I have just landed a fairly decent job with great people and am enjoying it a lot. So NO not everyone hates their job as much as you seem to.

Job market is the uk seems to have picked up a bit as far as I can see, at least the it sector in the south is pretty buoyant.

Well maybe your right, I admit I haven't looked into the numbers in any great depth. I am only going by my own experience trying to find work. and have just got a permanent job after 2 years with only getting temp short term positions. Never the less there were 85 other applicants so competition still fierce. I was very lucky.
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    I can sort of relate. I graduated in May with a nursing degree and it took months to even get one interview and job offer. I took it but it's not exactly where I want to be. I guess we all have to start somewhere. However, if you are feeling like this you should be doing everything you can to get out of there... I know it's easier said than done for sure. What you are describing has to be so bad for your body. Constant stress like that is just as bad as any disease. Find something else. In the mean time workout and do things you enjoy while at home to relax yourself. Find some good support systems as well. I hope it get’s better!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    I'm going to say you think you should have been making bank at an amazing job right out of college correct? That's the dream that was/is sold to everyone that goes to college (including me). My degree isn't special (psychology) and I had C's equal degree's going through. But I've worked a few jobs now and I've been in my current position for 2.5 years and am up for a promotion. I work for an awesome company and I don't work 40 hours a week and pay my student loans on time, I live with a roommate for the meantime and it's not bad at all. Point of the rambling is, while you busted *kitten* in college you're just like everyone else in the real world, but in your dues, work a little harder and deal with it. Job's aren't given, they are earned and it's more about who you know then how you look on paper. Sounds like you should have partied a little more, made a few more friends and worked those connections.

Also the career people aren't worth a damn in college. They told you that because you looked better than them on paper.

No, I didn't think I'd be making a ton of money right out of college. I'd been told since high school that I wouldn't be making crap. I wouldn't mind that at all if I actually liked my job. And I might be able to convince myself to like this place if it paid. But it's neither what I want to do nor a good paying job.

And for those saying to look outside of my state, I have. I've looked across the country, and I've looked in other countries.
  • In todays economy you can't expect to go into a job and move up with in that short amount of time.
    I worked at my job for almost 3 years before I was promoted to Supervisor. I actually already did the job, but my boss was not allowed to give me the position because the hospital said no. Well I continued to do the job and showed that I am a valued employee. If you want to move up and do more, start offering to do small things and show that you can do it and well. I think in todays day and age you need to just be thankful that you have a job. There are a lot of people that don't.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    For those people recommending she look out of state - that is easier said than done. I have been through that, especially earlier on, and unless you do specialized work or have an uncommon skillset/experience, companies don't usually want to bother with you. Why would they, if they can hire someone locally with the same skillset?
  • kpye2011
    kpye2011 Posts: 40 Member
    My job is boring and I feel unappreciated too BUT I wouldn't promote someone that is crying in the bathroom. A little more optimism may help you get thru this rough patch. Good luck!
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    You shouldn't hate your job that much, or be that stressed about work. I am assuming it's hard to find a job because you got a degree with low job availability & high competition and/or you're not very good on paper or in interviews. Have you thought about going back to school and making a career change?

1. My degree has very high job availability...or did, before the economy.
    2. I'm VERY good on paper.
    3. I'm not a people person so interviews are perhaps not my best, but I've only had three so who knows. I was told I did fabulously in two of the interviews. The other one, I ranked highest on the test score. I was given 5 minutes to speak in the actual interview so I'm not really sure about that one.

1. If it doesn't have high job availability now..then it doesn't really matter about the economic downturn. Maybe move to where your boyfriend is to see if the market is better there for your field.
    2. College achievements don't count once you have had your first job. Think about the skills your current job have given you and really focus on those.
    3. Learn to be personable, even if it's faking. I, and others I have worked with, would rather hire a competent person with personality over a highly intelligent person with lack or personality.

Breathe. I know of few people, myself included, who have like their first job. Many people never like any job they have, so it's a challenge. Just don't stay where you're constantly unhappy- that's not good for your health.

Edit: typos
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    :sad:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I can't take it anymore! I graduated a little over a year ago and was the textbook overachiever in college. Dean's list, tons of awards, straight As, ran the college newspaper, editor for the lit mag and yearbook, 5 internships/jobs during the 4 years, and always always always working and doing homework. I think I partied twice while in college! I was lucky enough to get a position 3 months after graduation but I HATE it. I'm completely underemployed and although I was told I'd have the opportunity to move up, have been denied despite asking on several occasions. Managers mark me as an essential part of the team and a wonderful employee for every performance review, though. I am SO bored. I've started coming in "late" (although not technically late -- still the first one here and I work 9-10 hours a day) and working from home (something we're allowed on occasion).

I've started to have a physical reaction to work. I frequently cry myself to sleep, am a ball of anxiety anytime I'm home because I know I have to go back, and often hide in the office bathroom crying. I have mini panic attacks while at work (sweating, shaking, skin crawling, etc.) and am generally miserable all the time. Like I said, I'm BORED. It's not a hard job but it's so mindless (basically a secretary position) and I can't take it anymore! I'm an ambitious young woman. I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of today, but I've busted my butt and have gotten nowhere!! It doesn't even pay well and I'm struggling beneath my student loans.

Since I graduated, I have applied to 700 (yes, SEVEN HUNDRED) positions. I had three interviews -- one for the job I have now and two for the railroad, which was sexist the first time and hired the VPs daughter the second time. I've applied to everything, from Wendy's to management positions. You either need 5 years of experience or can do an unpaid internship while still in college. Insane! I've called places back, sent thank you letters from interviews, changed my cover letters to suit the job I'm applying for and nothing has worked out. The career services folks at my college called me the perfect candidate and said I was doing everything right, even sending out my cover letters to the entire senior class to show how it should be done.

Is this how all people are? Miserable and having panic attacks all the time and not caring about anything else because they are so focused on getting out of their job and into a new one? Everyone tells me this is just how it is. I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but I literally feel like I'm going to die in five years because of this position!! Please tell me this isn't how the rest of my life will be!

I totally share and feel your pain. I am a lot older than you, so I am forced to suck it up as I have a mortgage, bills etc same as everyone else.

i can totally understand what you are going through and those who say ' move on', 'get another job' don't realise that this current world we live in, Jobs are incredibly scarce.

My advice to you? if you can go back and do some sort of post graduate study or ... sell all your worldly goods, resign from your career and buy a back pack and travel the world for a year while you are young enough to do it. when you return,you will be much more rounded, and far more more marketable, or you might have ideas spring to your mind whilst you reflect .

I am actually glad you did'nt get a Job in Wendy's etc..you strike me as an intellectual and something corporate usually has a bad effect on free thinkers.

Good luck.
  • I had a job like that.
    I used to start crying randomly on my way to work and people would look at me like I was crazy.
    I would call my mom while I was walking towards work, crying.
    She thought I was just being lazy, but I literally couldn't take it.
    They fired me even though I was awesome at the job.

Oh no, resignation in lieu of termination.
    They were getting rid of me either way.

Best thing that ever happened to me.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Better yet, have you tried using a recruiter? They can help you narrow down/focus your job search.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    So you graduated nearly a year ago? Got a full time job 3 months after graduation and think you are "underemployed"
    Honey, you're fresh meat. In this economy you are competing with out of work adults who have more years work experience than you've probably been alive. A college education guarantees you nothing and so many people our age (I just turned 30 and am assuming you're under 30) ...so many people our age think a college degree should be the golden ticket and opportunities should be falling into your lap. I have a master's degree, graduated top honors, worked full time and paid my through school. And II work at a job where I probably will not elevate too far in the next couple of years. but I can pay my rent, i can buy food and enjoy my leisure time. I work from 8-10hrs and when i go home I talk a bit about my day, work out and forget about it. It can be depressing realizing that school is not all it takes. Try volunteering on the weekends in something you are passionate about. Since you are a valued employee, ask your manager if you can be cross-trained in other responsibilities. Take initiative. Nothing will be handed to you just because you are a college graduate. You may have to do jobs that you think are beneath you. I started out cleaning housing projects.....
This discussion has been closed.