Count bites not calories

Options
I did an experiment last week of counting bites instead of calories and lost 9 lbs! I decided a bite would equal 50 calories and my goal was to stay under 20 bites a day. The hardest part was the mental aspect of it. I ate better than usual since I wanted real food for every bite I took. I'm going to do this another week and see how it goes! :happy:

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you are having 20 bites and estimating them at 50 calories then this would put you well under the recommended daily amount of calories. It worries me as it sounds very obsessive and could easily lead to an eating disorder. Please be sensible x
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's 1000 cals a day. I'm only 5ft tall and 35 lbs overweight. Thanks for the concern but I'm sure I'll be fine.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    that is a horrible system.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is counting bites going to be a sustainable plan for you? Can you see yourself doing that for the rest of your life? Do you really want to become known as the 20-bite Woman?
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    :noway: ummm that is a little weird...how do you know if you are getting enough calcium,protein,vitamins etc?
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'd never have the patience of counting bites, even if I thought it sounded like a good system, which I don't.
    Best wishes anyway.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1 bite does not necessarily = 50 calories..... that seems high. a banana is about 100 calories. i do not think i could do that in 2 bites. just as an example.

and i agree with the above poster. that does sound really under and could lead to a lot of problems...
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    To be honest it sounds like a stupid way to lose weight. I doubt each bite of food is anywhere near 50 calories unless you are eating high calorie food, so you are probably eating a lot less than 1000 cals. You might lose weight fast doing this, but are you just going to eat 20 bites for the rest of your life? If not, you'll probably put most of the weight back on when you start eating properly again.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Just for breakfast I probably take 20 bites and it's only 250 calories.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    20 bites of what? so confused...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for your progress.

I wouldn't recommend doing this.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a salad for lunch each workday. If I used that, I would use my daily allotment of bites just eating the salad! Plus, imagine eating pasta alfredo. I'm not really sure every bite is 50 calories. One bite of salad is 10 calories while one bite of pasta alfredo is 100 calories. I think I'll stick with counting calories and measuring my food!
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm thinking that most healthy foods won't have 50 calories in a bite. The 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt I have for breakfast every morning has less than 70 calories. Yesterday, I had a huge plate of egg whites scrambled with peppers, onions, zucchini and mushrooms-the total for the entire plate was around 100 calories, but it was far, far more than 2 bites. I think that, if you are only having 20 bites of food in a day, you could be vastly underestimating what you are eating.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is a really bad system that just doesn't make any sense what so ever.

You can't compare a bite of an apple to that of a burger.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    that is a horrible system.
    Lol agreed.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 10in and I eat way more than 1000 calories(I've been averaging 1740 calories for the last three weeks each day)and I'm still losing weight, 3.6lbs in three weeks to be exact. You don't need to starve your body to lose weight.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    20 bites could be one bowl of cereal! Sure, you will lose weight because it's starvation.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steal this from Lea.

*blinks*
  • If it works for you...just make sure you're looking after yourself and getting the right amounts of everything too. :)
This discussion has been closed.