Band nerds?

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    French horn 8 years, double bass for about a year.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Tromboner here!

Band camp! (Not that exciting. A lot of sweat, dehydration, stress and various passing out.) Also push-ups. Lots and lots of push-ups.

Marching band was concert band at my high school. We marched during football and parade season and sat on the stage the rest of the year.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Tromboner here!

Band camp! (Not that exciting. A lot of sweat, dehydration, stress and various passing out.) Also push-ups. Lots and lots of push-ups.

And sock lines.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OFFICIAL Band geek since 1984!

Clarinet
    Bassoon
    Flute
    Bari Sax
    Piano
    Mallet Percussion...

My chief instrument is Bassoon right now and Im currently performing with a private university's orchestra right now... and I love it!
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Trombone, grades 7-9. Quit after the 4th of July parade before my 10th grade year because I couldn't bear the thought of another marching season. Originally intended on seeing about joining back for concert season, but never did.

Little sister (2 years behind me) played sax, had the rental instrument and folks bought her one after a couple of months, so I attempted to teach myself sax while there were two in the house. Never pursued it, though.

Taught myself a tiny bit of piano when my folks had one, can still play simple tunes by ear. Used to piss my ex-wife off with that one. :)

And I've had a guitar for 20 years that I keep meaning to learn how to play, but I never have.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Tromboner here!

And sock lines.

And innuendos -- hence the word "tromboner". :devil:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Well...I was a band nerd, then I went to music school, and now I'm a professional band nerd (I'm a music teacher!)

Me too, except make that retired music teacher. Still play, but orchestra. I'm an Oboe player which is pretty much queen of the nerds!?

Oh, and I'm Canadian and love all the marching band and colour guard stories because we don't have many of those here.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Flute, concert and marching band,(all bands members were both) also cymbals one year in high school marching band due to a dearth of percussionists and 'more than enough' flute players...no band camp...I also sang, second alto and was "All State" alternate one year...I was nearly 40 before I realized that meant I was the second best singer the school had.

I also can play a bit of piano and marimba, tho' sadly I no longer sing.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Woodwinds! Clarinet to be exact!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I never went to an actual band camp, but we had summer band and i DESPISED it because it was too d*mn hot to be running around in the dirt "practice field" in polyester suits breathing any air you do have left into your instrument, trying not to trip over yourself and bump into anyone else in the "formation". Thanksgiving football game is probably what made me hate football so much. Leaving sleepovers early the night before because I had to get up early to watch football and perform on the field during half time in the rain 99% of the time. oh and missing out on time with my family. :explode: btw i did it until my freshman year in high school because both of my parents are music teachers. i played alto sax, "keyboard bass" then on my own piano, guitar and bass guitar.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Woodwind here!

Flute during concert season and piccolo during marching season.
    I was student director for the wind ensemble my junior year and drum major for the marching band my senior year.

I lived for band and don't regret one second of it!

I also went to band camp. The stories are true. ;)
  • swthrtsmrf
    Options
    I was not a music player, but I was in the color guard all four years. And I did indoor guard for two of the four.

Now all band nerds remember this look of some degree or another!
    552019_10151120042064279_328757669_n.jpg
  • eliecia
    eliecia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Total band nerd here. Flute, picolo and trumpet. I was even president of KKY the co-ed band fraternity.
    Awesome :) I was a TBS girl myself :)
  • eliecia
    eliecia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Big band Geek. Trombone was my principle instrument. Went to college for it. With my Ba in Music i am now a housewife :P
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Band nerd here - Flute & picolo...and to add insult to injury I also knocked my knees at band camp and passed out...the other kids sang "Another One Bites the Dust" every time I walked by the rest of the school year...jeez.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    <--- Orch dork. Orch dorks > Band nerds. End of thread.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Colorguard. I was the Captain of the flag team. Awww yeah.

So was I!

As was I my Senior year! :smile: :drinker:
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tuba player and KKY member at Michigan State back in the late 80's. Alumni marching band is performing the halftime show at the homecoming game this month.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Alto sax in pep, marching, concert, symphonic bands and wind symphony. Also in symphonic orchestra
  • kalywilliams
    kalywilliams Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Completely. Started on trumpet and moved to baritone...loved every minute of it and all the friends I made. My kids are now "bandies" as well!