"Lost 100lbs & found out what the world thinks of fat ppl"

Replies

• keno101
    keno101 Posts: 1 Member
    You can't judge people on liking what they like. The hard truth is some people prefer the people they date to be fit. And chances are by becoming fit your friend me now become attracted to you. Thing is he already likes you that's why you are friends, but attraction is s tricky thing. Just don't hold it against him, he is just a man and as a human being we can't help what we are naturally attracted to.
  • CONJL049
    CONJL049 Posts: 3 Member
    Beautifully written!
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    I agree that the world, in general, is a very judgmental, and cruel place. Most people tend to take things at face value, never really thinking about all the possible variations behind one person's situation. Example: a few weeks ago, a friend and I were out to eat at a local restaurant. One of the hostesses at this restaurant is obviously obese ( for the record, as was I not even 12 short weeks ago). My friend made a comment under their breath that apparently "they hire anybody at this place".
    I was really disappointed at that statement, and beyond that, I was saddened. Saddened that someone I care so much for could have so little concern or compassion for other human beings. And then I wondered.. what did they think about me when I was wobbling around at 218 pounds in March of this year? What is that all about?

Next example: I work in a somewhat athletic industry and I have noticed that since losing 40+ pounds, I have gained much more respect and kindness from my peers and superiors. Maybe it's me... maybe its because I have more confidence now... who knows.. but I personally feel that because I made this commitment to lose the weight, and because these people are seeing me do the work to make it happen, they are showing more respect to me as both a human and an equestrian. :smile: Which is nice.. but sometimes I look back at fat Kimi, and I feel badly that I kept her in a box for so long...
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Really great article...I agree that people who have never been in the 'fat' situation don't understand what its like...and will never understand what it is like until they are in that position.
  • Zwissmiss
    Zwissmiss Posts: 3 Member
    I found this article compleatly relatiable..I was a very obease child..then I lost a load of weight at 14..and sadly by my early 20's started packing it back on; and more :( People defonately treated me differently as a thin woman; particularly men. Now its as though I'm invisable and its hard not to feel resentful.
  • Tender78
    Tender78 Posts: 119 Member
    bump
  • I feel like with the whole "opening doors" thing it also applies to make-up. When I go out in my sweats with no makeup, nobody looks at me but when I'm dressed up with my make-up on and my hair done, I feel like people treat me differently. It doesn't come as a huge surprise, but it's like I'm the same person with or without makeup, just like that woman was, with out without 100 pounds.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    This was great!
  • Thank you for posting that article! I can certainly relate...I was fat my entire life! I lost 160 pounds over the last two years and I saw how different life is when you weigh 220 pounds as opposed to 380. I gained 23 pounds over the winter and I panicked because I realized that I don't ever want to be that fat girl again. I'm back in control!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Thank you for sharing, very interesting read.
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Love this article!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    What a BEAUTIFUL article!! I love it
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    I have a different take on the story you shared and it can be summed up in one statement

"There is nothing beautiful about fat, inside or out."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    This is very interesting to me, especially since I was once thin and gradually became fat. My mother used to tell me about this kind of thing, she was a chubby little girl and then become overweight with her pregnancies and just kept getting bigger. It now makes me wonder if people didn't pass me over on promotions because of my weight. I always blamed favortism, but who knows?
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    I absolutely love this article. But the funny thing is that I've had a somewhat opposite experience after losing the weight.
    When I started dieting and exercising last June, my motivation was to "be acceptable to men" (I had really low self-esteem because of my weight and measured my self-worth by how men treated me). And now that I've lost 60 lbs, wear a size 6/8, walk around in a bikini, I've found that men pretty much treat me the same. The "bad" ones still ignore me, don't open doors, only want to mess around and not date, etc. But the "good" ones, the guys I dated when I was obese, still tell me that I was just as beautiful then as I am now and that I didn't need to lose weight.

So I'd say I never reached my original goal to "be acceptable to men." These social benefits that she talks about in the article really depend on the type of people you're surrounded by.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    bump
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Thank you to everyone for reading it! I have read this article many times and it makes me cry. I am no where near my goal of 100 lbs lost, so it also gives me hope, but people always see a common denominator of losing the weight & feeling they can't trust anyone because those same ppl that hated them before now love them. It scares me to think of that. i am currently in love with my best friend. he knows, but says we are only friends. i fear that once i lose the weight he'll like me- and i'll just accept it. i dont want to be treated differently because of my weight but it is a reality for those of us suffering with being overweight.
    it's hard to think that some of my closest friends, who say "i look great the way i am" are secretly thinking that i look horrible and should lose weight. :(

Thank you for the article, it definately gives me something to think about.

You absolutley read my mind! I realize that the ones we love...really do love us; but I honestly believe that deep down they think that we should lose weight and would be happier if we did. I don't know how many times I have been told that "I am beautiful the way I am". Sometimes I wish they would just be honest with me, my doctor won't even be honest with me...I mean common, I'm 296 lbs...this is not healthy; so tell me so. I need to hear the brutal honesty because I think that I am looking at myself through rose-colored glasses and think that everything is fine.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Love it.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    i agree with everything adding i think thou obese men get it even more there not many women that like chubby men
  • I dunno... I started around 220lbs, and I am now around 120, at 5' 7". To be perfectly honest, people are mean to me, so much more now than when I was overweight. Case in point, I actually got hired to work as receptionist at a day spa where all of the therapists were morbidly obese, and at the end of the day, I was told that I was not a good fit for the the culture of the place, that at 160 lbs, I was too thin, and that just looking at me made other people uncomfortable and sick. Could you imagine saying to somebody who is heavy "You know, you can't work here. Looking at you makes me sick. Everyone here is uncomfortable just seeing you here." People would say that it's unkind, cruel, and all kinds of very true things about how inappropriate it is. But say these things to a skinny girl? A-ok!

And I hate that people would rather look at me than listen to me. Yes, guys ask me out, telling me I am smart, funny, creative, and exciting to be with. But then they text me nonstop asking for pictures, and if I dare say that I am not in a rush to get physical, I get the door, and fast! And I am ok with that, because that door is the kindest favor they can offer me, if that's really all they're after. I didn't like it when chubby chasers would go after me either, or when guys would come right out and say "Hey, I don't mind that you're a big girl. You look good for your size!" But that has nothing to do with me. That foot-in-mouth disease is THEIR issue, and not mine. And once I got to be under a size ten, people really started losing interest. At 120 lbs, I still have 38" hips and a D cup, so it's not like I'm all sharp and pointy everywhere. It's just... I dunno. Maybe people feel threatened? My husband of eight years left me for a significantly heavier woman, even though I was a medically healthy weight when we met, but we were kids, and before I moved away from the neighborhood where we had both lived, he pulled me aside and said "Hon, I know you've worked hard for this, but you've always looked better with a little more weight on you." Nobody ever says "Hon, I know you're a really good cook, but you've always looked better with a trimmer waistline."

I mean, I am glad that I have lost this much weight. Before, I was tired all the time, and any time I had a medical issue, doctors would ignore my complaints, insisting that every symptom was "normal" for a fat person, but that if I just lost the weight, it would all go away. It takes a lot p!ss and vinegar to look somebody in the eye and say "You told me it was because I was fat. Now that I have lost a hundred pounds, will you at least run some blood tests?" So I get medical attention when I need it now, but now that I am slender, everything is anxiety. "Clearly it's anxiety, because look at you! You don't even EAT!" I assure you that I eat all day, but eat in such a way that I maintain a healthy BMI now, and have been holding a healthy range for four years. (I actually have a degree in health and wellness, so please no assumptions about disordered eating or body dysmorphic thinking, thank you.)

And at work, clients tease me... "Oh, is the little girl going to take care of me now? Do you need me to lift that clip board for you? Let me sit down before you get too close. I don't want to make any quick movements that might cause a draft and blow you away." Ha effing ha. It wouldn't be funny if they said "Oh is the big girl going to take care of me? Let me sit down before you walk in, because I would hate for the earthquake of your steps to knock me over."

The bottom line is that people are people. You can't say that all fat people are one way, and all skinny people are another, and all in between people are such and such. I tire of the whole "This is what a REAL woman looks like!" meme. What? Are other women imaginary? I'm not imaginary at 120 lbs any more than I was at 220. Mean is mean, whether you are fat or thin. People who will judge on appearances will think that you are stuck up and fake if you look good at any size, or disgraceful and laughable if you look bad at any size. People who want to judge will judge.

Losing weight only solves one problem-- the weight problem. If you are insecure, you will find other things to be insecure about. If you love yourself, and know how to put your best side forward, you will do that at any size. There is a great video on YouTube called "A Fat Rant." I recommend it to anybody who wants a nice seven minutes and forty six seconds of friendly but well considered straight talk.

Best of luck to all of you. Breathing more easily, feeling more energetic, and being able to keep up with my son have been the best part of this. I can actually stand on my head now. I'm working on my hand stand now. I want to learn to ride a bike next. I have been skydiving (in a custom made super hero outfit), snorkeling, kayaking... all things I was either too afraid or too short of breath to do. I still can't find clothes that fit at most stores, and if I drop one more size, no more Old Navy for me. But getting there is such a sense of accomplishment. Feeling better. Being younger all of a sudden. Knowing that the judgmental things people have said aren't true. It's all gold.

But speaking of judgmental... we've all been on the receiving end. Stop the cycle of exchange. Don't assume that it's us and them. We're just one, big, diverse "us." Fat, skinny... we're all just people.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!