For those of us with only 10-30 pounds to lose....

Options

Replies

• misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    me too. I need to lose maybe 20 pounds. 30 at most. I lost ten of them last summer. got a boyfriend, got too comfortable, gained it back, trying again
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have 10 more to go!
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started on Aug 27th and the first month lost 8lbs. My starting weight was 130lbs and was down to 122. Got stuck there for awhile and then cut out all carbs and switched to non-fat dairy, lean meat, and veggies while staying on my 1200cal diet. After 10 days of eating like this with no cheat days I finally allowed myself 2 cheat days then went back to my strict diet. Apparently that worked because now I'm down to 118. Only have 4 more lbs to go before I hit my goal weight ..... Finally ..... Seems like it is harder to lose just those last few lbs. Hoping i'll hit my goal weight by the end of the month! :)
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just a bit over 20 pounds to lose now, and I haven't been below my current weight in at least 10 years. It's definitely harder to lose it now, in my 40's.
  • roguestates
    Options
    Yup, 30 lbs to go and it's been super slow... 2 lbs in 7ish months after the initial drop? It's funny how when I was younger at 130#, I was trying to lose weight, and now I'm working hard to get back to 130#.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's SO HARD to lose those pounds! You're not very big..so your body needs less calories to exist...which means your deficets(sp?) are small, even on low calorie diet. I feel like I run a marathon (or more) for each pound lost! Patience patience patience..and work work work!!!

Haha. Anyone else in the 10-30 club?

I was there. It is HARD because your deficit does need to be more shallow as you become leaner. The last lbs shed slower. It's like watching grass grow. But it can be done. If I did it at age 50 with all the female aging issues against me anyone can do it!

Here is what I keep in mind, even form maintenance now:

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Some people can eat at a big calorie deficit and some people can't. Everyone is different. Even a small calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones as such, add a new workout routine, and those will make more spikes. This is a huge waiting game and requires much patience. Add in emotional eating issues and then you have more complications.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Same. Stuck at 150-160 and goal is 130. Been like this for about a year.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    So i guess with my last 6 pounds I have to probably start lifting to tone...because I seem to always go up and down ...need to join a gym december!
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I want to lose like 30ish pounds and it was REALLY hard for it to start coming off for me, the first 4lbs were instantaneous almost and then my weight went up like 2lbs and stayed there for a while.....

Now that I started insanity, however, they've been flying off :) I love the scale now <3 (it still makes me nervous though... I try to not weigh myself more than like once a week or once every two weeks)
  • honestykay
    honestykay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have 2 lbs to get to my first goal and 7 lbs to my final goal. I have only lost 1 lb in the last 3 months. It drives me crazy. I really want to tone up but that doesn't seem to be happening very fast either. I work out at least 5 days a week and stay under or at my calories. I could use any advice or motivation.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hardly gained a single pound my entire adult life, but I was naturally very active. Then I hurt my knee, got relegated to the couch for a few months, and then had surgery, and sat for a few more months before rehab. I gained about 15 pounds.
    Got rid of 10 pounds with a lot of work. Cannot banish the last five.
    It is difficult to learn to restrict your eating when you have never had to do so before.
  • snapril68
    Options
    If you haven't already try switching to a lean protein, non-fat dairy diet with no carbs. That's what helped me when I got stuck, but make sure to allow yourself at least one cheat day once a week or you'll go crazy and eat back your weight. LOL .... Good Luck :)
  • snapril68
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds, and have about 30 to go - I've been stalled for 5 MONTHS!!
    Nothing seems to work anymore! :((

If you haven't already try switching to a lean protein, non-fat dairy diet with no carbs. That's what helped me when I got stuck, but make sure to allow yourself at least one cheat day once a week or you'll go crazy and eat back your weight. LOL .... Good Luck :)
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    Thanks for posting this wall dancer, its a tough fight to the finish. Exactly what u said.
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I have about 5 to the UGW==but over the last 2 years I have lost 55. I am hoping with the exercise and the weight loss I will be happy and into my Kasper suits I love so well.In July I had a plateau and was the same for over 3 weeks. I have never had cheat days. So I stepped up the exercise and cut back on the carbs and I have lost a few more pounds.--We can all do this!!!
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am 5 lb from my goal and have been stuck here for a couple of weeks now. I'm not disappointed though because I'm happy with my other measurements and am noticing muscle gain and definition. Even though the scale hasn't moved in about 2 weeks, my waist has decreased by about 1/4" over that time. Overall, I have gone from 202lb to 170lb and my waist has gone from 39" to 31 7/8. My fitness level continues to improve. I'm running (training) 5 to 5 1/2 miles at 7:30 min/mile pace and running weekly road races averaging under 7:10 min/mile for 3-5 miles. So...I'm not too concerned about the scale number.
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm there, with about 25 lbs. to lose.

The first 6 came off fast, now I'm hovering at two lbs. either direction Today is my one month anniversary and I guess I can't complain too much. I have lost a little over 1 1/2 inches on my waist!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I have about 10 lbs i want to lose and it is all in my midsection area. It just wont go away :((
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just gained 30 pounds in the last 2 years, and really only just started tracking and exercising.

I'm grateful that I caught myself on time, I was ready to let go.

But I know it's going to be hard. I had to do this once when I was 15, and I had to work VERY hard.

So glad to have a place to share!

All of your accomplishments are so amazing!!! I can't wait to start seeing my weight go down.
  • dawnM3007
    Options
    As of this morning I have 9.5 lbs to loose to reach my ultimate goal of 140 but I think I'd prob look ok at 145ish but yeah the weight likes to stick when there's only a little to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!